Author Topic: Some pondering: How many bus conversions exist?  (Read 16218 times)

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
Re: Some pondering: How many bus conversions exist?
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
Interesting comment on the antique plates. My bus will be 25 next year (next month). Something to think about since I'm still waiting on the title.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline richard5933

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2018, 12:56:24 PM »
The origin of title (manufacture) Vin will always belong to a bus that is Federal not a state regulation,some states issue 2 titles one for the chassis and 1 for the conversion,I have a RV with Idaho plates that has 2 titles   

For vehicles being converted from a new shell/chassis, wouldn't the cert of origin list vehicle type as something similar to chassis cab, bare chassis, cutaway van, or chassis cowl, like is done for conversions built on a van or truck chassis? I imagine that Bluebird did something similar when they built the Wanderlodge. Or are you saying that they'll all list what they built as a bus even if it's not yet a bus and will never be one?
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2018, 01:25:12 PM »
For vehicles being converted from a new shell/chassis, wouldn't the cert of origin list vehicle type as something similar to chassis cab, bare chassis, cutaway van, or chassis cowl, like is done for conversions built on a van or truck chassis? I imagine that Bluebird did something similar when they built the Wanderlodge. Or are you saying that they'll all list what they built as a bus even if it's not yet a bus and will never be one?

Prevost conversion shells are listed as a VIP for RV's but it still has the Prevost serial number as the Feds require the day it was made with letters to tell the style ,all buses were except GM they never built a conversion shell

Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline richard5933

« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »

Prevost conversion shells are listed as a VIP for RV's but it still has the Prevost serial number as the Feds require the day it was made with letters to tell the style ,all buses were except GM they never built a conversion shell

They may not have made something sold as a "conversion shell", but they did sell their shells. Ours was ordered from GM as an empty shell - seat delete, bathroom delete, and parcel rack delete. The only thing inside was the driver's seat. It was delivered directly from GM in Pontiac to Custom Coach. I've yet to see the Certificate of Origin for our bus, so I cannot tell you what it said. Now I'm curious what they called this type of sale back then and how the certificate read.

Any idea how to find a copy of the original certificate?
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Be careful of antique plates.

Most jurisdictions have quite stringent rules regarding their use, and usually lower licencing fees.

Same for the accompanying collector insurance policies.

The rules rarely are compatible with how a busnut uses the coach.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline pd4501-771

• Tom McNally
  • PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"
    • Tom's Garage
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
Regarding antiques. Yes as Warrior stated, we are talking original seated coaches. Not converted motor homes. Mine are all registered/insured this way. Here we are required to sign a DMV affidavit limiting use on antique plates. Antiques plates are about the only fee this state (IL) has not outrageously raised. (so far!)  I have no issue complying with DMV/insurance restrictions based on how little I am able to use the coaches. 
PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »
I have the GM list of RTS buses ever manufactured, and there is actually a an RTS manufactured for a conversion shell listed in 1979-80.  It gives the buyers name and location, and specifically names it as a conversion shell.  So, maybe you can get the same information.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal