June 24, 2018, 10:13:57 AM

Author Topic: Co-Pilot's foot rest  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Gerry H

• 1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison
Co-Pilot's foot rest
« on: April 26, 2017, 04:08:35 AM »
Hello: I am considering ideas for foot rest designs for the wife's seat. I need something that either slides out, folds or is stationary and removable. Of course I need pictures. I have a Prevost and her seat is very close to the edge of the entryway, so entering and exiting her chair needs a better system. Chair cannot be moved back, cause of couch, couch cause of counter. Thanks for your input. And an off topic shout out to Gary Bennet, Van & Joe at B&B Coach. Thanks for being so cordial with us at your shop during our recent visit to Las Vegas. We appreciate your time and information Gerry H
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
Re: Co-Pilot's foot rest
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:43:16 AM »
This probably isn't the sort of thing you're looking for, but I always thought that the standard co-pilot in my bus was a particularly neat and very space-efficient design - the seat base folded-up when not in use, but when folded-down actually projected over the entry way, and the handrail on the other side of the entry way was also designed to act as a footrest for the seat. I can't provide any photos unfortunately because I've since removed it (but you could probably find some on the web), but as I say it was a clever bit of design and took-up almost no space when not traveling.

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline somewhereinusa

• somewhereinUSA
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 06:09:59 AM »

Ours is pretty simple, cheap footrest from WalMart. The seat swivels so she can use it any time, it's also extra storage.
Some day I'll add some handles. I just need a round toit.  ;D

When deck is in up position it has a handrail which also helps to stiffen the deck.

1991 Bluebird AARE
1999 Ford Ranger
Andrews,IN

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:26:19 AM »
In our bus, the passenger seat is built on a platform that sits about 1" higher than the surrounding floor with an air driven slide out that reaches across the stairwell. The entire thing is built of heavy steel which we covered with wood flooring and then trimmed out to match the rest of the interior. It only works when there is air in the auxiliary system. There's a button mounted on the magazine rack next to the seat that controls electric air valves mounted on the bulkhead in the forward bay. I'd take pics, but there isn't anyway of showing the inner workings where the air cylinder and such is. Sorry.
Will

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Help Team
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
The previous owner of my Eagle moved the entrance door to mid-ship and I really like that design as my co-pilot has more room and is more comfortable than I am in this configuration. 

The only better option without moving the door may be to turn the co-pilot seat around facing backwards.  This way they can have a very elaborate foot rest and be very comfortable and also be able to enter and egress the seat without having to deal with a hole in the floor.  Perhaps a big mirror or display screen mounted on the arm rest so she can see ahead of the bus may be a nice option.  :D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com

Offline Astro

• Astroworld Hotel
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:29:57 AM »
Since I mounted my “Navigator’s” (a Co-pilot is one who shares driving duties and shouting at me to “slow down” doesn’t qualify) seat direction a secure platform over the right forward wheel well, she has a footrest of her choice (small stool) on the floor behind the stainless bulkhead I left in place. I prefer to not manipulate apparatus to exit the vehicle and like the safety of the bulkhead.
Ken
Arlington, WA
1971 MC-5B, U7017, S9226 (On the road)
1945 Flxible Clipper (Stripped and in the shop for conversion)
1945 Flxible Clipper town buggy

Offline sixtyseven

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 11:28:24 PM »
Gerry, 
In our Prevost my copilot wanted her seat as far forward and low as possible to make it easier for us to talk, so we scooted it to the edge and lowered it nearly to the floor.  Then I held up a piece of plywood under her feet and positioned it where it was the best height and angle then made a platform there.  I hinged the bottom so it folds out of the way.  Works great !   It will be a couple of days before I can get pictures If you want them. 
Joe
Joe 
Oregon
1985  Prevost  8V92TA   HT740

Offline sledhead

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 04:30:36 AM »

simple but works great

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp cat
 home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Gerry H

• 1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 04:49:26 AM »
Great so far - yes I need all the pictures I can get, even if they don't show everything.  Please keep the ideas coming! Gerry H
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses

Offline lostagain

• MC5C
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 06:12:52 AM »
On the list is a recliner chair for her, with the fold out foot rest.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740

Offline B_K

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 08:07:25 AM »
Gerry, 
In our Prevost my copilot wanted her seat as far forward and low as possible to make it easier for us to talk, so we scooted it to the edge and lowered it nearly to the floor.  Then I held up a piece of plywood under her feet and positioned it where it was the best height and angle then made a platform there.  I hinged the bottom so it folds out of the way.  Works great !   It will be a couple of days before I can get pictures If you want them. 
Joe

Joe good thing it was you an not me!
I'd put a lawn chair out beside the door an had sit in it then drove off and asked how ya like it low now?
;D  BK  ;D

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Help Team
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 11:30:08 AM »
Gerry, 
In our Prevost my copilot wanted her seat as far forward and low as possible to make it easier for us to talk, so we scooted it to the edge and lowered it nearly to the floor.  Then I held up a piece of plywood under her feet and positioned it where it was the best height and angle then made a platform there. 
Joe

Great idea.  This is a great idea for property builders to follow. They should grass over everything then put in the sidewalks based on where the people walk the most, i.e. where the grass is worn down the most.  ;)
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com

Offline sixtyseven

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »
Here's da pictures 

Joe 
Oregon

Offline sixtyseven

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 11:47:36 PM »
And one more that wouldn't fit on the last post....
Joe 
Oregon