Author Topic: Tag Chains  (Read 2327 times)

Offline Tikvah

• Dave & Amy
Tag Chains
« on: November 27, 2017, 01:37:43 PM »
Related to my previous topic, if I find my tag bearings are bad I'll simply lift my tag and drive to the Chattanooga Garage for service.  I've always thought I should get some chains for my tags since those are basically my spare tires as well.

Any instructions on making chains?  What length?  Hooks?
1989 MCI-102 A3
DD 6V92 Turbo, Alison
Tons of stuff to learn!
Started in Cheboygan, Michigan (near the Mackinaw Bridge).  Now home is anywhere we park
http://dave-amy.com/

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Tag Chains
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
Related to my previous topic, if I find my tag bearings are bad I'll simply lift my tag and drive to the Chattanooga Garage for service.  I've always thought I should get some chains for my tags since those are basically my spare tires as well.

Any instructions on making chains?  What length?  Hooks?

Made mine several years ago. You need rings on the chains to hook over the steel hooks on the bus. I think I just heated the end links and expanded them with a punch till they fit. Length was custom fit. Long enough to get the rings over the hooks when the axle is lifted. Not too long that the tire drags when the jack is removed and the axle is lowered onto the chains.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Excellent strategy, with a warning.

I'd be inclined to do the traveling in the dark, with a tag in the air.

Local law enforcement is not nearly as easy going as when these buses were new, and the wild stories of what went on to recover things originally happened.

And there weren't cell phones available to the hysterical do-gooders, to both rat you out and record the evidence.

You'll have to pay for the knowledge to get you out of the trouble you aren't in, when they charge you with doing what you aren't doing...

I expect even the dark won't be our friend for much longer...

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:00 PM »
????   

What exactly are you trying to say here? Any chance you can simplify the obfuscation?
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
Tag Chains
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »
He’s saying it’s illegal
To run with tags retracted and law enforcement will ticket you and people driving by will take cell phone video and call the police and report you. Funny thing is, I drove with retracted tags on my MCI 9 cause they were seized in the retracted position for three years all over the U.S. with never a problem. If you’re 34,000 lbs like we were, it’s not illegal to run with tags retracted. Semi trucks do it all the time with no load. Again guys, I fulltime and drive 20,000 miles a year most years....literally all over the United States....DOT never ever bothers me. I’ve passed every single weigh station for 8 years. I’ve run retracted tags at times no clearance lamps for a couple years once, no toad brake system on either coach/toad, parked on one-ramps overnight for years, and dumped my grey water on the ground a couple times in the desert and have never been bothered by anyone about anything. Don’t try this at home. After all, I’m a professional....a professional dufus I suppose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
The only reason it might be illegal would be if retracting the tag axle causes the drive or steer axle to be above legal axle weight limits.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 07:01:40 PM »
Honestly, in BW’s defense, in my case with my 102C3, I would most definitely exceed my limits retracting my tag. Without a doubt. I’m 40,000lbs even right now!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 07:14:20 PM »
My tags barely cleared the ground when "lifted".  The neighbourhood soccer mom wouldn't likely have ever noticed.  As Craig pointed out you may put your drive axle overweight but I wouldn't worry about someone ratting you out.  The average car driver is lucky to notice a flat on his own vehicle, let alone someone else's.  It is also becoming more and more common to see deliberately raised axles on OTR trucks running empty.  In the event that some zealous soccer mom was watching for raised axles every second empty semi would keep her occupied.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Jim Eh.

• Excess in moderation
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 10:33:47 AM »
Probably not nearing the gvwr or the drive axle gawr so lifting the tag should not be a problem. As far as the bountiful videographers, they would have a heyday up here. Darn near ever truck on the road run lift axles to deadhead back only using one axle to reduce wear and tear on the un-needed axles/tires.
"Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints"
Jim Eh.
1996 MC12
6V92TA / HT741D
Winnipeg, MB.

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2017, 08:16:25 AM »
Years ago (in the 80's) one of the big rig trailer manufacturers came up with an independent suspension system for their trailers using single tires on each of the 3 axles. Since they didn't have the safety of duals, each tire had a small cable winch (similar to a boat trailer) above to pull the tire off the ground if you had a flat. Ultimately, the independent suspension system was to maintenance intensive and was cancelled. But-you'll still see the big double drop moving vans with three axles using standard axles but still single tires.
I know on large electronic trailers (electronic trailers are flat floored with no wheel wells compared to household trailers that can have wheel wells to obtain the biggest interior space) using the small 17.5" donut tires, most have three axles. But-in California, 3 axles on a trailer is not allowed, so the front axle has an axle lift built into the air suspension. Just thought you might want to know. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
I guess there's no one been put in the position...

It isn't about the technicalities, it isn't about right or wrong, it's about ruining your day, and being charged, rightly or wrongly, by an over-zealous protector of the highway. Most busnuts do not have the highway law knowledge to be able to moderate such an encounter.

After you have a mitt full of charges, you have to choose to pay, or spend what it takes to get cleared, if indeed, you have been wrongly charged.

Either way, the busnut loses.

Some claim to enjoy the wrestle in the mud, and the costs and exposure are irrelevant.

However, most busnuts really don't need the trouble, and She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed will not weather a law enforcement encounter well.

That's the sort of adventure that ends with orders to sell the coach. We aren't likely to hear THAT busnut on here bragging about mama laying down the law...

Potential for brushing up against law enforcement? Follow the submariners: Run silent, run deep.

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal