Author Topic: TireTraker monitoring systems  (Read 4008 times)

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
Re: TireTraker monitoring systems
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 03:46:34 PM »
Or you can add an additional valve stem to each wheel and compare readings when you get an alarm. Rare chance they would give a false warning at same time.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline windtrader

« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 05:45:14 PM »
Tom and other PressurePro owners - How long does those sensor work until need replacement? The fact one can not swap a battery just rubs me wrong. According to them, they should last about 5 years, especially if stored while not running the bus.

I started shopping for price then discovered today that PressurePro now has a Bluetooth version that uses smartphone/tablet for the display. Looks like more money that Tireminder, hunting for a deal now.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline windtrader

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2018, 04:14:18 PM »
Update - Purchased the TireMinder Smart TPMS with six wheel sensors plus two additional ones for a total of eight. Very easy to install and configure after reading the manual.

Performance has been very good, solid and accurate signal. The product came with a signal booster and it'll get installed sometime but no pressing need as it works perfectly without it. The smartphone/tablet app is functional yet could use enhancements and new options to make it better fit the users desires. Even if the phone app is not running, the sensor receiver/BT radio unit warns by beeping and blinking a visual cue.
Three factors influenced the choice. The sensor has replaceable batteries, so it is inexpensive and quick to install fresh batteries. So others force you to buy sensors once the batteries run down, really? The other factor is the product is "smart" and works with smartphones and tablets, no need for another dedicated display device clogging up the dash. The last factor is solid customer support. I called and wrote a couple times with questions and received replies promptly from staff that actually understood the product.
Deep shopping digs can produce quite reasonable price and fast shipping.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2018, 06:53:31 PM »
I went with the Pressure Pro for the capabilities of using it with the SilverLeaf,I wanted the Bendix Smartire but couldn't justify the $2000.00 price tag plus another 500 or so for the ping tool, but I like the J1939 protocol on the Bendix since I am a electronic engine   
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 06:59:27 PM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline windtrader

« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »
PressurePro is a good unit too. FYI - A smartphone version, similar to TireMinder is now available.  https://www.pressurepro.us/product-pulse-fx.html
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2018, 06:08:05 AM »
Windtrader, are you going to mount one of the spare sensors on the spare? I would, if you carry a spare, that is.
I see the Pressure Pro now has better batteries that are supposed to last 5 to 6 years instead of three.
I read info and feedback for both on Amazon. I saw a couple comments about having sensors stolen from vehicle. Guess need to add the locknuts.
Maybe I missed it, but how long do the replaceable batteries last? I assume that they are a common coin type popular model.
At first I thought having to take cap off to add air would be a pita, but if you need to add air, the tire is going to need inspected anyway, and if it is a flow through model, just another check valve to get dirt into and leak. They did comment on excess protrusion on some toads.
I wonder if factory oem internal tpms sensors share same signal protocal so you could monitor it with either system.
Any false signals from passing another vehicle with same system that runs lower tire pressures?
The Tireminder seems to be the one I am considering, although still pretty costly. Of course, nothings cheap anymore.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline windtrader

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
Cheesie,
No plans to mount on spare. Being honest, I've not even done a survey of the condition of the spare. Will add to list. lol The primary, sole reason is to display real time readings of tire pressure and temperature and alert when system detects out of range conditions.
Batteries in the TireMinder sensors are standard issue. Additionally, the company offers free replacements annually. https://www.minderresearch.com/battery-replacement-program/ Due to our usage pattern, the sensors are removed and stored for the next trip. Takes seconds to spin them on.
The nuts are supplied as the "security" system. No plans to use them unless the tire pressure is stable and no need to unlock and check/fill tires. The sensors are rather expensive so theft is a concern but they are such a niche product, my feeling is a thief would come from the RV community. Faulty thinking and anything is possible but hoping RVers don't rip each other off.
So far, the system is very stable and not had any false readings once configuration was complete.
Hard to find anyone who seeks value more than I. There are cheaper TMPS but they target regular autos and motorcycles and do not monitor the number of tires on buses and/or toads. At the other end of the price range, there are systems that offer features desired/needed by commercial operations such as data logging for various uses; they can cost a lot more. 
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2018, 06:33:58 AM »
I do have concern that their sensors can read significantly off from actual pressure. They explain it sufficiently, I guess. But still... I wonder how accurate Pressure pro sensors are. Maybe being sealed units make a difference.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 06:50:44 AM »
Regardless of the system used with the sensors on the valve stem they need to be stabilized it wasn't a problem for me with the Alcoa wheels the hand holes in steel wheel that could be a problem.I still believe the Bendix is the best system by far but it comes at a price 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline lostagain

• MC5C
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 07:15:35 AM »
The TPMS that come with the new buses (Prevost and MCI) do have a sensor and display for the spare tire.

That is for hired drivers that don't know what a tire gauge looks like, lol.

And many of us nuts don't carry a spare, or only a bare tire not mounted.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 08:09:20 AM »
That would be a pita for me to check. Drop front bumper and spare door to check. It came from factory with hose extension to check tire pressure in under driver's compartment, but that is long gone.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline lostagain

• MC5C
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
If you had to use a spare that was low on air, you could easily pump it up with bus air, or the tire service truck could do it too.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 02:40:39 PM »
Good point and no battery issue.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
Some time ago I saw there were instructions online for changing the Pressure Pro battery.  I probably would try it if ten batteries began to fail.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central