Author Topic: My old Skoolie (highbred? lowbred?)  (Read 2603 times)

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
My old Skoolie (highbred? lowbred?)
« on: December 05, 2017, 06:48:21 PM »
Hello All.

I'm feeling all smug. I've had a check engine lamp glowing on my little bus for a year now. I talked to the local Isuzu dealer about it as soon as it came on and was told that it would cost $200 to scan for the problem and then we would go from there. The bus seemed to drive just fine though the fuel economy took a nose dive. Down from 17 mpg to a bit over 14. A little while ago I bought a dealer level scan tool that covers the engine, trans, ABS brakes, wiring and troubleshooting. I decided to wait until there was a lull in the camping activities before I risked tearing into the problem. I plugged in and immediately was told that the mas air flow/ air temp sensor was showing low voltage. It took me longer to open the hood than it did for me to spot the MAF sensor and about a second longer to find the broken in the insulation 12v power wire. A big Isuzu parts house in Santa Ana, Ca was able to ship me a 3" long wire patch that slipped right into the 5 wire plug at the MAF sensor. The wire cost $8, the shipping $12. A half hour later the wire was installed, the code cleared and the check engine light out--whooppie

As I read through the diagnostics I saw that the computer automatically resets the fuel management to whatever reading it was at just as the wire went open. Though I wasn't seeing smoke, I'll bet the wire broke at cold idle which would account for the poor fuel economy.

Though I know wish full thinking when I engage in it, a buddy who has had his trucks worked on at the same dealership assured me that he had never gotten out of the shop after an electrical problem for less than $1500. Since the scanner cost me $1500 that news made me feel good (better?)--still, $200 savings leaves $1300 cost--Oh Well. Jack

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
Re: My old Skoolie (highbred? lowbred?)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
Good work Jack! Hope you and Lorna stay safe, tom...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 07:25:37 PM »
Thanks Tom.  I'm sure we are OK.  We've offered to share our house with others less fortunate.  Jack

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:14:53 AM »
  Hello All.  ... the MAF sensor ...

As I read through the diagnostics I saw that the computer automatically resets the fuel management to whatever reading it was at just as the wire went open. Though I wasn't seeing smoke, I'll bet the wire broke at cold idle which would account for the poor fuel economy. ...

Yeah, Jack, nice work.  The early "A4" VW TDI Jettas and Golfs (99 - about 03) had fragile MAFs.  Later VW (and Bosch) moved the sensors to a slightly sheltered location so the later-design ones are better but long-time owners know you have to keep your eye on them.  A few months ago at about 425,000 miles, I got a check engine light and lumpy starting.  It "ran OK' (pretty much like your engine) but my diagnostic software indicated MAF.  I ordered on, replaced it, and cleared the code -- since then, it's been perfect.
        I think of my diagnostic software as paying me back every time I've used it.  I've diagnosed glow plug problems, turbo boost intermittent and continuous failures (the sensor/controller is a little matchbox sized plastic unit and they don't last more than a few hundred thousand miles), set the fueling for better economy,  etc.  Back when I got my TDI in '03, the going rate at a VW dealer for just hooking up the diagnostic computer was $95 and the cost went up from there.  I figure that my diagnostic package (software and OBD link) has saved me hundreds of dollars over approx. 12 years I've owned it.  Think of your diagnostics as an investment that's going to keep paying for itself -- and may rescue you on the roadside.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 07:09:32 AM »
Bruce,

I had a similar thing with my 04 TDI.  The check engine light came on, and the Advance Auto code reader indicated MAF sensor and EGR valve, but my power loss and slow acceleration felt like a clogged fuel filter.  I replaced the fuel filter(It might have been in-line for over 75K?) and my power and acceleration returned, but the check engine light was still on.  After driving about 50-60 miles, the check engine light went off by itself. 

In this case I am glad that I followed my "gut" and procrastinated buying the MAF($$$$$).

Steve

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
  Bruce,

I had a similar thing with my 04 TDI.  The check engine light came on, and the Advance Auto code reader indicated MAF sensor and EGR valve, but my power loss and slow acceleration felt like a clogged fuel filter.  I replaced the fuel filter(It might have been in-line for over 75K?) and my power and acceleration returned, but the check engine light was still on.  After driving about 50-60 miles, the check engine light went off by itself. 

In this case I am glad that I followed my "gut" and procrastinated buying the MAF($$$$$).

Steve 

Uh, oh.  At the time, I figured that since I was under the hood, I'd change my fuel filter, too.  I have the CAT filter mod, allowing me to run a micron CAT IR-750 filter for $17 and 100-150,000 miles versus the VW $60 filter that VW says is good for 20,000 miles.  I may not have needed the MAF sensor.

Oh, well.  If it runs 450,000 miles for me, I'll buy it a new MAF sensor.

Thanks for your experience, Steve.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 10:25:58 AM »
Bruce,

I am "old school" untrusting of many computer driven mechanical devices---- and cheap, so I usually apply the cheapest fixes first! 

Steve
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:10:53 AM »
I hope you have more wring problems Jack so you can get your money's worth out of that new scanner.  Wouldn't you feel horrible if you never had to use it again?  :D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
That's what I like about you Gary--always looking out for the welfare of others.  How about letting me hook up my scanner on your bus?  It won't communicate but then I'll only charge you $100 which is half the going rate so it will be a good deal. ;D

Jack

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »
That's what I like about you Gary--always looking out for the welfare of others.  How about letting me hook up my scanner on your bus?  It won't communicate but then I'll only charge you $100 which is half the going rate so it will be a good deal. ;D

Jack

Yes, Jack.  Always looking out for you ole buddy.   ;D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »
Funny you post this. I just spent a few hours reprogramming several computer modules on my 2015 Ford Expedition. Made over a dozen changes including turning off my seatbelt minder ding. I turned off the navigation safety lock that prevents navigation changes being made while the vehicle is in motion. I activated my LED fog lights as daytime running lights. I turned off the double horn honk that activates when the vehicle is running and the doors are closed with my key in my pocket. Was super annoying. I increased the turn signal blinks for lanes changes from three to four blinks. I turned off the fog light indicator on the instrument panel since they are now on all the time as DRL’s. Among other changes. Cool stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline Bob Gilbert

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
Interesting, any idea how to permanently kill the auto start/stop on a f150. Thanks  Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal