Author Topic: Saudi MCI Bus?  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Saudi MCI Bus?
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »
Is this a Saudi bus for sale in Dallas? $4800. Looks like a double roof to me...

https://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/for/5955313883.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
Re: Saudi MCI Bus?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 06:29:34 AM »
Yep the Saudi buses all had double roofs to keep it cooler inside. Wish my bus had that system.  They ordered all of them that way from what I understand.  It will be interesting to follow this thread as I am interested in this too.
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline B_K

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 07:03:18 AM »
Yep the Saudi buses all had double roofs to keep it cooler inside. Wish my bus had that system.  They ordered all of them that way from what I understand.  It will be interesting to follow this thread as I am interested in this too.

There ya go Gary buy it and make it BCM's new project bus doing a story on each item as you convert it and then do some kind of promotional give away like Hot Rod and all the other magazines do!
;D  BK  ;D

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
Anyone can add a "saudi-style" double roof to their coach.

Slick way, strip the roof panels from a scrapper, they already match your radius...

Adding the insulation to the outside, and skinning over is a strategy that few have used, roof raising being the religion of choice.

George Meyers did a transit that way. Anyone seen or heard from George?

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:34:42 AM »
That bus looks like it has the mid-ship door too. 6V-71 and auto stock.
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 09:45:35 AM »
The serial and unit number matches the Saudi buses,quite a few of those ended up in Dallas and were sold from there by Greyhound.No I haven't seen or heard from George or Sue in years BW
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »
Anyone can add a "saudi-style" double roof to their coach.

Slick way, strip the roof panels from a scrapper, they already match your radius...

Adding the insulation to the outside, and skinning over is a strategy that few have used, roof raising being the religion of choice.

George Meyers did a transit that way. Anyone seen or heard from George?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Yes, I just talked to him and Sue today (they live about 30 min. from me), they are doing just fine, although they are not as active as they once were. He is still an officer with the Great Lakes Chapter of the FMCA, and his busiest current hobby is Geneology. He does not actively sell his books and videos anymore, but he still has a few items on hand. He still travels in his Gillig Transit. I met him and Sue at the MAK Conversion Conventions in the nineties, and we discovered that we both worked for the government and were both from the Dayton, Ohio area. They are still at the same address.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 03:31:58 PM »
George is a pretty good cook Sue told me she retired and turned the cooking over to him  ;D
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
Yep Scott just like our's. Some problems are the rear bay door will have no lifts if the rear door was taken out and fixed closed. The roof is a pain to paint completely. I had to replace a lot of the air system. Like Luke told me once that they are a good little coach. There were also some 9's that were Saudie's with the double roof. There were 200 built in Canada and shipped to the US to be completed and then shipped to Saudi Arabia in 1979 to set up the Bus system there by Greyhound/Aramco yes the oil company. Shipped back in 1989, most through NJ,Texas and Mexico.
Dave5Cs
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2017, 03:00:32 AM »
There were 200 built in Canada and shipped to the US to be completed and then shipped to Saudi Arabia in 1979 to set up the Bus system there by Greyhound/Aramco, yes, the oil company. Shipped back in 1989, most through NJ,Texas and Mexico.

To add to Dave's comment, it's my understanding that approximately 75 of the 200 were built with just the single sedan door, the rest were two-door transit style configurations.  They all had an extra A/C evaporator unit on the rear wall above the passenger seats to help cool the interiors in the hot Saudi heat.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
And the rear door for those who don't know where for the women. They were not and in some cases still allowed to ride in front. The coaches were used to take oil workers back and forth to the oil well each day and the transits with the rear doors were used to take the families shopping and around towns etc. All have a yellow sticker inside the Radiator fill door that states the same name who worked on them Abdule
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 09:37:25 AM »
There ya go Gary buy it and make it BCM's new project bus doing a story on each item as you convert it and then do some kind of promotional give away like Hot Rod and all the other magazines do!
;D  BK  ;D

Great Idea B_K.  If you buy it and bring it to me, I will do exactly that.  ;D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline B_K

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 01:42:48 PM »
Great Idea B_K.  If you buy it and bring it to me, I will do exactly that.  ;D

Yes Gary I'll do that could you please send me a BCM check to pay for it though!
I can't even afford to buy the stamp to send in the certificate for the free emag I got at Arcadia!)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
And the rear door for those who don't know where for the women. They were not and in some cases still allowed to ride in front.
That's still better than in some countries where the women, children, goats, chickens, infidels etc would ride on the roof.   Actually it 's sometimes better up there  -  you can see where you're going, and it's nicer than smelling some Bedouin's armpits for hours inside.

I wonder how effective those double roofs actually were?   There doesn't seem much of an air gap there, and if the air isn't freely circulating in that space then it may not help much.   I have several inches of space between my solar panels and the bus roof, and it's enough to make a noticeable difference in ceiling temperature inside on a hot day, especially if there's a breeze to move the air under the panels.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
The whole idea was that when air moved through it would insulated from the heat which it does when we are moving but when stopped just as hot as others I would think. We run both airs on the road in the summer but also when stopped. Winter it is fine...
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal