Author Topic: Iota Transfer switch is Buzzing  (Read 425 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Iota Transfer switch is Buzzing
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:23:56 PM »
I have been using an Iota transfer switch for the past 12 years or so. I just noticed that it started to have a loud buzzing when plug into shore power.  I opened the box to see if there were contacts that might be cleanable.  If there are, it would require disassembling the box to get to them since there is nothing visible on the top.  Has anyone had experience with this sort of issue? The switch does appear to still be working, but I take this as a sign that it might be ready to fail.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Online chessie4905

Re: Iota Transfer switch is Buzzing
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2018, 04:02:34 AM »
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 05:23:12 AM »
If you open up the TS box the relays should be clearly marked as to brand and part numbers.  Write the number s down and look on eBay.  You could replace the relay(s) at a fraction of a new TS. 
Also, try tapping on the buzzing relay with the plastic handle of a medium sized screwdriver.  That might work for a while.  Just be careful!
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Van

• SPICEY MEATBALL
  • IGNORE
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
Where are you plugged in at?
Correct incoming power?
IF YOU'RE NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE, YOU'RE TAKIN UP TOO MUCH SPACE.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies.

Geoff: Unfortunately, the relays are under the panel.  I had to disconnect the wiring to remove the whole board to get a look at them.  As you say, I could try replacing the relays, but since access requires disconnecting, there is no way to test with the power on.  Of course, this may be protecting me from myself.

Van: It is plugged in at home where it always is.  I did not think to check to see if something has changed though.  I will test that today.

Offline solardude

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 10:03:22 PM »
I have had the buzzing transfer switches twice now. My experience is that they get progressively more buzzy as time goes, and then fail.

Sometimes I get to work on automation through work which use lots of contacts, sometimes instead of instant failure, I have had contacts stutter on and off. This failure mode is loud, and potentially could harm your other electrical components so waiting for failure is a risk as well.

Good Luck.

SD
Jeff
1993 MCI 102C3
Cummins L10/Allison ATEC
Twin Cities, MN.

Offline opus

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »
They have great customer service, give them a call.
1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 03:09:41 PM »
Good suggestion.  I didn't bother trying to call them since I thought they had gone out of business.  It is merely that they stopped making transfer switches about 6 years ago, but they are still there.  The guy I spoke to speculated that a capacitor on the small circuit board may be going bad, but they do not have any replacement parts.