Author Topic: MCI MC-6 Thought experiment  (Read 6029 times)

Offline tnewman

• Newman
  • Newman
MCI MC-6 Thought experiment
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:36:57 PM »
So in theory (and practice i suppose), what sort of equipment and skills would I need to be able to get something like this in respectable form? http://www.webspaced.com/vehicles/mci-6bus.htm

Offline eagle19952

Re: MCI MC-6 Thought experiment
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:52:01 PM »
from this,

to this,
 keeping in mind that the finished pic below is not the above bus...

imo, there is not one person with the skills to take A. and make it B.

So a stack of credit cards about 1 1/2" high would be a start :)
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:10:25 PM »
I thought you just sign a check. WTF.  No questions.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:33:11 PM »
Hi Newman, an 8V71, no matter what kind, will be over whelmed on a 30K lb bus, when your done a 40K lb conversion. It will get you from shop to shop as you work on it. They came with an 12V71, or as it goes the CA versions. I thought most were converted to 8V92Ts. Call about the one for sale in the busconversions classified, as a comparison,  lvmci...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline windtrader

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:36:14 PM »
The ONLY equipment you need is a pair of good running shoes. Put them on and run as fast as humanly possible away. That thing is basically a parts bus from a money standpoint. You'd do far better finding one in much better shape to start the refurb.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:00:55 PM »
I remember when they were only a couple of years old. Loved them, always wanted one with it's unique looks. After actually seeing one up close, I realized they looked better from distance. Many oddities about it and a LOT of unobtanium parts. That is going to be a money pit and when someone starts converting it and gets overwhelmed, it'll then end up being scrapped. Someone with excellent talent and experience can make it into the one pictured. With lots of money and thousands of hours labor.
BTW, if you want to see one in action, watch the movie "Kotch" with Walter Matthau. Several good moving shots.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 07:09:48 PM »
Those cost a fortune to convert over just for the normal tires and wheels of today,the photos are showing a 8v71T engine that should help a little
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 07:24:08 PM »
The seller was too lazy to even blow the grass clippings out of the dualie rim...I'm out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:31 PM »
"This is the only bus I am aware of which has a De Dion Suspension System. This suspension design was used in the early Le Mans cars because of their cornering and handling capability. One of the few suspension designs which eliminate leaning of the vehicle in corners with greatly enhanced stability."

Seriously?

Mercedes 190SLs and the big 600E sedans used a single-pivot De Dion rear axle suspension, but I've never seen a US highway HD truck or bus with any form of IRS, so I'm not sure what this guy's talking about.

IIRC, the MC-6 is suspended the same as an MC-7: four air bellows on the I-beam front axle, four air bellows on the solid rear axle and one air bellow for each of the tags.  I don't believe there are any anti-roll bars. . .

Excellent example of a poor old Dog that's been run very, very, very, VERY hard and put away wet.

Sad.

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2017, 08:22:16 PM »
They made 102 of them, the first 2 were prototypes.
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 08:26:07 PM »
If you have to ask . . . .
It would be less money to buy almost ANYTHING else on wheels. Heck, ain't much that floats or flies gonna cost more.

But to answer your question "what sort of equipment and skills would I need to be able to get something like this in respectable form" -- Welders, sheet metal fabrication, press brake, shear, cnc cutting table, lathe, milling machine, forge, etc. AND the knowledge/ skills to use them.

There is the issue of glass fabrication to mold the lenses & windshields.

Almost forgot about the rubber vulcanizing equipment to make the suspension bushings.

Rivet hammers & dies,

I had a dream to have a bad assed classic bus conversion. For 10 years I collected parts & busses. One day I realized it was going to take way more time than I had to get my dream project completed. So, I changed paths.

I wish you well on what ever path makes you happiest!

We aren't called 'bus nuts' for nothing !!!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline tnewman

• Newman
  • Newman
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 02:35:43 AM »
I appreciate the brutality, really helps me not ponder getting into a giant mess.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 04:40:58 AM »
As noted, access to a pretty full fab shop, and tool and die shop.  The bigger question is money.  That would probably take two to three years of 40 hours a week work, so figure $150K in salary or around 5000 hours of unpaid labour.  Parts and stuff, another $100K.  Full rebuild of the running gear, $50K.  Paint, $15K.  So realistically, a normal person is gonna be dead before they finish, and they can't afford it anyway.
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 05:57:55 AM »
So realistically, a normal person is gonna be dead before they finish, and they can't afford it anyway.

Kinda how I feel about my bus at times..  :-\

Regarding that MC6 - my first (and continuing) thought on seeing the pictures was "Why would anyone WANT a bus like that?". It does look like the epitome of a heavy metal dinosaur, without even the benefit of at least having the bit of style and large amount of history that makes a Scenicruiser desirable for instance. Just a graceless built-for-one-function piece of industrial machinery.

Just my opinion of course and I'm not meaning to be rude to any other MC6 owners that might be on here. And l do love lots of old buses - but I struggle to see what anyone would find remotely attractive about that one, unless it was in some ironic or kitsch way.

Jeremy

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 06:01:57 AM »
Actually I do quite like the wraparound rear window - although it would be difficult to retain in a conversion

All the other glasswork on it is a completely mis-matched cobbled-together mess though

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal