Author Topic: 8V92 Oil  (Read 36607 times)

Offline NJT 5573

Re: 8V92 Oil
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2007, 12:48:24 PM »
Well... since this got kicked back to the top..... In a round about way we are being told that our 2 strokers are obsolete. When I go to DD THEY ask me "hows your boat anchor?" I just returned from a Sea-San Diego run. I stopped for fuel at all the big truck stops, from Petro to Flying J and there was not one gallon of 40 weight for sale. If you don't take it with you, you are going to have to mix 15/40 with your 40 or else. Lucas oil was formulated to keep truck motors and gears togather in the California/Arizona heat 40 or so years ago. I think if I have to mix 15/40 and 40 to get home its gonna get a healthy dose of the Lucas product at the same time. I know my Allison sure likes the transmission product they make. They state their product is an oil base builder, maybe its enough to keep my boat anchor running in todays 4 stroke world until I die.
"Ammo Warrior" Keepers Of The Peace, Creators Of Destruction.
Gold is the money of Kings, Silver is the money of Gentlemen, Barter is the money of Peasants, Debt is the money of Slaves.

$1M in $1000 bills = 8 inches high.
$1B in $1000 bills = 800 feet high.
$1T in $1000 bills = 142 miles high

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2007, 07:29:12 PM »
Is there no farm fuel dealers around there?  I have no problem getting 40 wt from a farm fuel dealer in town.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
The only place I could find 40 wt is at the local fuel jobber and I am in a farm community.  They carry Delo. Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

Offline LegalEagle82

• 82, Model 10 8v71, 95 Model 15 60 Series
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2007, 08:29:09 PM »
This is a followup to the suggestion of using Lucas Oil additivies, and wondering if there was any information good or bad on its use in the 2 strokes.

I'm sporting an 8v71 and like to know what my options are on an upcoming road trip. 
I'm in Nashville and there is not a lot of straight 40 sitting on the self around here either.

Tejascoach listed the part number at O'Rielly's Parts store as follows:

For Delo® 100 40 wt, in the ITEM NUMBER, enter 100-40-1, in the LINE CODE, enter CHV
For Rotella 40T®,      in the ITEM NUMBER, enter T40-1,      in the LINE CODE, enter SHE

I'm going to stop by tomorrow at O'Reillys and ask if any problems to order some oil.

Legal Eagle
Nashvile, Tennessee
82 Model 10 8v71
95 Model 15 60 Series

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2007, 09:01:39 PM »
Try using the “Dealer locater” on the oil manufactures web pages. That is how I found the Exxon XD-3 which has one of the lowest ash contents next to the Delo 100.

The chart below is from this link:

http://www.tejascoach.com/tips.html

Sulfated
Ash Rate

Comparison
Chart

Updated 08/30/06   Chevron Delo 100           40 WT              = 0.76    (24% BELOW benchmark)

Exxon XD-3                                             40 WT              = 0.80

Citgo Mystik Premium                                CLICK here for History of Citgo

Fleet Engine Oil                                        40 WT              = 0.90

Shell Rotella 40T                                      40 WT              = 1.00
                                                            (Shell Rotella 40T is boderline)

Delo 400                                                 40 WT              = 1.35    (35% OUT of TOLERANCE)

L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2007, 11:17:45 PM »
I just purchased an MC7C with an 8V92 engine and I am new to buses after owning a Fleetwood Discovery with a Cummins 5.9.   ...Stuff Deleted... They didn’t seem to know how much oil it takes and said it could be between 7 and 10 gallons.  They also didn’t know which oil filter to use.

Gary - some of this you will have to get accustomed to I think.  As an example the MC7 didn't come with a 8V92.  The 8V92 will hold differing amounts of oil depending on the oil pan and such.  Not knowing what application the engine came from, the best people can give you is a range of capacity.  Also, if by MC7C you mean an MC7 Combo, then you have even more to deal with.  The MC7 Combos were a retro fit to the 10 wheel configuration from the 8 wheel (using GM Sceniccruiser parts so I was once told).  This means that there will be a lot about your bus that may not appear in the books.  In even the best of times, people seem to have trouble looking up parts for our buses.  Throw in an engine swap and a custom drive train and you are almost certain to get head scratching at the parts counter.

My solution and advice is to start keeping a log book with part numbers for belts, bulbs, bags, bushings, brakes (OK enough with the B's!) so you have something to cross reference when you need something.

The multi-grade oil recommendation was quite lame but the rest of it is understandable and quite par for the course unless dealing with places like US Coach (who specialize in helping people like us with these classic buses.)

Good luck with your 7 and have fun!

Craig - MC7 Oregon

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2007, 07:33:56 AM »
Gary -

PM me for some info relating to following up with Roman Cornell at ABC Garden Grove.

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2007, 12:31:16 PM »
BTW, I haven’t been successful in finding straight 40W oil in this area (Anaheim CA).  I haven’t checked with NAPA yet as one of my friends suggested because I haven’t had time to find a local store.   I had a good deal on DELO-400, but I have since learned that that oil is no longer recommended for the 2-Cycle engines as per the folks at DD.  I did check at two Home Depot stores as was recommended by someone in this thread, but I found out me they no longer carry oil.

If I can’t find a local NAPA dealer, I will have to drive 45 miles to the local DD dealer and perhaps pay a premium price.  Apparently most auto parts stores don’t carry single weight oil anymore.

Any suggestions?
Gary

Gary try getting a hold of Mike aka MAK he's in Westminster and see where he gets it. I know for a fact he had a case of it sitting around, as I left it in the luggage bay of a bus I delivered for/to him!
BK!  ;D
Also check the oil distributers od "jobbers" who supply the "Docks" as a lot of the Tug/Tow boats run ol' Detroits and I'd bet alot of other old equipment around there do too!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
Well... since this got kicked back to the top..... In a round about way we are being told that our 2 strokers are obsolete. When I go to DD THEY ask me "hows your boat anchor?" I just returned from a Sea-San Diego run. I stopped for fuel at all the big truck stops, from Petro to Flying J and there was not one gallon of 40 weight for sale. If you don't take it with you, you are going to have to mix 15/40 with your 40 or else. Lucas oil was formulated to keep truck motors and gears togather in the California/Arizona heat 40 or so years ago. I think if I have to mix 15/40 and 40 to get home its gonna get a healthy dose of the Lucas product at the same time. I know my Allison sure likes the transmission product they make. They state their product is an oil base builder, maybe its enough to keep my boat anchor running in todays 4 stroke world until I die.

The only truck stops I've been able to find it at lately are the larger "Shell" stops and some carry the Rotella T 40W and well some don't!

However I know of a little bus garage in Union City, TN that buys it in 55 gallon drums, stop on in and bring yer jugs! We'll be happy to sell ya some!
BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2007, 03:26:58 PM »
Hi

When I purchased my RTS - I had ABC in Garden Grove inspect my bus and change oil and filters

THE IDIOT service manager did the same thing to me - after I told him I wanted sraight weight oil -

When I picked up the RTs the next day - I asked the service tech what oil he used
he said he was told to use multi-weight by the service manager

When I confronted the Service manager - said he called Detroit Diesel and verified the multi-weight was ok

MY Guess - the ABC @sshole service manager lied about the call

I drove all the way home to Florida with the multi-grade - I now run straight weight Rotela cf-2

Pete RTS/Daytona

If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

Offline LegalEagle82

• 82, Model 10 8v71, 95 Model 15 60 Series
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »
After not seeing a lot / any straight 40 on the shelf around I followed a sugggestion and went straight to the suppliers site.   In this case, I went to Exxon.com and looked for local sellers/jobbers.

Within 5 miles of my house (Nashville) I have a local dealer with Key Oil who carries Exxon and Rotella.  I bought an Exxon case, which is 4 gallons at 9 something a gallon.    It worked for me, and now I have a good supply source. 
Legal Eagle
Nashvile, Tennessee
82 Model 10 8v71
95 Model 15 60 Series

bus05eagle

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
I never have a problem getting 40 weight all DD dealers have it or can get in a short time i just got 2 cases from williams at 51.80 per case sometimes the dealers have filters for 19.95 in a 3 pack 2 fuel and 1 oil thats when i stock up.stop at a DD dealer sometimes they have good deals because they know that they are going to get you sooner are later

Offline mcurtola

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27:37 AM »
Great info here guys, i had a question got some small leaks from the engine head gasket  of my 8v92 nothing to get crazy, wondering if i could try Lucas stop leak oil in it would it be safe to try............... and in changing the drive axle oil should i go synthetic or just 80w90..... thanks for your help

mike

Offline wg4t50

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 09:42:36 AM »
Have found the 40# works well forvthe normal 400 hp 8V-92, but if you push it up over the 500+++ arean you had best be thinking 50#.  If you read the newer DDC manual, you will find that info.  It saves the "spun rear main issue".
Dave M
MCI7 20+ Yrs
Foretravel w/ISM500
WG4T CW for ever.
Central Virginia

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 10:14:08 AM »
I worked for a contractor for many years who were hired by AT+T to maintain Detroit Diesels for pipeline communications and controls for major oil companies. They used Delo 15w40 in there 200 and 250 kw gen sets for MANY years with out ANY measurable effects.
All of their overhauls were done on hospital/critical com maint. service schedules by franchised DD dealers and service centers, from Alaska to Seattle to Portland. all the engines were fully warrantied and never suffered engine failures of any kind over a 25 year period.
We finally switched them over to straight weights in 1998-9.The motors went into service in 1972.
the last contact I had with the contractor was in 2005-6.
They were still running.
I would run the oil out.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal