Author Topic: Sealing old skylight openings  (Read 1375 times)

Offline DandM

Sealing old skylight openings
« on: May 22, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
I'm getting ready to seal shut a couple of old, leaking skylights. I really need to get this done so I can start fine tuning the interior floor plan. I have some flat aluminum and want to possible do some form of 'pop rivet' install. I generally work alone so I thought the 'pop rivet' style of install might work the best.

I thought I remember reading about a type of 'pop rivet' you pop in place then use some type of tool in a drill that would spin on top of the 'pop rivet' head to heat it up and seal it shut. Of course I would be using some form of gasket or sealant on the flat surfaces to seal the perimeter, but I want to make sure I do everything I can to get the pop rivet sealed.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

Offline chessie4905

Re: Sealing old skylight openings
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
I used a "shave head" style rivet with an o- ring seal on the back of head from Blyler rivet. They make all types of rivets. If you can access inside easily, you could use solid aluminum bucking rivets. Much cheaper than shave head. You also have to buy the tool that shaves the head. Can be a little costly. I would only use them for replacing exterior panels on aluminum skin. In that use they work great and look good after shaving heads.I
 I think they make an aluminum water tight pop rivet in 3/16 and 1/4 inch aluminum that should be more than adaquate for your application. Put a bead of sealant around perimeter of hole and a touch of sealant in each hole. Don't use too thick a sealant to cause bulging of panel between rivets.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline sledhead

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 02:56:38 PM »
I just spent 2 hrs this weekend removing the old epdm roof caulking with my oscillating saw ( way way to easy to remove )

best tool I own 

removed the cover plate on all 3 antenna 's re did the coax cable on one and checked the other 2 . all was good then re did the caulking with the same stuff .

if you remove all the old caulking and do a good prep job then use the epdm caulking I have never had a leak

https://rvpartshop.ca/product/maintenance-and-repair/5874-dicor-epdm-rubber-roof-system-lap-sealant-white-501lsw-1.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_YbT_qSa2wIVkMDACh2uyAupEAYYByABEgK_rfD_BwE 

just buy in bulk  4-5 tubes at a time and pay a lot less 

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline eagle19952

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline DandM

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
Thanks for the replys. I'll call Blyler tomorrow.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal