Author Topic: 6v92 engine repair Indianapolis?  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
Re: 6v92 engine repair Indianapolis?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 06:28:53 PM »
It's more than a simple broken exhaust.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline B_K

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
It's more than a simple broken exhaust.

--Geoff

Geoff you could be absolutely right, but I have trouble seeing that from what has been posted so far.
And I still say Stoops is a waste of $ they ain't seen a 2 stroke since the '90's and NONE of their technicians can diagnose anything that their laptop can't hook into and give them the answers.
;D  BK  ;D

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 10:44:07 PM »
sent you a code check your email or message here

Got it - thanks!
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline aaronjweiss

• mewithoutYou (band site)
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 09:29:58 PM »
Turns out Stoops turned us away saying nobody there works on two-strokes, we got it towed (after having the fire dept. called on us twice) to a place called "East Side Welding" that does a lot of work on old buses. They took out all the injectors on the problem side and one of them had a broken off tip, and now we're getting low compression in that cylinder. They said tomorrow they'll pull the head off to take a look inside to see if the broken off tip caused some internal damage.

My friend suggested that since they're gonna have the head off to consider getting new sleeve kits for the 3 cylinders on that side. I don't even know what that means, so couldn't even offer an educated response. Anyone have any thoughts on that? The engine was last rebuilt in 2003, but I have no idea how many miles since then. (In case you haven't noticed, I don't know much about my own engine!)

:-\

Thanks again for all the replies, Aaron W.
Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »
That'll do it. Sorry about the drama and fire department calls. What a pain. Some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in here on the next step. I would listen to them carefully so that you aren't wasting time and money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline birdarchitect26

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 06:10:20 AM »
I would say why no. Ultimately the point to a rebuild is to replace all the wear components, so she's good for another 500k. Often people pull a head and rebuild the top, this creates more compression but puts new stress on the old components, like bearings and rods that wasn't there before in the bottom end.

My point is, I would just rebuild the entire motor or fix the immediate problem and get back on the road. That tip should come out in an oil change.

My 2ce
Jay
1973 MC7 Challeger
8V92Ta MCI conversion

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 06:43:39 AM »
The tip when it blew if you are lucky just chipped one of the 4 valves is the reason for low compression,he can tell more when he pulls the head   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
The tip when it blew if you are lucky just chipped one of the 4 valves is the reason for low compression,he can tell more when he pulls the head   

have they pulled the air box covers check for stuck rings...
pressure test the head
verify the injector coppers/tubes
actually look at the valve seats and valves
no. i would figure out a whole bunch of things before willy nilly kit replacing on 3 holes...
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline DoubleEagle

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »
Take it one step at a time, let them inspect for what is actually damaged and what really needs to be replaced. It would seem foolish to put liners on only one side, that would open up a hole can of worms and cost. You will find out soon how honest and frugal this garage is, or whether they will try to sell you on an overhaul that may or may not be necessary. In either event, you better brace yourself for a nice bill.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 12:48:36 PM »
did the tip go thru the turbo...have they looked ?
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
Here we go... another lamb to slaughter...

Aaron, in the name of all that is holy, before any work, or decisions get made, PLEASE, get on here with the shop's diagnosis, and EXACTLY the methods that were used to arrive at their conclusions.

Tell the shop up front, you have to check with "your friends" and that this might take a little time.

The smartest of us, send Aaron your telephone number via a private message.

Aaron, you know how to use the "my messages" in the blue tabs up there?

We must prevent a wallet emptying...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline muldoonman

• 1991 Prevost 8V92TA
  • 1991 Prevost 8V92TA
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:41 PM »
After going through something similar back in spring. My 8V92TA was blowing oil out the drain tubes big time. Started on one trip. I'm second owner of my 1991 coach.  Replaced check valves and didn't help. Used/blew a gallon out in 100 miles coming home.  A lot of folks said overhaul time. Engine had 86,000 miles since new. Took it to Stewart Stevenson , San Antone and although big bucks, a lot cheaper than overhaul. Blower seals. Have driven it 1500 miles since and hasn't used a drop of oil. The foreman said if it needed a overhaul could have run up to 25 or 30 thousand. Yikes. Hope the best.

Offline aaronjweiss

• mewithoutYou (band site)
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:11 AM »
Hey fellas, thanks for all the input, have attached a few pictures. They took the head off and found that one of the valves was broken and another bent. Also, there's some damage to the piston. It doesn't look too serious to me, but I'm new to all this (and about 700 miles away now), so don't trust my own assessment, but my friend (who's there with the bus) said he's concerned it would fail at some point, so he thinks it's worth replacing, and in fact he's still pushing to rebuild all 3 cylinders on that side. The mechanic there said the engine looks young, so I'm not convinced doing all 3 is worthwhile (or even 1 for that matter. It might still be possible to simply fix the valves & put the head back on). More importantly to me, my band has a tour starting a week from today, and sound like it'll take a couple days just to get the parts...

A few questions: 1) I'm curious how serious a danger these gouges in the top of the piston are--is it a decent option to consider leaving it alone? 2) Assuming the rebuilt cylinder(s) will have better compression than the older ones, is that imbalance a detriment to the engine? And 3) if so, would it be better to have one cylinder stronger than the other five, or three cylinders stronger than the other three?

I'm also curious how to prevent another fuel injector tip from breaking off in the future...any thoughts on that would be much appreciated!

ps. buswarrior, yes, I'm somewhat familiar with the "my messages" tab, would be happy to talk to anyone about this.
Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 07:23:38 AM »
Is that milky oil I see?  The oil pan needs to be dropped and the bearings/crank inspected.  And was the engine using a lot of oil before the failure happened?  These questions need to be answered before a decision is made.

--Geoff
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:57 AM »
  Is that milky oil I see?  The oil pan needs to be dropped and the bearings/crank inspected.  And was the engine using a lot of oil before the failure happened?  These questions need to be answered before a decision is made.

--Geoff 

This was my first impression, too.  A lot of the comments have been "get back on the road quick" or "do it cheaply" but a failure like this needs a complete inspection.  (And, IMO, any piston that's been banged hard enough to be dented is very likely to damaged - cracked, piston ring lands distorted so that rings are pinched, skirts bent so that the lower part of the piston may scuff on the bore, etc. - and should be inspected carefully; or maybe even changed even if it looks OK.)  I don't think I'd trust anything in that cylinder; valves, valve springs, pistons, rings, sleeve.

It is far better to rent a couple of vans for the band to do a few gigs than to have an entire engine grenade a few thousand miles down the road.  Don't rush it.

Just my opinion but being cautious here could save you a lot of money in the long term.  BH
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)