Author Topic: Community Living  (Read 4987 times)

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
Re: Community Living
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:38 AM »
Jay,

I fully agree with you that we need some sort of "community" where RV's, tiny houses, and such can be used ---and be legal.  You would think the hardcore environmentalists would be pushing for these types under the guise of zoning since it reduces each persons impact(negative impact) on the environment.  I would love to build a "tiny house" on my ten acres, but the minimum house size is 750 sq ft, and only one house is allowed.  ----BUT, I can have a Bed and Breakfast is allowed! :) :)  -----So my B & B house is going to have a "storage shed" which requires no inspections if it is under 500 sq ft.  -- you know where I will be. ;D

Steve
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
In Nova Scotia "camps" are common, under 215 square feet needs no permit.  I'm going to build a camp on my property next spring, to house my newly acquired 100 year old wood stove and it will be my wife's summer kitchen.  We allow campers to be parked on land no problem, but a permanent structure (not on wheels, basically) needs to be over 750 square feet to be a dwelling.  So people all over have their acre or two, put in septic and a well, have a shed to terminate the electric service from the street and house the pump, and plug in the RV.
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline windtrader

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 12:57:23 PM »
I'm sure there are lots of FB groups for folks who are into the communal lifestyle. OTR and RTS busnuts don't park and live as you are planning. Schoolie folks tend toward more tribal living so try those sites too. Good luck
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 01:01:21 PM »
I'd certainly be in favor of such camps.  We'd probably need to include a little supervision just to help people remember not to poison the ground water and each other with broken septic systems and the like.  But then again here we go with more government--what's a boy to do? ???  Jack

Offline windtrader

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »
Jack - you must have forgot what Zephod does. Let the gray water run onto the ground and poop in a 5 gallon bucket then go dig a hole and bury it. Problem solved. BTW - where is he lately? LOL
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:48 PM »
If you're just  going to park your bus and live in it because you like the idea of a steel shell surrounding you, think cargo container  ;D A great start on a little house...  ;D Bullet proof, hail storm proof, and will float in a flood. I think I see the 12 horsemen coming now  :o Drifting  ;D

Oh wait, that's the moderators    ;D  ;D

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
If you're just  going to park your bus and live in it because you like the idea of a steel shell surrounding you, think cargo container  ;D A great start on a little house...  ;D Bullet proof, hail storm proof, and will float in a flood. I think I see the 12 horsemen coming now  :o Drifting  ;D

Oh wait, that's the moderators    ;D  ;D
Even a 40' shipping container doesn't have as much space as a bus because it doesn't have underfloor storage bays, unless you dig a hole under it for a cellar.   If I wasn't already converting my bus, I would have given serious thought to a 53' refrigerated semi trailer  -  already well insulated, space underneath for plenty of storage bins and tanks, even a reefer unit for ultra-cold A/C in all weathers!   Just cut in a few windows, and it's all straight walls and ceiling* inside.   And when you want to move, just rent a semi tractor from Ryder or pay someone to haul it.   Just an idea.

I'm interested in this thread's suggestions.   I have this (probably silly) idea of buying a small patch of undeveloped land somewhere rural, VERY rural, and surreptitiously parking my bus there while living in it.   With 2000 watts of solar and 220 gallons of water I should be able to stay off-grid for several weeks at a time.   A trip to town every month to dump and replenish would be sufficient.   I don't need no stinkin' hookups!

John

* I'm presently making, or trying my best to make, templates for cutting my interior walls.   What a hassle.   Nothing's straight in my bus, so everything needs to be individually trimmed to fit.   No way I'd ever do this again!   And we do this for fun?   
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 02:37:21 PM »
Zephod BTW - where is he lately? LOL

Don -

Our hero hasn't posted since 10/14/17, where he ranted:

http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=32443.msg366658#msg366658

But, as you said, skoolie folk think differently. . .

RJ
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline windtrader

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 03:12:33 PM »
RJ - That was in jest. He got banned from BCM. The other character Uncle Augie got banned from all our normal stops. Only see him now and then on BCI on FB.  Thanks mods!
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline birdarchitect26

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2017, 10:43:45 AM »
I converted the bus to Live / Travel. I can "Work from home" if I feel the need to take an extended trip West of stay at one of my other properties. So the coach bus was perfect! Large enough to live full time, with bonus bays under, and a 400 hp to pull toys, whether years/ months and just agile enough to hit the road and stay at most campgrounds. I plan to have the camp in Ohio as my base to return and work of course. I will ultimately buy more parcels near large cities to allow for either temporary living or just a place to camp for a week.

The idea is just to have some commoners live/ build / repair / collaborate at this place. I have a 20ft container. Prob bury that in the hillside area and store stuff in it.

I'll prob pick up a lumber mill somewhere and build a pole barn or at least a garage this next season from some of the trees I've fallen, just to store the bus or have a shelter if need be.

J

Here is a tidbit from last weekend, building the driveway
1973 MC7 Challeger
8V92Ta MCI conversion

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal