Author Topic: Remote Ether Injector  (Read 5418 times)

Offline roger dolan

Remote Ether Injector
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:05:34 AM »
I have a remote ether injector on my 8V71.  I need a replacement canister with a .875 threaded end.  I can't find anything but 1".  The 7/8 must have been from ancient times.  The local auto parts store looked it up and it had discontinued all remote start equipment.  However their books show an adapter .875to 1", but all discontinued. The  1" canister is common  and can be bought most anywhere, but I need an .875 adapter. Is there anyone out there that can help me?  I like to give the engine a little sniff when it is 50* of less.  That saves on the starter and battery.    P.S.  The canister looks very much like a propane torch canister.     Roger Dolan 4106

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
Re: Remote Ether Injector
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:41:39 AM »
This is not the answer you want, but I offer it anyway. You really should not rely on ether to get going. It would be much easier on your engine to have a block heater. I had a remote injection system on a truck back in the eighties that my driver over applied, and it caused a hole in one piston which led to an overhaul. Ether is pretty explosive, and should only be considered when it is very cold (sub-zero) and you are desperate. A simple spring-cap injection port on the intake tubing would allow you to squirt some in from a spray can if you really must, but don't overdo it.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline goutoe

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 10:58:24 AM »
My Bus is equipped with an ether cold start aid I'm not sure of the brand, actually I have never needed to use it, I have operated heavy equipment that needed ether to start and I do remember seeing the Kats brand on some of those, maybe Kats would have a conversion available to upgrade yours? look on E-Bay??? >>>>> John.
John & Linda 1977 AM General 6V92 turbo Detroit 3 Speed allison, 40 ft.

Offline GnarlyBus

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »
I'll second Double Eagle. I know it isn't what you asked but I highly recommend installing a coolant heater. They're like $50 on eBay and easy to find locally as well.

I used to turn the engine over for 5 seconds at a time and then rest for 15. Seeing all that white smoke and listening to the engine struggle to warm up pushed me to install a coolant heater. Easy to install! Now I run the little honda generator (if we aren't plugged in at an RV Park) for a 1-3 hours depending on how cold it is an when I tap that fear start switch it fires up instantly like I just had it running! I wish I'd have installed it the day I got the bus!

Imagine the engine wear that saves you from!
1984 MC-9 w/ 6v92TA & Allison 740
Oregon Summers & Arizona Winters
Full-Time since 2015

Offline stevet903

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »
Is this what you are looking for ?

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/KAT33218

- Steve

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:32 AM »
Everyone has an opinion and a experience with ether.Used properly it will not harm anything.

I can't count the cases of it that we sold and used  for 40 years with no bad result.
If it's so bad why do they keep making it...why do companies keep buying it?
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »
Everyone has an opinion and a experience with ether.Used properly it will not harm anything.

I can't count the cases of it that we sold and used  for 40 years with no bad result.
If it's so bad why do they keep making it...why do companies keep buying it?

Because it works when used judiciously, but my complaint is with the remote units with the controls on the dash that don't let you get a feel for how much is being applied. It's very easy to overdo it with them, and not realize it.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:57 PM »
...  It's very easy to overdo it with them, and not realize it.

And bad results are *truly* bad, truly bad.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline TomC

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:41:32 PM »
If you know your engine won't start right away when it is cold and you can start it from the back, here's a trick. If you can safely reach the governor-turn on the engine from the back, hold the stop lever in with your thumb, start turning over the engine and then slowly release the stop lever-and the engine should just come up to speed. This happens because when you turn off the engine, the injection retards. Also you're not over feeding the engine getting all that white smoke. Good Luck,TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 01:38:01 PM »
Kysor was one brand that made an ether auto injector.

The auto injector, when installed correctly, are wired into the starter circuit, have a temp sensor on the block. You only get ether when the block is cold enough, and when the engine is cranking.

That's the point. No operator error involved. No ether unless it is needed, and arrives in proper dosage while cranking.

Ether wrankles up more religious debate than all the TV preachers combined...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 02:49:33 PM »

The auto injector, when installed correctly, are wired into the starter circuit, have a temp sensor on the block. You only get ether when the block is cold enough, and when the engine is cranking.

That's the point. No operator error involved. No ether unless it is needed, and arrives in proper dosage while cranking.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

That brand sounds very sophisticated, the one that killed by Cat engine involved pulling out a choke-like knob, and it kept spraying ether as long as it was out.  :o
Walter
Dayton, Ohio

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 03:59:06 PM »
I have a remote ether injector on my 8V71.  I need a replacement canister with a .875 threaded end.  I can't find anything but 1".  The 7/8 must have been from ancient times.  The local auto parts store looked it up and it had discontinued all remote start equipment.  However their books show an adapter .875to 1", but all discontinued. The  1" canister is common  and can be bought most anywhere, but I need an .875 adapter. Is there anyone out there that can help me? 

If you're just talking about adapting from 3/4 thread to 1" that's a pretty trivial task for anyone with a lathe.  You must know someone with a lathe.  If not, tell your wife you need a lathe.  When I told SWMBO that I needed a lathe she asked "What will  you make?"  I said "A bolt"  She said "You can buy a bolt"  You on the other  hand have a piece you could build which clearly you CAN'T buy.  I'd say go for it.   
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
We have ether injection system and it is precisely metered specifically for our IL671 Detroit.
One shot, no sorry - exactly what it needs & no more.
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:15:21 PM »

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

The Quick Start system in my bus is also like that, dispensing just one brief squirt into the intake horn above the blower, but only if the conditions are right and the gods are smiling auspiciously.   So saying, I don't use it all, and I've used the 1/4" port instead for the turbo boost gauge's feeder tube.   A proper block heater is in my future.   When I bought my bus the seller said that I could squirt ether for one second only into the air intake, and that's how we started it one cold December day after several months of inactivity.   That is the first and last time I've ever used ether  -  he stressed that a one second squirt was always enough.

John     
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Brassman

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 12:51:26 AM »
In So-Cal one would think you'd never need the ether. Up in the 48th parallel I've never needed ether to start my Cat 3208, but without the block heater going it is one ugly experience.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal