Author Topic: Thanks for the acceptance  (Read 658 times)

Offline whiskey runner

Thanks for the acceptance
« on: May 17, 2018, 08:15:10 PM »
hi .. i just joined ya'll group..i am a retired off shore diesel mechanic.. i have built a 47 white x-school bus to be my traveling rig.. even though i have not had it out in about 4 years, would like to be doing close to full time  traveling by the years end.. right now my bus has a 1959 C180 supercharged cummins engine and a fuller road ranger 10spd trans with a 4:11 international differential..  it is very hard to drive without a lot of strength in both the upper and lower body, so i am thinking about converting it to a allison at545 and some sort of power assist steering..  if anyone on here has ever done this conversion i would be very happy tom hear from you..  dont know if i can post some pictures but i will try..

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s202.photobucket.com/user/rcplumley/embed/slideshow/46%20magic%20bus%20ready%20for%20road"></iframe>

Offline DoubleEagle

Re: Thanks for the acceptance
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:29:52 PM »
Your truck nose looks similar in style to an old REO truck I used to have. It will definitely be a stylish and unique conversion. Attempting a slide-out is pretty brave, or is this not the first time you have had a project like this? Looks like you are decently close to completion, but as happens to most of us, things can drag out for a while. Welcome to the board.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740

Offline eagle19952

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Phuriousgeorge

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 09:38:09 PM »
Wow, this thing is gorgeous!

Tearin' up Texas - Granbury, TX

"Van Hooligan" - Project page
1996 Van Hool T815 40'

Cummins M11 - 370HP
4-Speed Auto Allison

Online luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:55:20 AM »
Heck of a build ? is that a J Cummins engine and are you using the original White suspension 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
Welcome!!!

Someone who imposes his will on the design!

Lead, do not follow...

I love it!

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline whiskey runner

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:48:52 PM »
thanks for the compliments ya'll... it does draw attention anywhere i go, never parked next to another one just like it yet.. with the roof raised 14", new aluminum skin and a 14'x4' slide-out it looks (almost ) modern..  :) ha ha ha ha .. i did 10,000 miles in three months back in 2012.. averaged over 14mpg;;

i have started remodeling the interior then health issues slowed me down some...  i am feeling much better now and would like to use it for what i intended (and not just a lawn ornament).. but my clutch is too hard to hold with my bum leg, and without power steering it is more of a young man's bus... so i bought a allison at 545 figuring i could come up with a way to make it play nice with my 1959 model cummins C-180 supercharged.. but i have never seen a auto trans behind J or C cummins engines ..i have worked on a couple back in the 60's that powered generators with a lockable torque converter.. i was hoping someone has done the swap before, and has the part # of the flexplate i would need.. or if i had to cut the right amount of metal off my original flywheel to keep everything balanced drill a few holes thru it, and then one in the flywheel housing for access to the converter  bolts
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 07:15:48 PM by whiskey runner »

Online luvrbus

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 07:00:45 PM »
Whats the difference between the J and C Cummins engine lol they look the same to me but I know where a old bus is at that has a J-T with the cast iron 545 Allison it's in a old Carpenter school bus   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline whiskey runner

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 07:01:45 PM »
Heck of a build ? is that a J Cummins engine and are you using the original White suspension 

no it is a C series c180 supercharged 4 valve engine, the trans is a 10.sp. road ranger, the differential is a internartional  the frt axle is original with the steering box moved to the outside of the original frame for engine clearance..
the rest is a combo of the original sheet metal, 4x10 aluminium sheets with 1x2 and 2x3 steel bracing in walls and floors.. i used some parts from a 5th wheel trailer i bought from a insurance company.. the rest is all home fabricated

Offline whiskey runner

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 07:12:32 PM »
the J-series had a 4 1/8 bore x 5.00 srtoke.. 401 cu.in....the C- series has a 4 7/16 bore x 5" stroke.. 464 cu.in.. my engine has 180 h.p. and 425 ft. pds. of torque

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 07:27:45 PM »
thought about an air cylinder slave...
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 04:22:57 AM »
The busnuts who arelikely to have any experience with this vintage ofcustomizing are very likely not internet users.

The old truck forums might be a place to find some experience with that swap. Lots of hobby trucks have been swapped to autos for the same reasons.

Those busnuts reading, we're entering rally season, get asking around on the ground who of the pioneers might know something of this rare bus drivetrain?

Many of the pioneers (bravely did their thing with no Internet or wringing of hands) are still out there, in the various clubs, going to rallies, or sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, wishing their body would cooperate with the dreams still unfulfilled.

A busnut pioneer does not stop,

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 04:58:26 AM »
since it already has a roadranger, how about one of those automated roadrangers?
I had a acf brill that had an air actuated clutch. It used an air brake treadle and a roto brake chamber. with some air pressure manipulation, you could get the actuation pressure pretty low. or use a hand lever control unit to actuate it.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:15:22 PM »
Sweet project!  I like your can do approach to the project.

I have a 1985 MCI 96A3 I put a year 2000 Cummins ISM with an Eaton Autoshift into back in 2007.  I really, really am glad I did that project.  I've put almost 80,000 miles on the bus since then.  The autoshift is a joy to drive, but the 10 spd has a lot of gear shifts in the first 25 mph making it a little slow off the line compared to a standard automatic Allison.  The autoshift I'm using is a generation 1 model that requires the clutch for stopping or getting rolling from a stop. Since my bus had an Allison HT754 in it before I did the conversion I had to fabricate my own clutch pedal.  I used a clutch pull style slave cylinder and standard master cylinder (single output).  The master cylinder is boosted with a brake vacuum booster.  The vacuum is generated with a vacuum pump and a small vacuum reservoir.  The brake booster approach works really well because you retain the instant response of hydraulic fluid (brake fluid).  This is a benefit over the air cylinder approach.

Since your engine is not electronic I would recommend you stay away from the electronic autoshift transmissions.  They work by electronically matching engine rpms and if you have a mechanical engine they are not very happy.  I've been told the generation autoshift will work with a mechanical engine whereby the engine operator does the rpm synchronizing, but don't know if that is really true or not.

In your case I think you are right on to go with the older allison transmission.  However, if the only reason you are converting is because of the heavy clutch you may want to consider the vacuum booster route and a hydraulic slave cylinder.  I know some people really enjoy the manual and you have a good transmission already. 

Lots of ideas and possibilities!

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 04:11:20 AM »
The busnuts who arelikely to have any experience with this vintage ofcustomizing are very likely not internet users.

The old truck forums might be a place to find some experience with that swap. Lots of hobby trucks have been swapped to autos for the same reasons.

Those busnuts reading, we're entering rally season, get asking around on the ground who of the pioneers might know something of this rare bus drivetrain?

Many of the pioneers (bravely did their thing with no Internet or wringing of hands) are still out there, in the various clubs, going to rallies, or sitting on the porch in a rocking chair, wishing their body would cooperate with the dreams still unfulfilled.

A busnut pioneer does not stop,

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

That's interesting. But why do you conclude they don't use the internet?
The internet pretty much as we know it has been around for about 20 years so how long does it take to get used to something?
Even many Amish groups use the internet now.
"Dagnam new fangled lectric stuff bahhh!!!!"