Author Topic: Upgrade - New look and feel to the BBS layout  (Read 17217 times)

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Upgrade - New look and feel to the BBS layout
« on: February 04, 2007, 08:04:45 PM »
Hi all,

With the new upgrade comes a new look and feel.    Do not be alarmed!  You are on the correct bulletin board!!   ;D  :D

You can change back to the old look if you would like - we will post detailed instructions very soon.  Basically, the settings are in your profile area.

We hope you enjoy the new look!

Best Regards,

[Thanks HighTechRedneck for posting theese instructions]

You can change the theme back to the former [babylon] or choose from a couple of others in your profile settings.

Click "Profile" in the menu at the top of the page.
Click "Look and Layout Preferences" in the menu at the left of the page.
Click "Change" to the right of "Current Theme"
The available themes will be shown.  You can click the "preview" link to see what each one will look like.  When you find the one you want to use, click "use this theme".

Thank You!
Nick Badame
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline NJT5047

Re: Upgrade - New look and feel to the BBS layout
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 09:33:13 AM »
No problem! I curious what happened to the appearance of the board? 
Anyway, I like the "Geezer-print" in the compose window.  I can read this from across the room!  Very cool!  ;)
Regards,  "Geezer" JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 09:51:30 AM »
I didn't care for the new look... it lacked contrast for me.  I switched it back to 'normal' and it looks good as ever now!

David

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 11:47:18 AM »
Phil,

I also like the NEW look.

Or as JR said, "the geezer print" LOL  ;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 08:54:54 PM »
I Like eet !

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 06:23:48 AM »
I believe I like the old way better. I could also see it better.

Also, maybe it's my computer, but it's allot slower too. Anybody else have that problem??

Stuck in the "old days",
           Chaz
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline DavidInWilmNC

• 1978 MC-8 as I bought it May 2005
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 09:59:03 AM »
I believe I like the old way better. I could also see it better.

Also, maybe it's my computer, but it's allot slower too. Anybody else have that problem??

Stuck in the "old days",
           Chaz

It doesn't seem slower to me, but then I really didn't give it a chance - I changed it to the old style ASAP!  I do find the old style to be a lot easier to read.  I have an LCD monitor and they generally run at higher resolutions than the standard CRT monitors (1280 x 1024 is the native resolution of this monitor).  The text can get pretty small at that resolution.  The black text on the off-white background is more like reading (printed material) to me, and seems easier.  Of course, my eyes aren't getting any younger/ sharper either!

David

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »
Yep.  It's much slower to load initially...then it may get going.
All my other websites are working normally.  Using RoadRunner and it generally works well out here. 
May try the old format and see if it's faster....still, like the big-boy print used in the new format!  The lack of contrast doesn't seem to be an issue... 
Maybe Phil can shed a little light on this "slowness?"
Best, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 06:59:39 PM »
We are becoming "resource starved" as far as I can tell, and from what our software vendor says after reviewing some of the logs I have forwarded to them.  The new board structure requires more resources.  At the same time, our number of simultaneously logged on users continues to climb.  Over 50 users on the system as I write this resopnse.   So, it is a matter of what our web host is willing to do for us.  We (OK, Mike  :D ) has upgraded us several times already, so hopefully we'll have some kind of sway with the provider.  This is a work in progress - hope this helps, Phil

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 07:29:13 PM »
Thanks for the rapid response reply Phil!  And thanks in advance Mike for the extra bandwidth to which we shall soon be availed!  ;) Apparently someone has gone beddy bye 'cause the site's running fine now.  I'm sticking with the new format. 
Cheerio all! JR  8)

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC

Ayn Rand

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 06:41:21 AM »
This board has been very noticably slower since the "upgrade".  Speed is way more important to me than any of the marginal improvements I have seen.  I have high speed cable modem, so I don't think its my connection.  All my other web visits are still speedy.

PUT IT BACK, why put Mike in a spot where upgrades (I read more $) are required?  It was just fine before you started "improving" it.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 01:57:45 PM »
Hi Jim,

I appreciate your thoughts on the board and going back, but the upgrade was not for the additional features.  It was to stay "supported", and with the current code base. We were losing the ability to stay integrated with various modifications which we make use of on the board.  Going backwards isn't really an option for us.  This is an unfortunate, but constant situation in the software industry.  We are told - we can't support you because you are running very old software. 

In addition, though I didn't clarify it at the time, we aren't looking at a need to purchase more bandwidth.  Instead, I am in a position of asking the ISP to CHANGE certain variables which affect our site configuration.  This isn't an extra $ item.  But it can be more difficult to achieve.  We'll see where it leads us.

Hope this helps, Phil

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 12:46:44 PM »
Thanks for all your help and support.  this a GREAT board and much appreciated.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 06:37:13 PM »
Well, It seems like the "Slow Board" syndrome is gone.

All day at the shop, the bbs was as fast as it always been and now, home using my laptop

the bbs is still seeming fast again.

Thanks Phil for figureing this one out!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 05:22:47 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback.   ;D

Yes, I am now cautiously optimistic.  After several days of testing after the latest configuration changes to the BBS software, the majority of the errors are gone.  It looks like the remaining occaisional slowness is due to are steadily increasing number of simultaneously logged on members.

Kind Regards, Phil

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal