Author Topic: aluminum tank for potable water?  (Read 8836 times)

Offline pipes

• Tug boat dude.
  • I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria
    • My eagle bus project
aluminum tank for potable water?
« on: April 14, 2007, 08:51:26 AM »
I have a new/unused 100 gallon AL tank....Can it be used for potable water? OR can I SLOSH some sort of liquid liner to seal it............TANK YOU...... 
Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: aluminum tank for potable water?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 11:00:18 AM »
Hi Pipes,

Check this thread out on the same subject!

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=640.msg5094;topicseen#msg5094

Hope this helps
Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline scanzel

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 02:27:09 PM »
Don't go there on aluminum tanks for holding or water tanks. I asked this question a few months back and got quite a bit of feedback explaining the negatives of it. I had seen some new fuel tanks on ebay and thought they would be ideal for my needs but have now decided to go plastic after checking on the properties of aluminum and possible health hazards if used for drinking water etc. Just my FYI.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline tekebird

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 02:56:57 PM »
no matter what material I would not use tank water for potable.......it is very difficult to propery sanitize a tank be it plastic, ABS, Alum, Stainless, Titanium what have you.

belfert

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2007, 04:53:40 PM »
no matter what material I would not use tank water for potable.......it is very difficult to propery sanitize a tank be it plastic, ABS, Alum, Stainless, Titanium what have you.

I agree here.  I always buy gallons of water at Walmart for my bus or RV.  My travel trailer had water put into it a number of times that was laced with arsenic.  The locals recommended not drinking it.  I go back to the same place every year and fill up with the bad water so I decided not to bother sanitizing and just use purchased water instead.

Brian

Offline jjrbus

• MCI5C/N Ft Myers FL
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
 I would not care what the tank was made of. I am not drinking water out of my holding tank, too many variables! I buy water at wherever. Chad has a nice setup in his bus. He fills 2 5 gal water bottles at home and has a seperate pump and faucet for it.
Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room!

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

http://photobucket.com/buspictures

Offline TomNPat

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 12:55:45 AM »
Pipes,

We used an aluminum (75 gallon) tank on a truck conversion we had for about 10 years.  Used an anode rod to prevent the tank from being eaten up.  The water from the tank didn't taste good, but it was better tasting than some of the stuff from places we went.

I'm 64 and haven't died yet from drinking coffee made from that water, but I think I'd rather have it made from Wal Mart water too.  Only thing is, when you're trying to make a living, you don't have time to go to Wal-Mart often.

If fact, since I have a few shares of 'underperforming' Wal Mart, buy lots of stuff there, including a pitcher filter.  We use one all the time, like Pura, that makes our coffee taste good compared to what it used to.  Buy a garden tractor/mower, fish finder, and all you clothes and automotive needs too!

Best tasting water I ever drank came in a faucet in my grandmothers kitchen through a 50 year old pipe from a spring up on the hill.  I'm not that picky, but some probably wouldn't let it touch their lips.  "lips that have touched alcohol shall never touch mine" is the old phrase that doesn't apply to me.

If I'd know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my body!

TomNPat

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 05:45:08 AM »
If I'd know I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my body!

Yeah, I know what you mean. All those years of thinking I was "indestructable" are really catching up with me. One of the reasons I quit riding in the rodeos. I used to bounce when I hit the ground, the last few times I just kinda went "SPLAT!".  Took a week or 2 before I cound walk "normal" again.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline pipes

• Tug boat dude.
  • I was captain on this Tugboat around Nigeria
    • My eagle bus project
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 09:25:15 AM »
Thanks for all of the replies. I think I will use the tank, and bottled water for drinking/cooking.
                                    Regard to water tanks. I worked on Tugboats and other boats/ships for about 50years, 2or3 were built in the late 1800s ! all had water tanks of course, except ONE. In the late 40s. Febuary Three of us flew on a ski equipped plane to Hay River NWT and landed alongside a passenger/freight ship frozen in six feet of ice. She was moored in a small slough to protect her from the massive river ice breakup in the spring.

The ship YELLOWKNIFE EXPIDITOR sucked  ALL of our water including potable, out of the “Great slave lake”      The only toilet available at that time was a  wooden outhouse on the bank of the slough NO door! And it was 70f  below zero! No such thing as sitting there reading the Sears catalogue
                                       BTW I will be 76 in may..........No doctor No medications, just grungy water.
Stanwood WA.. North of Seattle.
05 Eagle plus air bags.

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 09:34:54 AM »
On my over the road big rig, I used a 75 gallon aluminum fuel tank for water.  What it did was surprising in that the reaction of the aluminum with the minerals in the water caused little pellets of calcium type deposits to be formed.  So much so that I had to clean out the uptake tube on the tank at least once a week and clean the water pump screen once a month.  A real pain.  Do yourself a favor and use plastic, it doesn't react with anything.  And once you do a few fill ups, you won't taste anything except the water.  Besides you should have a good filtration system for drinking water.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Sam 4106

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 06:49:23 PM »
I think some of you are a little paranoid about drinking from an aluminum container. How many of you that won't drink water from an aluminum tank have ever drank soda or beer from an aluminum can or coffee from an aluminum percolator?
Enough said, Sam 4106
1976 MCI-8TA with 8V92 DDEC II and Allison HT740

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 07:07:25 PM »
Brother Sam,

Your preaching to the choir here.....

I just drain and fill my tank every time before I head out.

I also drink from the hose, the shower and actually swallowed a little lake water once.  LOL

But, I also intake water soluble hops, yeast and barley malt to kill the germs.   ;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal