Author Topic: Prevost XL Front Spindle Lock Nut Question  (Read 600 times)

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
Prevost XL Front Spindle Lock Nut Question
« on: July 08, 2017, 07:15:11 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm nearly done with the engine, cooling system, and engine electrical.  All the Norgrens have been replaced and I found nearly 20 push-lock nylon air line fittings that leaked air.  I replaced all of those with compression fittings and now the systems and air bags will stay up for nearly a week.

I started on the brakes and hubs.  I put in new bearings, races, and seals, as well rebuilding the calipers and installing new rotors and pads.  I've done all this work without a tech manual, and I've gotten by but now I have a question on the proper torque for the front hubs.  This model uses pn 611004 Adjusting Nut which threads onto the spindle and has a bolt that "clamps" the nut to the spindle threads.  There is no way of using a torque wrench on it, so there must be a method used to apply the proper torque.

I will note that both left and right spindles have a drift pin mark which may be an indicator mark.  Do you line up the slit in the adjusting nut with the mark?

Any help would be great, as always!

Thanks,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:59:09 AM by OneLapper »
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com

Offline luvrbus

Re: Prevost XL Front Spindle Lock Nut Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »
That is the GKN axle setup they have no torque setting you just tighten the nut till you have .0005 to .002 run out (end play) they call it end float (I use a spanner wrench)  lock the little bolt @ 25 lbs,  that is the good old German engineering it can be a bitch to get right FWIW  
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 08:58:00 PM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline OneLapper

• www.markdavia.com
Re: Prevost XL Front Spindle Lock Nut Question
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 05:11:26 AM »
Thanks Cliff!  You're absolutely correct, GKN axle (model IS-82, independent suspension), German Knorr-Bremse brakes. I was pretty impressed with the how the calipers were designed, but there are no rebuild parts available for them. This bus came with several used spares that I was able to use to for parts, though.

Thanks again!
OneLapper
1964 PD4106-2853
www.markdavia.com