Author Topic: Remco towing pump question.  (Read 5117 times)

Offline JohnVickrey

• 1960 PD 4104-4541
Remco towing pump question.
« on: November 26, 2017, 04:24:15 AM »
Question for the collective.

How long does a Remco towing pump last?

I have been towing a PT Cruiser with Remco pump for about 4 years.  Hooked it up recently and the alarm would not stop.  Trouble shooting determined the pump was running but not pumping any trans fluid and no pressure to (what should have been) the pressure line.

Any idea where parts can be had for the pump??

Any ideas, anyone??
John Vickrey   -   Dearing, GA
About 2 hours East of ATL on I-20 and 4 miles south of I-20.
Got Electricity and Water for 4-5 coaches.  Less that a mile to a
dumpstation.  Stop by and sit a spell.

Offline chessie4905

Re: Remco towing pump question.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 04:49:13 AM »
Make sure there isn't debris blocking suction side.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Bill Gerrie

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:16:54 AM »
A friend of mine has a PT Cruiser and the pump only lasts about 5 years if he is lucky. Expensive to replace as well. They just don't seem to last according to the mechanics.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »
About 5 years is all I ever had one last, both of mine had rubber impellers that would break and I could never buy the impeller always cost me 400 bucks for the friggin pump at Southwest Drive Line in Yuma 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Bill Gerrie

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
Clifford
Have you ever taken one of these pumps apart? Why couldn't a person make a brass impeller as this seems to be the issue. When my friend replaced his Remco always asked for the old pump so I never got to take one apart.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 10:18:57 AM »
Test the flow in gallons per minute and psi and find a replacement by someone else.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 03:41:07 PM »
Question for the collective.

How long does a Remco towing pump last?

I have been towing a PT Cruiser with Remco pump for about 4 years.  Hooked it up recently and the alarm would not stop.  Trouble shooting determined the pump was running but not pumping any trans fluid and no pressure to (what should have been) the pressure line.

Any idea where parts can be had for the pump??

Any ideas, anyone??

ooops :(
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline luvrbus

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 06:06:34 PM »
I looked at the Remco site, and the pump fits between the transmission drain plug and the line going into the transmission cooler, through the cooler back into the transmission.  eBay has a lot of 12v pumps for automotive fluids that could work just fine.  Less than $30.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »
I looked at the Remco site, and the pump fits between the transmission drain plug and the line going into the transmission cooler, through the cooler back into the transmission.  eBay has a lot of 12v pumps for automotive fluids that could work just fine.  Less than $30.

That may not be option for some I bought the Remco pump each time because Remco will warranty the transmission,I don't think the Ebay sellers will do that,for what you get the Remco pumps and the $200.00 monitors are overpriced IMO 

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 03:47:40 AM »
As long as you have the low oil pressure sensor installed and working, you should be ok. At the low prices on eBay, get a couple and make pump installation for quick change out if it fails out on the road. At 400 bucks per, I'd try it.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline lostagain

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 06:54:34 AM »
Or get a towed that doesn't need a pump...

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline HB of CJ

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 06:52:15 PM »
RESPECTFULLY: ...  For gosh sakes get a wheeled trailer for you PT Cruiser!  Why continue setting yourself up for failure?  At least then you can back up.  Then .... practice backing up until you can do reverse corners and then work up to reverse figure eights.

If you refuse or can't then consider why?  At this point I do not care if I am expelled from this excellent forum.  Either you can or you can not.  If you refuse or can not exhibit basic driving skills then reconsider why you own and drive a Bus Conversion.  Yep!

Respectfully!  :(

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 05:59:21 AM »
I have two car hauler trailers, and they double the weight of just towing a car/PU on all fours. That means less fuel mileage and going slower up the hills.  Oh, if you go with an eBay pump you still have the Remco pressure sensor to warn you if the pump quits.  Who knows, the Remco pump might be made in China just like everything else.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline B_K

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »
Why not just let the car idle while towing?  ($500 pump = a lot of fuel at idle!)
;D  BK  ;D

PS I know several people who silently do this so they don;t get heckled by the naysayers!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal