Author Topic: 1973 05 Eagle owner requesting information  (Read 4032 times)

Offline Iceni John

Re: 1973 05 Eagle owner requesting information
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »
My bus's rear start panel had been eviscerated by the previous owner, and all the switches were gone.   Crown had used a three-switch setup  -  Ignition, Safety, and Start, which I thought was unnecessarily complicated, so I did away with the Safety switch.   The rear Start switch sends power from the run ("Ignition") solenoid in the front junction box to the rear panel's Start solenoid which then triggers the starter's solenoid.   Rebuilding that was easy, but I then couldn't turn off the engine from the rear panel!   Instead of faffing about with the DDEC computer for a shut down function, I simply ran a 50 ft length of 10 AWG wire from the front Ignition solenoid's ground terminal back to the rear panel's Ignition switch, and then to a good ground nearby.   Easy!   Now the DDEC doesn't see any difference whether I switch off the engine from the front or the back  -  either way, the front Ignition solenoid's ground is disconnected, turning everything off.   The rear panel's new Start switch is a push-On Dorman 86915 SPST with a rubber boot, and the new rear Ignition switch is a K-Four 16-140 pull-On / push-Off SPST.   While I had everything apart I also replaced all three solenoids with new Cole-Hersee 24059 continuous-duty ones  -  the old ones were still working, but why take a chance with them?

Keep a CO2 extinguisher handy if you're worried about a runaway, and jet it into the air intake if the engine runs away.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 05:16:59 AM »
His mechanical engine is air shut down ,he can install a shut off valve on the fuel filter, it will still run for about 30 seconds.The 92 series very few have a emergency shut down so he is worrying about something that doesn't happen often if ever. 
The few runaways I have saw over the years were owners induced by one fooling with the governor adjustment like the buffer screw or Jake Brake buffer control on the mechanical engines     
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 11:23:05 AM »
Well cheap ole me decided to drill out the stainless rivets holding the main disconnect together and see what I could do.  It was so simple, there is a plastic disc under the metal butterfly in the photos that broke.  It was out of plastic but I made a new one out of Nylon which should not shatter or crack.  I will replace the rivets with stainless bolts and reassemble on the bus.  $216 saved.   I tried to super glue it to be able to get dimensions to make new one but glad I did not try to depend upon that lasting, it didn't. Thanks for all the ideas and offers to help me out on this problem.  Now I need to order new push start button for dash area.  
Gary

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »

Gary   Way to go.  Next  NAPA has some good push buttons if you ask the right guy.

uncle ned

PS enjoyed lunch sunday.  now look up Earkel to see what kind of car he drove
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal