Author Topic: Just got kicked out of a T/A. Generator rules...  (Read 12382 times)

Offline B_K

Re: Just got kicked out of a T/A. Generator rules...
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 04:54:08 AM »
You've experienced "polite" truck stop employees? Wow I never did..... OH wait I was a truck driver not a tourist!
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 07:32:31 AM »
Flying J is nothing like it was when Jay Call owned it before he died in a plane crash,they started in the 60's catering to the RV people free water,dump,discounts on fuel it was nice. .Now you have 2 different outfits owning F/J and I don't stop period at a F/J owned by Pilot   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 08:33:33 AM »
The other night I was in line waiting to get my slip for my reserved parking spot and a driver told the desk clerk that they were out of coffee. She profusely apologized to those of us in line and said she was just quickly going to get a pot of coffee on for him and come right back to the register which literally took all of maybe 80 seconds. She came back to the register and everyone in line was given their coffee on the house for being patient. She was awesome. Last night at a flying j, I needed to take on water but the spigots were off for the winter. I asked inside and they cheerfully had a maintenance guy get the keys to the access panel and turn the water on just for me.
Two months ago when I put 75 Gallons of gas into my coach while sitting in the rv fuel lane, they cheerfully allowed me to leave my coach in place all day while I figured out a solution to pump it out. Absolutely no issues. One of the employees even came out to help me.

I could
Go on. Loves and flying j/pilots have been exceptional to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline B_K

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 08:53:59 AM »
Yes but Scott in your bus they view you as a "tourist" and not as a "driver" and the big difference there is A) as a tourist you have plenty of choices as to where you spend your $.  B) a company driver most companies have agreements with Petro/Love's/FJ/Pilot/TA whoever and get huge discounts or "kickbacks for buying all their fuel there so the companies demand the drivers use X stop for all their company business. And C) with a big truck you can't just pull into the local gas station and fuel and park so the truck stops view it as the drivers need them worse than they need the driver so truck drivers as a rule are not treated as well as a tourist is. (just speaking from years of personal experience and yes many years ago ALL customers were treated with respect and I expect that many disrespectful drivers brought on a lot of the actions over the years)
;D  BK  ;D

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 08:59:27 AM »
What I don't like now is for years one could depend on Flying/J when the Call family was in control you could depend on the lowest price of fuel in that area not so now they are 20 cents a gal higher at Pilot/Flying/J than the locals,and Loves pay the same game that is why I use QuickTrip or Maverick here   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline belfert

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 11:05:31 AM »
The Flying J dump stations were free for years but that changed about the time of the Pilot merger/buyout.

Loves started charging for dump stations four or five years ago.  When it was free the dump station at the Loves in Fernley, NV would have a huge line on Sunday evening as all the RVers going home would dump.  The lines went away as soon as the charges started. 

I paid to dump at Loves before heading into the desert this year.  I also dumped after leaving the desert.  The lock was missing so I didn't pay.  I figured the almost 200 gallons of fuel I put in over four days was payment enough.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 05:20:01 PM »
I was/still am a fan of Flying J, and now Pilot.

I have used them, both as a busnut and masquerading as a truck driver.

I am pleasant, and I get it in return.

Unfortunate about the fuel gamble years ago that brought them together... Flying J used to be the best price on the highway... oh well, water under the bridge...

Showers always clean, same as rest of facility.

Don't judge TA just on the dingaling hired help. As much as I like FJ/Pilot, I do like the variety of other places too.

I would'a liked to have been the one to have been told I wasn't welcome at that TA...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2017, 07:54:43 AM »
I have stayed overnight at the Flying J at exit 9 Hwy 40 in AZ a few times and filled up.  If I am heading to CA I always fill up because CA fuel prices are $.56-.60 and even $1.00 more than AZ.  There are two different prices for diesel in AZ-- one for RV's but only with 2 axles.

Anyway, I don't like overnighting in truck stops because of the noise of trucks coming and going.  I like to find a nice quiet side street in a commercial district instead.  However, you can't get away with that in many areas of CA because that is what fulltimers/homeless are doing and the local police do night time raids.  A lot of these fulltimers are employed but can't afford the outragous rents for a home or even an apartment.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
Flying J is nothing like it was when Jay Call owned it before he died in a plane crash,they started in the 60's catering to the RV people free water,dump,discounts on fuel it was nice. .Now you have 2 different outfits owning F/J and I don't stop period at a F/J owned by Pilot   

Ditto.  And fuel prices at FJ (formerly $.12 - $.40 cheaper than other truck stops) went up to "the same as the competion" virtually ovenight after the buyout.  Back in the early 00's, having a FJ around meant that fuel prices were lower at all the other places nearby.  I'm sure that they couldn't wait to buy FJ out so that the others could jack their prices us -- which is exactly what happened.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Just got kicked out of a T/A. Generator rules...
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2017, 09:52:46 AM »
Bryce, I don’t doubt you at all, but none of these peeps know I’m a coach. They ask for a truck number and I give them the year of my Bus. They give me two receipts just like they do for the truckers. I don’t usually fill at the RV pumps because they are a tight fit. Only occasionally. I’m 62 feet with coach and Ford Expedition toad. They just think I’m a driver. Maybe I get treated nice because I’m tall dark and handsome? But wait, the men are polite too, so that can’t be it...... oh but wait, it’s the 21st century...so can’t rule that out either. Straight man problems....

Scott & Heather

Offline lostagain

« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 12:16:49 PM »
I have always been treated very well at truck stops, with a bus, or a truck. Better than by some shippers and receivers, and some dispatchers...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline windtrader

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2017, 08:58:05 PM »
Anyway, I don't like overnighting in truck stops because of the noise of trucks coming and going.  I like to find a nice quiet side street in a commercial district instead.  However, you can't get away with that in many areas of CA because that is what fulltimers/homeless are doing and the local police do night time raids.  A lot of these fulltimers are employed but can't afford the outragous rents for a home or even an apartment.

I've not stayed overnight in truck stops but was excited about more dump/fill options. As far as out of park boondocking, Wally has been kind. It is tricky to find a place to boondock overnight on many public streets in CA. Many cities have ordinances banning overnight "camping". There are plenty of places to park overnight no problem and although I've not done it you can probably pull over and park at the end of the evening, quickly shut things down, drop the drapes, kill the lights, and go to bed.

That said, I have heard plenty of stories the popo has little reservation taking their metal flashlight and banging on the coach to get the attention of anyone inside. If you don't want your sides banged up, I guess you'll get up.

You truckers probably have it figured out but one observation like Geoff states is there seems to be places in commercial zones where you can probably get away with boondocking overnight. It seems in distribution zones where semis come and go at all hours, you can see many trucks parked along the roads. At a few USPS hubs, there always seems to be semis parked nearby and not hassled.

There are lots of IT jobs in Silicon Valley and I've wondered if I took a contract there I could find a place to park the bus for a few nights a week. Housing costs are astronomical if you can find it but it might be some fun and cheap to try some stealth public boondocking. lol
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline Scott & Heather

• MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Just got kicked out of a T/A. Generator rules...
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
I know our experience may not count for much, but we’ve fulltimed for soon to be 8 years with two different buses and here’s our experience:

We initially parked at Walmart’s. We hated it. People in Walmart parking lots would accelerate through the lot with their loud obnoxious trucks and rice burners and wake us up. Besides, they can be a tight fit for a bus and toad. Plus you have to be absolutely sure they allow overnighting. A lot of Walmart’s across the US are starting to ban it because of local codes. There’s an Allstays app that can help with that but I have found it to be sketchy on its accuracy.

Our three favorite overnighting options are:

1. Rest areas. Usually quiet and safe. The downside is they fill up fast and they aren’t everywhere. We pulled in early to one here in Illinois tonight and got a spot. Other downside: if they don’t have the truck parking in the rear of the rest area, you’re stuck listening to  highway traffic all night. Our coach is insulated well (heavy pound density spray foam plus flooring felt plus 3/4” wood) so it helps.

2. Truck stops. Love them. People talk about noise, geez Walmart parking lots are stinking noisy. Truck stops quiet down usually by 9pm as they are mostly full. So all you hear is the gentle rumble of trucks idling or their reefers burbling or their tripacs humming. Has never ever bothered us. Worst thing is if a truck is backing into a spot in the middle of the night (rare) they sometimes have backup alarms. I purposely try to back into a spot between two trucks already parked to prevent this. What’s great is most of us have rear bedrooms, so we are 60 feet away from the truck engines, reefers, and tripacs. We are at the back of their trailers, the quietest place you could be. Honestly, I love staying at truck stops. I love going inside in the morning to get a fresh cup of jo or a Fresh cinnamon roll. I think I’ll buy stock in Loves come to think of it.

3. Side of the road. If it’s rural and the rest areas and truck stops are full, we exit on an off ramp, and then pull about 100 feet onto the on ramp shoulder and Park for the night. Quiet, dark, but usually not level. Never ever had issues doing this in 8 years of fulltiming. We’ve had to do this when the weather is rough. If it’s snowing hard and the roads are dicey the trucks pull off so the rest areas and truck stops are jam packed. When we park on an on ramp I always leave my parking lights and clearance lamps lit all night for visibility. It must be like a duck decoy because I always have semi trucks parked in front of and behind me when I get up in the morning. Never fails lol.

Scott & Heather

Offline edvanland

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 10:39:19 AM »
Geoff
As you know we are 40 feet long without the trailer and have three axles, never have had a problem getting the 8 cents discounts, even if I have to ask for it, Motor homes are exempt from the 2 axle 28000 lb rule
ED
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 11:17:07 AM »
Experiences vary depending on the people running the truck stop, and the local and state laws allowing idling, or not, but it sure seems that the quality of the truck stop experience has changed with some of the mergers that have taken place. The biggest change that I noticed was the demise of the original Flying J's when they got into financial difficulty, and were bought out by Pilot. Flying J had a very nice buffet that I looked forward to at the end of a long run. That ended when Pilot took over, they ripped it all out and put in Denny's that resulted in dinner costing more for less. Flying J's catered to RV'ers before, less so now. Love's is a chain that has grown a lot, they even put one in Dayton, Ohio. The unfortunate thing was that within a few months of their opening, a rent-a-cop security guard shot and killed a trucker that he thought was trying get behind the counter. No love shown there. We can't assume that the experience we have in one state will be repeated everywhere else, unfortunately.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal