Author Topic: Cracked 6v92 head in Orlando?  (Read 4198 times)

Offline aaronjweiss

• mewithoutYou (band site)
Cracked 6v92 head in Orlando?
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:33:18 PM »

Hello again!

I recently posted about my MCI 102c3's 6v92 troubles when my band was broken down a couple weeks ago in Indianapolis. We're now in Orlando and looks like we're getting coolant in our cylinders. We recently noticed some coolant dripping from a tube near the ground coming from the engine (is this a "slobber tube"?). We didn't pay this much mind until yesterday when we overheated, and it took almost 5 gallons of coolant to top it off.

Then yesterday we had trouble starting the bus, thought it was the starter motor, which we replaced today but it still wouldn't start, just made a single chug sound each time. Turns out there was coolant in the at least one of the cylinders (maybe more?) on the side that was recently worked on. The mobile mechanic got it to start by manually turning the engine over, which spilled a bunch of coolant out of that drip tube and then it started right up. He took off the exhaust pipe coming off the manifold on that (driver's) side and coolant was coughing out.

This mechanic's guess is it's a cracked head, said we should start looking for a replacement---any other realistic possibilities, e.g., something done improperly during our recent engine work? I think we're gonna have it towed to his shop, unless anyone has a better idea? I suppose at this point I'm trying to minimize our time renting our 4th box truck of the tour, looking for 1) a reputable machine shop in Orlando and 2) probably a replacement head (btw, Is this a "one size fits all" part, or varying, e.g., specific to the one side?). Any suggestions re: either of these? 

Many more thanks! Aaron
Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA

Offline chessie4905

Re: Cracked 6v92 head in Orlando?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:50 PM »
Are you sure you didn't overheat it or run it hot before or since previous repair? Cracked heads come mostly from overheating. They aren't like a car in that you can't run them too hot.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline B_K

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:34:26 PM »
My educated guess (had lots of experience w MCI's w 6V92's) that the shop in INDY didn't properly bleed the coolant system after doing the engine work and left an air bubble in the system which worked it's way out causing the overheat situation and thus caused a cracked head.
NOW THAT SAID ~ there is absolutely no way to prove this unless A) they accidentally admit not knowing about the bleeder valves between the heads, B) the bleeder valves are in obvious untouched condition {rusted/stuck}, incorrectly describe the method they claim to have bled the system.
Or maybe the head was already cracked and they failed to have it checked properly by a competent machine shop before putting it back together.
Either way there is going to be almost no way to prove they did something wrong unless they admit to it. 

Now I know nothing about the mechanic you have working on it now, no name or shop mentioned.
But I do know that you are not far from John Silver's shop at Central Florida Bus Sales   http://www.flbusman.com/  where lots of us have had work done and have been more than happy with the work/results.
John may even have a used take out engine to get you up and on the road quicker and possibly a rental unit to get you where you need to be while yours is being worked on.
;D  BK  ;D

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 04:34:20 AM »
BK is right on that one, Centeral Florida will have a used head and they can do the work.
Jack

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 06:18:01 AM »
I don't think the engine would have lasted a 1000 miles with a air pocket,the shop replaced the bent valves and probably didn't pressure test the head and a injector tube is leaking from the blown injector tip just a WAG from me not being there. I would have replace the damaged head and not chanced it,then I was paying the bill either.
I know most here don't like DD dealers prices but sometimes it is worth the price on the road, if a dealer had done the repairs it would have been covered by the 1 year parts and 90 days labor at a dealer nation wide  
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline B_K

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 09:01:54 AM »
Clifford as usual you are correct on both accounts the air bubble would most likely have been noticed before FL from IN, but we don't know anything about the driver either.
And yes if a Detroit dealer had done the repairs it would have been warrantied. 2 problems there are NO DEALERS in the central IN area know anything about old 2 strokes ("we don't work on weed eaters here" or "I can fix anything as long as it has a port to hook up my laptop!" are real responses given from dealers in that area)
#2 If they did do a repair it would have been a complete rebuild @ $30,000 + and who knows how long.
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:41 AM »
You are right BK I guess I am  to accustomed to Williams and Smiths out here they will repair one I seen both outfits drop 1 or 4 liner kits in and send a guy his on way.Doesn't Clarke work on the 2 strokes I thought they were a MTU dealer ?   

Offline B_K

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 10:43:31 AM »
Clarke is the biggest joke of a dealer there is. I wouldn't let them adjust the handle bars on your grandchilds tricycle! (lots and lots of complaints on them w/TN Motorcoach Assc every since they closed the one in Jackson, TN and Jason left them to work for Case after a month of managing Memphis because of the companies "screw 'm for all ya can policy" (I ain't heard the first good thing about any of the others either, IN does have mining, river boats or oil field industries to support the need for 2 stroke mechanics)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 11:19:24 AM »
My daughter works for Kirby Corporation  the giant tug boat operator and she just closed the deal on Stewart and Stevenson that Kirby paid 750 million for that makes him own 2 Detroit distributors now Stewart and Stevenson and United Engines   

Offline jhufford

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 06:28:13 PM »
Clifford,  Is United Engines the one based in Oklahoma?  I use the branch in Little Rock for my parts needs. 

Jim H
1966 01 Eagle Southwestern Coach
1989 15 Eagle

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 06:40:37 PM »
Yes it is Jim it's a good outfit I purchased a lot of parts from the Tulsa branch over the years,he is into big engines,generators and tug boats I can see his connection with the offshore stuff but truck and bus service I wonder, he paid a premium for Stewart and Stevenson I thought with Stewart and Stevenson now he is a big player     

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 07:14:15 AM »
$710 Million is a lot of Vacuum cleaners, LOL :D ::) :o
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 06:26:24 AM »
  $710 Million is a lot of Vacuum cleaners, LOL :D ::) :o

And weedeaters ...   ::)
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 06:52:12 AM »
It's a damn shame that the half-@$# mechanics that "patched" the engine together didn't do a pressure test on the head.  As I recall there was a piece of valve imbedded in the head that could of gone into the water jacket, or the injector tube may have been damaged.  I wonder if they even ground the valve seats when they replaced the broken valves.  And did they check all the crank journals for damage from anti-freeze in the oil?  I don't think so.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal