Author Topic: OTR Thermostat  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Jcparmley

OTR Thermostat
« on: April 20, 2018, 09:28:27 PM »
Hello All

I have a MCI 102c3 that I am converting.  I am just starting my conversion.  I removed the stainless registers at the floor.  After removing the registers I started the bus to move it and I noticed the thermostat on the dash read -40.  I think I might have removed the cabin temp sensor.  Can someone advise me as to where this sensor is or how to replace it.  Thanks

Offline sledhead

Re: OTR Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:00 AM »
mine was on the driver side at the rear drive tires above the floor near the cold air return vents

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp cat
 home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »
Do you know what it looked like or do you know where i can get a new sensor?  Thanks

Jared

mine was on the driver side at the rear drive tires above the floor near the cold air return vents

dave

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:16:28 PM »
Does anyone know what this sensor is or what it might look like?  I found what I believe to be the wire for the cabin thermostat but not the sensor itself.  Please help me figure this out.  THanks

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 03:38:21 PM »
The sensor in an old MC8 had 4 wires attached to it, mounted in the air flow, inside the piping... oh geez... somewhere... maybe a piece of panel came off to expose it?

Long time ago since I had to think about it.

Isn't it in Da Book???

Happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 07:20:10 PM »
The book shows the sensor but dosen't show the thermal coupler in the vent.  Nor does it show the part number or which wires to wire in a new thermal coupler.  The book is basically useless in regards to how the thermostat gets it's single.

The sensor in an old MC8 had 4 wires attached to it, mounted in the air flow, inside the piping... oh geez... somewhere... maybe a piece of panel came off to expose it?

Isn't it in Da Book???

Happy coaching!
buswarrior

Offline RoverScout

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:13 PM »
Mine had a miltery spec style connector, the ones with a screw down collar to lock the plug in place.  Was about half back on the driver side near the floor. 1994 MC-12

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
1994 MCI-12 converting as we speak
6V92TA DDEC III (Rebuilding spun main)

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 06:23:34 AM »
Ah... it was a Carrier system...

I've always wondered if there was an obscure separate vendor manual back then...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »
I have the sensor that broke off but it dosen't have a number on it.  Does your book have a part number for the thermal coupler?  Thanks

Jared

Isn't it in Da Book???

Happy coaching!
buswarrior

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »
My books are all packed up and remote to my location.

Anyone else have the book or a part number?

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Online thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 08:00:37 AM »
You can download parts and service manuals from mci now. I can't remember exactly where but I believe if you go to mcicoach.com tgere is a link at the top of the page that will take you to support documents or manuals or something like that, then select your series etc. Etc.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline Jcparmley

Re: OTR Thermostat probe
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 05:33:07 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where I can find a replacement temp probe?  My parts manual dosen't have the part listed.  It's the little probe that goes in the drivers side stainless duct.  THe one that tells the thermostat the ambient temp.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Even if you have a manual that contains a part number that would be great.  Or a idea of how to retrofit some other type of probe.  Thanks

Offline eagle19952

Re: OTR Thermostat probe
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
Does anyone have any idea where I can find a replacement temp probe?  My parts manual dosen't have the part listed.  It's the little probe that goes in the drivers side stainless duct.  THe one that tells the thermostat the ambient temp.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Even if you have a manual that contains a part number that would be great.  Or a idea of how to retrofit some other type of probe.  Thanks

to feed a relay...?????????

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V4TJR00/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 09:30:02 PM »
Hi Buswarrior

What would I call the "sensor probe" in the intake duct if I was to do a search on mcicoach.com?  Thanks
Ah... it was a Carrier system...

I've always wondered if there was an obscure separate vendor manual back then...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 04:36:25 AM »
Perfect timing, for a brief moment, I am where the books are!

"Sensing unit - coach temperature"
Fwiw, the MC8 part number was 16B-10-33 and is listed in the "heating and air conditioning" section 16 of the parts manual, under "miscellaneous valves, switches, heat and A/C control components"

Just to get some of the wording familiar.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2018, 04:45:22 AM »
And in the MC8 maintenance manual, the sensor lived in 2 different places during this model run.

One accessible inside the coach through the heater duct at the floor, RH side #2 panel, and underneath in the LH #1 luggage bay, in the center control duct.

You need to be suspicious of the 102C models, there were big changes over the top of them, there is likely more than external appearance differences as the 4 stroke engines came onboard, and the HVAC systems continued to evolve.

In all things busnut, Da Books that have all the revisions for your unit number are critical to speeding the job!

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 10:13:28 AM »
Thank you so very much

.quote author=buswarrior link=topic=32976.msg376190#msg376190 date=1526730322]
And in the MC8 maintenance manual, the sensor lived in 2 different places during this model run.

One accessible inside the coach through the heater duct at the floor, RH side #2 panel, and underneath in the LH #1 luggage bay, in the center control duct.

You need to be suspicious of the 102C models, there were big changes over the top of them, there is likely more than external appearance differences as the 4 stroke engines came onboard, and the HVAC systems continued to evolve.

In all things busnut, Da Books that have all the revisions for your unit number are critical to speeding the job!

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

[/quote]

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2018, 06:46:38 PM »
Ok, so I now have the new thermocoupler and I wired it where the old one was.  Now the thermostat says 138 rather than -40.  I thought perhaps it was set for Celsius or something like that but I can't figure out how to change it.  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior