Author Topic: Parting out 4106 - maybe  (Read 21495 times)

Offline Fred Mc

Re: Parting out 4106 - maybe
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »
What is  the auction link?

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 01:36:53 PM »
He posted it a couple posts up. Richard, you did the right and smart thing. If the insurance company is giving you a fair value for the coach, you do not want to be dealing with transporting and trying to sell it piece by piece. If you actually want to go out and travel with your new coach and have a life, you don't want to pay money to the insurance company to buy the old one, plus the money to tow it to your property and then it sits there and rots because you just won't be able to sell it to anyone cause they don't want to deal with transport costs either. Wise move on your part. I could learn a thing or two from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline pd4501-771

• Tom McNally
  • PD4501-771 "All 43 seats.....still a bus !"
    • Tom's Garage
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2017, 02:48:37 PM »
The bummer about Copart  is one has to be a member of their group (or know someone that is). They requires licenses, etc. I did a little research about a Copart auction for a Scenicruiser that had suffered a bad interior fire a few months ago. There are several logistical hurdles it seems as well, as vehicles have to be removed something like three days after sale date. Easy for a guy in the salvage or bus business, not so easy for a hobbyist to pull off from three states away. I called the yard where the cruiser was in Michigan, and the gal would not even tell me if it sold (let alone to whom). I would guess for $700 minimum bid, a scrapper got it. oh well, win some....lose some I guess.
PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com

Offline richard5933

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »
...Richard, you did the right and smart thing. ...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

May have been the right thing. May have been the expedient thing. May have been the most financially sound thing. But, it was by no means the easiest thing.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline wildbob24

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2017, 05:02:06 PM »
The bummer about Copart  is one has to be a member of their group (or know someone that is). They requires licenses, etc. I did a little research about a Copart auction for a Scenicruiser that had suffered a bad interior fire a few months ago. There are several logistical hurdles it seems as well, as vehicles have to be removed something like three days after sale date. Easy for a guy in the salvage or bus business, not so easy for a hobbyist to pull off from three states away. I called the yard where the cruiser was in Michigan, and the gal would not even tell me if it sold (let alone to whom). I would guess for $700 minimum bid, a scrapper got it. oh well, win some....lose some I guess.

Yes, not only do you have to have a license, you need a license in the state where your desired vehicle is. I have a Copart license in Georgia and it is only good in Georgia. Can’t be used in any other state.

The other bad thing about Copart is they fee you to death. Over and above the hammer price, there are internet fees, gate fees, loading fees and like Tom said, storage fees if you don’t promptly remove the vehicle. Not really a place for the casual buyer.

They do have a program where an unlicensed buyer can use a local broker to buy for them, but, of course, that costs extra, as well.

Looks like a lot of good parts on Richard’s old bus. Maybe it’ll end up somewhere it can do some good.

Bob
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline richard5933

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2018, 09:30:50 AM »
Brief update on our old bus sitting in the auction yard...

The thing was still listed on the Copart site with no sale information, so I decided to give them a call. For whatever reason, Progressive has still not provided Copart with the title so they have not scheduled it for auction. The person there said that they'd probably wait a few weeks and then call and try and get the title. I know that Progressive has it since I sent it to them via overnight.

In talking with the person from Copart about this, they told me that at the Des Moines location where the bus is located the auctions are open to the public. No special license is required. That would mean that anyone interested in picking up a lot of still-usable parts would have an opportunity here.

There are only a few parts I want from the bus, namely the entire Jake Brake setup (valve covers, internal parts, solenoids, et al) and a few of the other accessories. Not enough to make it worth hauling all the way back to the Milwaukee area. However, if I could find a Des Moines area scrap yard willing to work with me there's a possibility that I could have them pick up the bus, strip what I want, and then scrap the rest. Scrap value should more than cover whatever they charge me for the pick and parts removal.

Of course, I'd be thrilled if someone else on the board here has need for the bus and can make use of it.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Richard

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2018, 10:46:44 AM »
The Jake setup is 12v it would cost you 400 bucks for just 24v solenoids
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline richard5933

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »
The Jake setup is 12v it would cost you 400 bucks for just 24v solenoids

I am aware. I need a complete system and others have offered to swap those 12v components for 24v pieces. Even if I have to purchase the solenoids for the 24v system, at least I'd be getting the rest of the parts from a vehicle which was known to be well maintained and to have a fully functioning Jake Brake system. I've been searching for a Jake system for the 4108, and all I've seen so far is buying things piecemeal without knowing the functionality of the parts.

If I can get the bus for a reasonable price, the scrap value should be more than enough to cover the pick-up fees and parts I need. If there are others out there that needs parts as well, then the cost goes down even more. When I found out that it would be possible to bid on the bus without special licensing I thought that it was worth posting here.
Richard

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
Just wire two 12 volt solenoids in series and run 24 volts. Uhhh, never mind, they are grounded through the castings. Thought I heard somewhere that 12 volt solenoids would work at 24 volt. and at one time were used for both. Maybe I imagined it. I dunno anymore.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline bigred

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 04:20:51 PM »
     Didn't someone on our group by this coach fairly recently?? Some of the guy's were commenting on the Silver Eagle bumper.
Rhet Raby           137 Elk Mtn Rd       Asheville N c 28804             1993 Prevost XL

Offline windtrader

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Scrap value should more than cover whatever they charge me for the pick and parts removal.
Richard, not a certainty once you put all the true costs on paper. You have to factor in labor to legally remove and dispose of fluids. Salvage yard will adjust scrap value based on how clean the parts are ready to scrap. Like the aluminum parts removed together. 6 big truck tires - gonna be some fee for that. And fully loaded labor rates, does not take much to make the project not worth the potential profit. Sad but mostly true reality.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline pd4501-771

• Tom McNally
    • Tom's Garage
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2018, 10:20:29 AM »
     Didn't someone on our group by this coach fairly recently?? Some of the guy's were commenting on the Silver Eagle bumper.

Richard's old coach at CoPart in Iowa is a 4106. The Scenicruiser I was speaking of was in Michigan. The Scenic did have an Eagle bumper on it. It suffered a serious fire. I do not know what became of the bus after the auction, as that CoPart location would not tell me anything.
PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

If you know of the whereabouts of a PD4501 Scenicruiser - I would like to add the serial number to my registry of surviving Scenics.  www.tomsgarageonline.com

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2018, 10:55:32 AM »
From what I have seen there is no scrap value for a complete bus.  You are lucky to get it hauled away for free.  And giving it away whole is better than cutting it up and selling the metal for next to nothing.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2018, 02:21:33 PM »
My experience with scrapyards is they will offer you one price to get you to bring it in -- Then, once you actually roil up on their scales, the price drops drastically! (Maybe because they know you have spent a lot of money to get it there & aren't likely to pay more to take it back home. )

About 2 years ago, I was quoted $0.18 / pound for a whole bus, I showed them pictures & gave a honest description. They said they had taken them in before & that all I needed to do to get that price was remove the seats & all window glass. I was also required to drill a 2" hole in the bottom of the fuel tank, (the engine & transmission were already removed.) 

When I got it on the scale, they came up with all kinds of deductions that reduced their price to $0.03 . Then, they subtracted 100# per tire.

SO, the advice that you will be lucky to get it hauled off for free is not out of line. Don't count on a scrap yard to provide you much more than a place to leave it.  :o

EDIT:
The exception would be if the yard had a shredder big enough to take it whole, then you may get more.
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline pd4501-771

• Tom McNally
    • Tom's Garage
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »
Des Moines is a large enough area you should be able to find experienced scrappers/haulers. The key is find someone with a landoll that has ties to a scrap metal business. Yards are ALL totally different. Some are very picky about tires, fuel tanks, etc. Others, I have found could not care less about any of that stuff. You must shop around to find ones you can deal with. Some are exactly as Kyle describes. If you show up as joe-public, and are not an established customer you might get the run-around. I have had good luck here in the Peoria area. When scrap was at it's highest several years back, a fellow I knew in Iowa was hauling lots of whole coaches from Texas to Iowa for scrap, and apparently making money at it? I bought a bunch of 4104 parts off one in Iowa that he had hauled from the Huston area. Prices are way down since then obviously, but scrap still has some value. Again the key is deal with an established insider. You won't get rich, but you should be able to offset some of your expenses. "legally remove all fluids" made me chuckle. When we haul scrap cars in, they grab them off the trailer with track-hoe, and puncture the fuel tanks with a pick-ax! Crazy but true!
PD4501-771
PD4501-1001
PD4104-3462
PD3751-686

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal