Author Topic: TireTraker monitoring systems  (Read 3471 times)

Offline richard5933

Re: TireTraker monitoring systems
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
We got the Tireminder system when we were in Gillette at the FMCA rally. I asked a lot of questions from their tech rep before buying, mainly about the ability of the system to work through the metal skin on the bus. The system comes with the signal booster, which I installed under the battery compartment with some industrial double-stick (and heavy-gauge zip ties for backup). We went with the dedicated monitor instead of using the smartphone, mainly because we didn't want to have a Bluetooth error ever cause us to not get a warning. I was afraid that if the Bluetooth on the phone was in use for a call the phone call might over rule the TPMS error warning.

We've been on the road a few times with the Tireminder TPMS in place, and there have been no problems with the signal not getting through. We did have one false positive warning last week - the screen told us that our front left tire was at 37 psi and at a near freezing temperature. I pulled over immediately and checked, but when I saw the temp reading I assumed it was an error. It was. I manually checked the tire, and then had the system re-scan and everything came in fine. No idea exactly what happened. but it was an isolated problem.

I've put on many miles without having a TPMS, doing daily pressure checks and tire inspections. The TPMS doesn't eliminate the need to still inspect and check tires, but I think that having a real-time monitor that can possibly provide notice of an impending disaster is beneficial. I don't for a second think the system is foolproof, but if it can let me know that a tire is going flat when I still have time to pull off the road safely then it was worth the money spent.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Current Bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2018, 06:18:16 AM »
When you do your walk around without tpms how can you tell if one of the tires is 20 to 30 psi low, but not flat without monitoring system or heat gun? Info on thumping tires has shown not to be that accurate.
Any thoughts on this system?
http://www.realwheels.com/product/led-airguard/?gclid=CjwKCAjwh9_bBRA_EiwApObaOBAMSD8Yx949sq5O8XEDWf_Kk55sXetm6cOGaGJ0stU0CkDg6hVU5RoCkhgQAvD_BwE

Here is a review of several:

https://weekendrvadventures.com/best-rv-tpms/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 06:27:53 AM by chessie4905 »
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2018, 07:51:26 AM »
I have the EEZ tire monitor.  Just got it this year.  My other system died and there was no support for it.  When we did not have monitor system I would check the tires every morning before we took off.  The tags and steers were easy to check BUT I had a mat and had to sometimes lay down to check the drives.  We don't pull a toad so I don't know if the signal would reach for a toad but with the new system I turn it on when I start the coach and see what it says the pressure is.  The first couple of times I used it I also physically checked the tires to see if the system and my gauge matched.  They varied slightly but not enough for me to worry so now I just turn the monitor on do my normal walk around and see what it says before we take off.  Believing the monitor for my tire pressure to me is no different than believing the oil pressure or water temperature gauge for the engine.

Just my way

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Help Team
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2018, 09:58:19 AM »
For a great article about the TireTraker TPMS by Paul Lawry...click here and read it in the September 2016 issue of BCM. https://www.busconversionmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/BCM-2016-09-Sep.pdf
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com

Online buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2018, 10:53:21 AM »
As lovely as being alerted to a developing slow leak might be...

In commercial service, these tire monitors are a PIA.

Fail regularly, then the driver has to ignore them. When does the driver start paying attention again???

As the tech evolves and they become self diagnosing, count me in.

Until then...???

Temp gun at stops, regular interval  tire gauge use for precision, tire thumper to confirm there's something in 'em.

If you've pissed off the deity that watches over you, ain't nothing you're gonna install that will get in the way of a moment of correction.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline windtrader

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2018, 11:08:25 AM »
Richard,

Tireminder Smart TPMS - I would have a device(old phone, tablet) serving as a monitor while on the road. The bluetooth option is attractive as it allows multiple methods of displaying the tire data. Built in redundancy if any display device fails.

The TT-500 can be had at a pretty good price so it's still a bit of a tossup. Trying to make a decision over the weekend.

Always nice to have various perspectives, that is what is unique here, getting input from folks with many years of OTR experience. Admittedly, I am light on heavy truck experience but heavily biased on the tech gadgets. LOL
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2018, 04:20:48 PM »
Buswarrior I never "ignore" any system on the bus.  I wouldn't ignore a high temp on water or a low pressure on oil why would you buy a tire monitor system and then ignore a warning signal?  Just as well not have it kind of like not having a fuel gauge to ignore.

Gauges and monitors are there to keep you informed if they are not working properly get them replaced or repaired but never ignore the information you have when driving that would be absurd.

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline windtrader

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »
One other design feature that is high on my list is servicable sensors, just not fond of profit from consumables business model.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2018, 09:43:13 AM »
I have the EEZ tire monitor.  Just got it this year.  My other system died and there was no support for it.  When we did not have monitor system I would check the tires every morning before we took off.  The tags and steers were easy to check BUT I had a mat and had to sometimes lay down to check the drives.  We don't pull a toad so I don't know if the signal would reach for a toad but with the new system I turn it on when I start the coach and see what it says the pressure is.  The first couple of times I used it I also physically checked the tires to see if the system and my gauge matched.  They varied slightly but not enough for me to worry so now I just turn the monitor on do my normal walk around and see what it says before we take off.  Believing the monitor for my tire pressure to me is no different than believing the oil pressure or water temperature gauge for the engine.

Just my way

Melbo

I have the same system as you. FYI I have the signal booster installed in the rear electrical junction box. 45 foot bus and tow a durango part time...never an issue getting the signal from the car up to the front of the bus. Before the booster I would occasionally drop signals from the tag axle tires. Booster is tied to a switched 12v source so it is only powered up when the bus is running.
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Online buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2018, 10:22:36 AM »
That's the point. They fail regularly, giving warnings that don't exist, give readings that are inaccurate.

So, when it tells you everything is fine, how do you trust it?

Bus conversion work is tough enough having to do things once. Buying and installing a system with mixed results that still require me to do what I always have done, to ensure it is still working...?

I look forward to their performance and reliability improving in commercial service... then I will jump aboard.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Buswarrior I never "ignore" any system on the bus.  I wouldn't ignore a high temp on water or a low pressure on oil why would you buy a tire monitor system and then ignore a warning signal?  Just as well not have it kind of like not having a fuel gauge to ignore.

Gauges and monitors are there to keep you informed if they are not working properly get them replaced or repaired but never ignore the information you have when driving that would be absurd.

Melbo
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline RJ

• Angola Coach Conversion "Aesop's Tortoise"
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2018, 11:38:13 PM »
Looking for an update on the TireTraker TT-500 with/without the optional signal booster. TPMS on the top of the bus punch list so reviewing options.

Don -

That's what we have for Tortoise and Toad, and for me it has worked fine, especially since I started following the manufacturer's recommendation to remove the batteries in the sending units when the coach is going to be parked for an extended (month +) period of time.  Easy to do, but a PITA if you've installed the locks - which I only tried on one wheel and decided not to put up with them.

I marked the top of each sensor with a silver-inked Sharpie indicating which tire the unit goes on - speeds up reprogramming. 

We did have a problem getting a "NoS" (No Sensor) signal from the LF wheel of the coach, right under where the monitor is stuck to the triangle window.  After replacing the battery and reprogramming the monitor, it turned out to be a defective sensor, which was replaced under warranty.

Altho I purchased the booster, I have not had to install/use it because the monitor picks up the signal fine from all 10 tires.  But, as you know, we're only a 35' coach + VW, it might not work w/o the booster on your 40-footer.

The system has done it's job.  Last year I kept getting a low pressure warning for the inside curbside dual within a couple of miles of rolling along in the morning.  Investigation found the sending unit was doing it's job - the air pressure was usually 10 -12 lbs down from normal (85 psi on my coach.)  Soapy water on the tire never did show a leak, nor did the valve core on the valve extension.  Culprit turned out to be the connection between the actual wheel's valve stem and the valve stem extension, since replaced.

I still get out the infrared gun and do a walk-around checking the tires whenever I take a break while on the road.  This is usually every two hours or so.  The inner dual is usually a few degrees hotter than the outer, and the sunny side of the coach is also usually a few degrees warmer - which makes sense.  I also shoot the VW's, since I'm walking around anyway.

That's my experience with the TireTracker TT-500, your mileage may vary.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
RJ Long
PD4106-2784 No More
S13406 1978 MC-5C Converted 6V71/MT-644
S14947 1980 MC-5C Shell 6V92/HT-740
Cheney WA

Offline windtrader

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2018, 12:37:07 AM »
I decided to buy the TireMinder Smart TPMS after calling them to get the details about reported installation and operations issues. They said the product now ships with an upgraded signal booster that's resolved many of the signaling issues. And in every other case, it seems their support is responsive to get every system installed and operating properly. They returned my calls very quickly.

Beyond basic temp and pressure data being capture, what is very interesting is that an app running on a smart device is the interface meaning it is pretty easy to make updates to the app and sent directly to the device. Hopefully, there will enhancements over time.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline TomC

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2018, 06:33:49 AM »
I have Pressure Pro. Just recently on my last trip, one of my tires started leaking because of a loose cross over hose from the inner dual. Stopped and tightened it and refilled the tire (hopefully all of you have a way to use your air system to attach an air hose to fill from your bus). I also check by hand everytime I stop the temp of the tires. Low tires will be warmer. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2018, 11:53:09 AM »
Those jumper or extension hoses seem to have leakage issues eventually. Went through it on the 4104.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline opus

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2018, 12:58:43 PM »
That's the point. They fail regularly, giving warnings that don't exist, give readings that are inaccurate.

Kinda like when we had our son; "Here is a monitor that will tell you if he stops breathing.  It has a lot of false alarms, so just ignore them".  I said "nope, keep him til he's fixed" and walked out the door. :)
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.