Author Topic: Inverter  (Read 1978 times)

Offline DominicM

• 67 MCI
Inverter
« on: June 05, 2018, 06:38:09 PM »
When it comes to mechanical issues, I don't shy away. When it comes to electrical engineering I do.   SO I guess its time I get out of my comfort zone and start thinking about what I have been avoiding. 

My MCI has a house generator that the PO would run while driving down the road to power the AC.  I would rather not run the generator while driving. If I can install an inverter and power one of the AC units that would be great.  I was thinking of attaching an inverter to the 24v engine batteries sense that generator only charges the 2 batteries and any lights that may be operating at the moment, ( break, clearance and LED Headlights). I just don't want my greed for AC to burn up one of the units. 

If this is plausible what size inverter would need?
67 MCI 5A
I live in Nashville,  and Reside in my 5A in Big Spring TX for work at the moment,  Will update as I move around.

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
Re: Inverter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 06:41:01 PM »
Call The Generator Man Dick Wright.  He can set you up with the correct Inverter for what you need.  I have one of his generators in my bus and run it most of the time when on the road in my Eagle for the A/C.  His generators are made to run 24/7/365 so don't be afraid to run it whilst driving down the road.  Check him out at http://wricointernational.com/
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline Branderson

• Retired Army, 1974 MCI8, 6V92
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 06:54:15 PM »
Agreed, i was told to run my gen once a month whether i use it or not so running it while i drive when its hot forces me to use it with a/c and im also told that running an a/c makes the gen work harder which is a good thing.
- Brad

Offline DominicM

• 67 MCI
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
My generator is a good system, It as a Kabota Diesel engine, not sure the generator size as its a bit unaccessible. It will run 2 of the 3 AC units as well as the fridge, and lights.  I would rather not run it and conserve that fuel. I am only traveling with my dog and he doesn't watch TV or take showers while driving so its not line I need to run the generator.  I start it and let it run weekly, just not on a load. I guess that has to change.
67 MCI 5A
I live in Nashville,  and Reside in my 5A in Big Spring TX for work at the moment,  Will update as I move around.

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2018, 07:12:40 PM »
Yes, run it with a load on it at least monthly, and weekly is probably better and be sure it gets up to operating temperature.  Good ones will last for a LONG time if you maintain them properly.  I had to rebuild mine last year because the previous owner put tap water in the coolant and it rotted the water pump housing out from the inside and that was quite a job because they weigh a ton, or seem like it anyway.  But they are made to run full time at cell phone towers and they like to run so don't be afraid to run it.
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline neoneddy

• Youtube Build Log
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »
Most ACs will start on a 3000 watt inverter.  The 50d alternator has over 6000 watts available, you're well within spec to use 3000 or more of it.

Put a soft start capacitor on the AC to make it a tick easier.

I've used Aims and Victron inverters, I'm trying to sell my Aims, so there is that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raising hell in Elk River, MN

1982 MCI MC9

6V92 / 4 Speed Auto (HT740) Video Build Log - Bus Conversion & RV Solar company we now started thanks to our Bus

Offline birdarchitect26

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 05:56:48 AM »
Simple answer: Whatever will power your AC +some (10amps * 120V = 1200 watts) I would get at least a 1500 watt inverter for this example, prob a 2000 watt to handle extras.

They usually come 12VDC or 24VDC and various watt ratings. I'm partial to Aims, so far. Magnum inverters for my house.
1973 MC7 Challeger
8V92Ta MCI conversion

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »
A great inverter for that application is the Magnum 4024.  I have one in my MCI bus for the exact application that you have.  I located it in the front luggage bay and tied into the 4/0 cable that runs from the starter motor (and alternator) to the batteries, on the "bus" side of the disconnect switch.  I have a second A-B-disconnect switch between the house battery bank, the start batteries and alternator, and the inverter so I can run from just house batteries while camping, tie the house bank and the start bank together for charging and for running the air conditioner down the road.  Works great. 
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 08:13:33 AM »
Run the generator. The fuel it uses will instead be used by the coach engine with the alternator load, plus a touch of power output loss. Teach the dog how to take a shower and run the microwave. Then he can bring a snack up to you while going down the road. Too many have a costly diesel gen and never get the designed use out of it.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline TomC

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 08:51:31 AM »
When I bought my Trace 2512 modified sine wave inverter/charger, it had the ability to stack to get 5,000 watts. I asked the gal selling it to me if I should do this since I have a 50DN 270amp alternator (3,807 watts at 14.1 volts). She asked if I had a Diesel generator, and said yes I have a 10kw Powertech. Instead of selling me a second inverter, she said just run the generator whenever you want A/C-and that's what I do when running down the road. Because of this, my inverter has been zero problems since I installed it in 1994. I only use my inverter for plugs, one water heater, bath heater, microwave, TV's, etc. Only reason for wiring water heater through inverter, I can have hot water made going down the road. All inverter loads are resistance, no motor loads. I have two circuit breaker boxes-one for inverter loads, and one for direct wired through generator/land line. Has worked so well, I'm wiring my truck the same way. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 10:14:53 AM »
I removed the 50DN alternator as it scared me and went with a 180 amp truck alternator 12v.  I could run one roof air with the alternator and inverter, but after replacing the alternator 3 times I realized even one roof air was too big a load for the alternator.  Now I just run the generator, after all, that is why I bought it. it
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2018, 06:37:59 PM »
This would be a fun topic around a camp fire.  There are so many individual permutations as to when to use inverter power all dependent on secondary issues like battery bank size and personal tolerances as to creature comforts etc.  With only a couple of golf cart batteries to power my inverter, I have to be miserly with my application.  Since I don't trust my genny not to set my bus on fire as I drive down the road, the inverter is the only other way to keep the frig going while I drive.  Once I stop for the night I look to either the genny or shore power to recharge the house batteries.  This can be difficult to work out when camped in a national park what with their 7-9am, 12-2 pm and 5-7pm genny rules.  Jack

Offline DominicM

• 67 MCI
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2018, 06:58:24 PM »
Good to know the Genny rules in a national park. Sounds like we will do as the PO and just give the genny a good work out during our travels. Fred (my basset hound) doesn't like showers so I still doubt he will be jumping in the shower for a hot soak.  But he will enjoy a good ride on the sofa with the cold air blowing on him while I'm driving. 

Maybe in the future I will install more batteries and an inverter.
67 MCI 5A

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2018, 07:48:38 PM »
As Fred gets older, he'll need an electric blanket to lay on for arthritic joints while enjoying the AC. Thus needing the generator.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal