Author Topic: TireTraker monitoring systems  (Read 11747 times)

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
Re: TireTraker monitoring systems
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2017, 06:31:45 PM »
Got to agree with JC. Stop and check your tires. We do at least every 50 miles to 100 miles. check the engine the air brakes also. I don't know how many rally's we have been to when at the end people just get in their coaches and drive away or stand around and talk and then get in and drive off. No tire check, brake check, no air tank dumping, no checking antifreeze, water or oil etc.
We have gotten to the point of everything is electronic and most of the people who get this stuff don't even watch it. Just sayin.
Dave :D

But if their phone make a noise they answer an email or text right now......
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2017, 06:41:41 PM »
I agree with JC too.  I stop and check my tires every 5 miles just to be sure.  :D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2017, 07:11:14 PM »
I agree with JC too.  I stop and check my tires every 5 miles just to be sure.  :D

That's OK if you use 15W40 oil in a two-stroke!
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline windtrader

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
Mmmmm...another electronic gadget.  I've driven heavy stuff for 40 yrs and have always manually kept track of my tires, just keep doing it the way you've been doing it.
I'm sure many would love to run safely with fewer gadgets. Care to share what your standard procedure is for ensuring tires are aok? I'm guessing most truckers never get close to running older tires like most busnuts but it's hard to know if tire failures increase due to age or condition.

Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2017, 09:15:15 PM »
If you have a kidney or bladder infection you tend to check the tires more often on the passengers side anyways or fill the holding tanks up.
A experienced bus or truck driver can tell by the sound,diving characteristic,or ride if he or she is having a tire problem,TMS are good insurance though IMO.
Don't put all your faith in one though I lost the tread on a front tire on my Jeep I was towing in West Texas it tore up the light,fender,and flaring and the thing never made a beep, I saw it happening on my rear camera is the only way I knew     
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline sledhead

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2017, 05:04:22 AM »
every stop I use the lazer temp gun on tires , brakes on the coach , trailer tires . nice walk around to get the body going
easy to do and tells you a lot . even the sunny side of the coach tires will be higher temps . but you never know when a tire will go

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »
Same as Dave. I also use a heat gun but also shot the axles brake drums and engine both sides to see if there is a big difference or not as well as tires on Bus and toed.

Like Clifford we shredded a tire on Jeep front curb side and didn't know until a CHP stop us and told us we had been shredding it for a mile. When we checked the tire before changing it, it still had full air in it but was showing no rubber tread and all the steel wire belts around it. Never even saw it in the camera.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:23 AM »
I suppose it would be better if you put two cameras on the rear of the coach on opposite sides so you have a clear view of the tires on each side.  Never heard of anyone doing this but it may be better. Anyone ever seen this setup?

I would also think if you had a microphone on your rear view camera that you would hear something when the wheels start dragging on the pavement and sparks started flying.  No? :-)

Or you could use the poor mans method and mount antennas horizontally on the front and rear bumpers and put an orange tennis ball sticking out where you can see it in the rear view mirrors. Then when you get a flat on your Toad and the vehicle starts bouncing up and down, it will be exaggerated in the movement of the tennis balls. 

Just some ideas. 

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »
Gary tire didn't drag it was turning just like the others. It didn't lose any air either so a monitor wouldn't have told me anything. We were getting ready to pull into Patterson to have lunch and do our tire check when we got lite up by CHP. He said he had never seen one this bad and still holding air. :o
We have two cameras BTW.LOL
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
Gary tire didn't drag it was turning just like the others. It didn't lose any air either so a monitor wouldn't have told me anything. We were getting ready to pull into Patterson to have lunch and do our tire check when we got lite up by CHP. He said he had never seen one this bad and still holding air. :o
We have two cameras BTW.LOL
I wonder if the tire overheated when it deconstructed itself?   If it did, and if a TPMS could detect rising tire temperatures maybe it would have alerted you.   (OK, I know two ifs and a maybe isn't very compelling!)

My rear camera has a microphone, but it's not much use except when the engine's at idle.   At speed it's just a noise, so it probably wouldn't pick up the sound of a tire delaminating behind the bus.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2017, 10:23:20 PM »
Brand new tires and the other side was fine. The CHP and I think we Hit something in such away that it slit or scooped the tread but didn't go into the tire. Then it just started coming apart and went off in one continuous piece. Side walls were still there. No future problem rest of trip after changing the tire and then bought two new ones in AZ Bull head walmart. Same tire but they were made in Indonesia and the one that shredded was made in Korea and were more plastic y feeling. The new ones were more rubbery. Bearings were fine and heat gun registered 76 degrees as most of the time in that range.
Dave
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline lostagain

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 07:43:07 AM »
How did we ever drive along without all this technology like TPMS, cameras, cruise control, anti lock brakes, etc, ? 

What amazes me is that here we are in the 21st century still driving on pneumatic tires that go flat at the mere sight of a stray nail...

At the next bus rally, I'll have my skid steer solid rubber tires mounted on my bus...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 09:43:35 AM »
How did we ever drive along without all this technology like TPMS, cameras, cruise control, anti lock brakes, etc, ? 

What amazes me is that here we are in the 21st century still driving on pneumatic tires that go flat at the mere sight of a stray nail...

At the next bus rally, I'll have my skid steer solid rubber tires mounted on my bus...

JC

keep in mind most have never driven anything larger than a pickup before buying a bus
Life is short drink the good wine first

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »
You can always try these for run flat tires.  http://www.tyron-usa.com/

Offline windtrader

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2018, 06:48:58 PM »
Looking for an update on the TireTraker TT-500 with/without the optional signal booster. TPMS on the top of the bus punch list so reviewing options.

The other one interesting is the Tireminder Smart TPMS as the transmitter signals are captured by a smartphone/tablet app. The alerts are displayed as well as push notifications to the device.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal