Author Topic: Can this AC come out?  (Read 2725 times)

Offline DaveinRI

Can this AC come out?
« on: November 01, 2016, 05:52:24 PM »
 new guy Dave here (bus is in projects) and I would like to ask the forum what can i do with this unit. Bus was in service and was delivered with the air running ice cold. PO said all was fine and he had it for several years without AC issues. So for now I am planning my build considering I will be leaving the OTR air intact. BUT, I assume this unit in the back is also and additional unit for the OTR system.

Question one would be,is it remotely possibly to remove unit without losing all of my charge, or none at all.

If I do remove and lose charge whats seems to be the current cost of the recharge?

An then if i do have to recharge, if my system seems to be in overall good shape should I downsize my compressor while i'm doing all that or just leave it well enough alone? I thought I read a post about the factory unit being overkill for RV OTR air and could save some hp/efficiency by downsizing, if the price is right of course.

Thanks in advance, here is a picture of the unit. Of course i'm assuming its AC because of what appear to be high pressure lines, could be wrong. Have not really put a ton of effort into tracing lines yet.

Dave

Offline luvrbus

Re: Can this AC come out?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:16:26 PM »
That is just a auxiliary unit probably a Welch it can come out a good AC guy could pinch it off and save the Freon or recycle it you don't need to buy 30lbs of Freon and keep the factory sized compressor   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline brmax

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:25:47 PM »
Dave welcome to the fun.
yes, if you reclaim/recycle it ;)

don't know cost to re charge, that has labor to

on the reduce size, over kill that's is true in the great north, but Texas ? uhm
probably have to let google be your search friend or search here on site or both with this site as a tag, sometime it amazes me how fast that is.

good day
Floyd
1992 MC9
6V92
Allison

Offline scanzel

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 03:58:33 AM »
I kept my otr air only because I left a lot of my windows in we like to see the scenery and looking out when camping so a big heat generator when in the sun. Checked the inside temp on glass one day and it registered 135 degrees. When I had my whole otr system checked out had a bad compressor and some leaks, $4200.00 later. So it can be expensive initially. You can rip it all out but you then need to know how you are going to cool while going down the road. Some run the generator to power the roof tops while driving but if the generator fails then what. That is why I kept otr redundant systems. Welch Industries and Red Dot make after market systems to run off the engine with smaller compressors but by the time you size the system properly and the units and plumbing and any ducting it will be expensive. My suggestion is remove the add on unit and keep the otr, but it is really your choice. Remember one thing if the air fails while driving the inside can become a big heated box very quick and wife and any children will not be happy. Good Luck and Enjoy it is an experience building one of these conversions.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline bigred

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2016, 06:18:30 AM »
World Air is a great source for compressors and other AC parts!!
Rhet Raby           137 Elk Mtn Rd       Asheville N c 28804             1993 Prevost XL

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 08:04:14 AM »
The condenser, evaporator,dryer,expansion valve and the motors are all sized for that compressor. If it works keep it, that add on unit may have a separate compressor hidden some place too 

Offline TomC

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 09:12:43 AM »
Yes the OTR A/C is working well now. But when it takes a dump, it is VERY expensive to fix. Most motorhomes now have a dash air that runs off the main engine (like a car A/C). Then most high end motorhomes are using 3, 4 even 5 roof top A/C's.
I have a 40ft transit with huge windows that we kept but have been changed to single pane RV windows. We love the huge windows that bring the outdoors into us. My only A/C is three Coleman 13,500btu roof tops with old fashion direct discharge (no ducting). The front A/C is close enough to blow directly on me when driving and with a dash fan, always am comfortable. Running down the road, we simply run the 10kw generator and 2 roof tops is usually enough. When it gets over 100 outside, then the third is kicked on. Simplicity is always best-but you do it your way. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2016, 09:25:14 AM »
If you stay on top with the maintenance on a working OT air they are not expensive to keep going, when the compressor takes a dump then it runs into $$$$$.If the unit wasn't working then the cost for repairs could be more than the average person would like to pay out.It is nice to drive in 115* with the sun coming through the windshield and you are nice and comfy with the OT air      

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal