Author Topic: Inverter Question  (Read 4655 times)

Offline cmdahl24

Inverter Question
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:03:31 PM »
My husband and I recently purchased an '87 MCI that has already been converted.  It currently has a converter but previously had a Trace Xantrex DR2412 inverter/charger.  Since the DR2412 has been discontinued, what would be recommended to replace it or what would be comparable to it as we would like to switch back to the inverter instead of converter.  Thank you in advance for recommendations and help.

Thank you,

Carmen M. Dahl

Offline luvrbus

Re: Inverter Question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 07:15:27 PM »
Lot of good pure sine wave inverters to replace the old modified sine DR2412 on the market at all price ranges try these folks www.donrowe.com to bad the house battery system is 12v on a 24v bus chassis system
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 07:31:59 PM »
The hot ticket these days is the Magmun Hybrid inverter.  Spend the money for a pure sine wave inverter that can combine shore power with inverted battery power to give you great power for start up loads like air conditioners​.  Plus 3 stage battery charging with a low maintenance charge.  American made.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:34:50 PM »
Magnum 3312 Hybrid inverter pure sinwave
Or 4024 Hybrid pure sinewave inverter if you add a few more batteries your house bank could be 24 volt system with a 12 volt tap through a Vanner.
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline TomC

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:40:29 PM »
Funny how everyone is encouraging you to get a pure sine wave inverter/charger. I have an old Trace 2512 modified sine wave inverter/charger that has given me zero problems. It has 3 stage charging that works well with my 2-8D AGM batteries. Both of our computers and my flat screen TV run just fine on the inverter. The only thing, is the microwave buzzes and takes longer to cook.
Maybe try to find a good refurbished modified sine wave inverter/charger for much less than the $2,000 for the Magnum. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 03:45:47 AM »
The old Traces were almost pure sine not so with the inverters of today,I ran stacked 2012 Traces for20 years and they would run anything including the Mircowave but Traces are history now no one will work on it and new parts are not available.For service,features and parts Magnum ( made by old Trace employees) is the way to go   

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
What Tom & Clifford said.  I'd look for the same inverter that was originally installed on the assumption that it would most easily bolt in again.  We've had a couple of Heart Freedom 25 inverters which ran literally everything we hooked them up to with the notable exception of electric mattress pads. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 06:44:29 AM »
LOL my Heart 25 in the Trek will run everything except Sonja's docking charger for the Samsung phone go figure

Offline cmdahl24

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 05:53:20 PM »
Thank you to all of you for your advice.  This probably the first of many questions to come and it awesome to have a place like this with people willing to help so again a big thank you  :D

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 06:36:11 PM »
When my tinkering smoked my first old Trace 2512 that I bought used for $50., I trolled Craigslist for another inverter/charger.  I found one about an hour away that was the same model, never used and in the original box.  I did pay about $250 for that one though.  It runs whatever it needs to.  I you are not in a great hurry, it seems to me that almost everything pops up on Craigslist and the like if you can wait.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
I am definitely spoiled by my Trace SW2512MC and what is now called "Hybrid inverter".  If you are camped in a place that barely has 30 amp service and most RV's can't even run one roof air, with the hybrid inverter you can run TWO roof airs.  Been there and have done it.  Plus no problems running anything because you have pure sine wave.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 02:34:50 AM »
We have used the Outback Power 2012 (2000 Watt / 12 Volt) inverter charger for the last five years and it has been awesome.  It is a duty rated system designed for 24/7 usage even at 2000 watts.  They are commonly used in off-grid homes but do make Mobile editions of most options.  You can also get one in 24v to match up your chassis voltage and can set it up to use the altenator/generator power to also charges while your driving.  It is a three stage charger and programable to charge your batteries according to  manufacturer spec.  They also provide a five year no questions asked warranty.

They are around $1500
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 05:22:08 AM »
  We have used the Outback Power 2012 (2000 Watt / 12 Volt) inverter charger for the last five years and it has been awesome.  It is a duty rated system designed for 24/7 usage even at 2000 watts.  They are commonly used in off-grid homes but do make Mobile editions of most options.  You can also get one in 24v to match up your chassis voltage and can set it up to use the altenator/generator power to also charges while your driving.  It is a three stage charger and programable to charge your batteries according to  manufacturer spec.  They also provide a five year no questions asked warranty.

They are around $1500 

Me too.  It's not "load sharing".   If you need to run more amps than your shore cord can supply, you're out of luck.  It's pretty good for what it does, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it and buying a load-sharing inverter.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 05:48:28 AM »
If cost is a consideration, do as some have said and troll the usual places for a used unit. Probably any model could be installed and give good service.

I have the same Vanner 3600 pure sine wave that I installed over 21 years ago. It still works great. Might be a problem to get repaired though. They've been out of business for some years. I don't believe it is rocket science. The right geek could probably fix it. I think parts are somewhat universal. But again, I am usually amazed by what I don't know as time wears on.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »
We have an older modified sine wave inverter and it has run everything. The microwave hums, and the clock doesn't keep time, but other wise, the TV, sat receiver, sound system, fridge, etc, all run just fine.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal