Author Topic: Way off topic  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Ace

Way off topic
« on: February 06, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
but just had to tell someone!

I'm not a painter! Never claimed to be and really hate doing it but in our new home, there are some places that it really needed to be done, so I got elected! Yuck!

Anyway, has anyone, I'm sure you have, seen those neat little red plastic deals with wheels on them that have a paint pad and it let's you cut in around the door trim and ceiling/walls? I tell you, that has got to be the neatest thing since baked bread! I never have used one since I really love to paint but Susan had one from way back before me and thought what the heck. I figured it was going to be a really big mess with paint dripping everywhere but after a few tries, I was painting like a pro! No drips, no mess! Just clean trimming and FAST too! I started out doing it by hand. A 2 foot section took me about 15 minutes and the more I looked around the large room, I said there has to be a better way. There is! I did the whole room in about 30 minutes. That included going around 6 doors, and the whole ceiling. I know there must be a trick to using it against the baseboards. I haven't mastered that yet. Since the base is rounded at the top, there is really no place for the wheels to run against sqaurely so it was done by hand but this time I taped them off and brushed like crazy! I got done with this room so fast that Bud and I had enough time to go get some lunch and take a 2 mile walk around the park all while Susan thinks we were hard at it! Boy will she be surprised!

Oh well, if any of you have never tried one of those trimming in gadgets, do so next time you HAVE to paint for the little woman! For $ 2.67 it's well worth the money! Just kind of p's me off that somewhere, someone is sitting back raking in on this $2.67 invention and it wasn't me!  ::)

Oh I know I could have sprayed everything but only the walls needed painting. The rest is good to go!

Back to bussin....

Ace
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: Way off topic
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:27:49 PM »
Hi ACE,

I hate painting too....

But, once in a while I get stuck with the job. Thoose cut in plastic things work well.

The trick for your baseboard is to use a 10 or 12 inch spackle knife as a straight edge to run against. works every time...

Happy Painting
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

belfert

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 02:05:32 PM »
So, is there a trick to using those edge trimming things?  I bought one with a roller and an edge guard, but it got paint all over the trim.  I also tried one of those metal edge guard things and I kept getting paint on the back side of it and thus onto the trim.

I ended doing around all the trim with a good brush, but it took me at least 40 hours to paint my first floor mostly due to all the trim.

Brian Elfert

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »
Brian,

Sounds like you have too much paint on the pad.

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

captain ron

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:12:59 PM »
For the base issue I used vertical or post forming grade laminate and laid it on top of the base. keep a rag handy to wipe the edge every time you move it

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 08:28:10 PM »
I use a four inch brush of very good quality

I can paint  a two bedroom apartment with two full bathrooms in less than ten hours

A high quality 3/8 inch nap roller and the brush

Kind of like welding just a lot of practice

It really is mindless work -- I find it VERY relaxing and VERY boring

Good for a break when you need to get away from it all

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 08:44:53 PM »
i just wasted $2.95 on one of those roller edge things.  I gave it a try but ended up taping the edge.  I found the pad thing gave inconsistent results.  If there was too much paint, it got paint on the trim.  If not enough paint, the paint edge was not tight to the trim.  If the pad had automatic feed so it always had exactly the right amount of paint, it would be the balls.

I started out with my new house just replacing carpet.  30 days later, it has been gutted to the studs, new drywall on walls and ceiling, new floors and new kitchen.  Basically a full blown renovation.

Ross

captain ron

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 03:40:33 PM »
Ross, did you buy a house on the east coast or are you in Tn. or is this an old house you're talking about?

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »
Ross, did you buy a house on the east coast or are you in Tn. or is this an old house you're talking about?

It's in Delaware on the water with a private dock.  After it's done, I'll probably relist it and see if I can make some money.  Might take another year for the market to come back though.

Ross

Offline Ace

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 06:35:59 PM »
Ross for what it's worth, our agent told us that by June 07 it should be back to booming like it was last year or before!

I hope so because we will have a house up for sale hopefully before then!

Oh and my new work shop will be under construction as early as Monday IF I get the OLD building down and out by then so it looks like it will be a busy weekend for me and Susan! Any locals care to pitch in feel more than welcome!  ;)

Ace
Ace Rossi
Lakeland, Fl. 33810
Prevost H3-40

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal