Author Topic: I come before you ashamed and embarrassed  (Read 2401 times)

Offline opus

I come before you ashamed and embarrassed
« on: June 15, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
Ok, now that thats over with, this was allegedly [see what I did there, I made it sound like someone else did it] painted with a brush and rustoleum.  As you can see, it hasnt faired well, as expected....big mistake.  It was a temporary fix that has turned into disaster.  I want it off and back down to yellow [for now].

Ideas?  Sandblasting would be a little harsh and take off more than the stuff thats peeling.  Anyone ever use a one of those sand blaster attachments for a pressure washer?  It about will come off with just the pressure washer.

1995 BB All-American - A Transformation.

Offline DominicM

• 67 MCI
Re: I come before you ashamed and embarrassed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 05:59:31 PM »
I would suggest a 5000 psi pressure washer with a spin nozzle. 

The spin nozzle will remove an coating that is not tightly adhered.
67 MCI 5A
I live in Nashville,  and Reside in my 5A in Big Spring TX for work at the moment,  Will update as I move around.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
Soda blasting. The residue can be washed away with the rain. The new paint came off because the yellow wasn't prepped or enough to allow the new coat to adhere. They do make pre coatings that will allow minimum prep. One is XIM. Another is Zinzer alcohol based primer.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 06:52:52 PM »
I feel you're pain!  My bus was brush painted with Air Force grey latex paint so it could be used in a movie about WWII Japanese relocation camps--that was 15 years before I bought it.  It took me 4 1/2 weeks using paint stripper a wire brush a scraper and a BUNCH of sand paper to get enough of the paint off  for a repaint.  At Mickey D's wages that is about $2700--nearly what the bus cost me.  The worst part was hand sanding to the original finish around every rivet.  And my bus is only half as long as yours--now I'll probably have nightmares.

On the bright side, my repaint is now 6 or 7 years old and still looks fresh.  Remember, your repaint will only be as good as the one under it. Happy sanding :D  Jack

Offline opus

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
I've done enough of this to know about prepping.  Time and situation wouldnt allow it, I knew what I was getting into.  Re-painting is the least of my concerns now.

Soda blasting wont work for me because I have no access to a commercial sandblaster.  Its either going to be with a pressure washer and attachment or something else to do with a pressure washer, or it will stay as it is.

Jack, I surely dont have the ambition for that!!  30 years ago it would have been questionable too, lol!  However, should you ever desire a vacation in Montana......

Offline lvmci

• lvmci
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 08:19:47 PM »
Take all the paint off, down to metal, it will look handsome...
MCI 102C3 8V92, Allison HT740
Formally MCI5A 8V71 Allison MT643
Brandon has really got it going!

Offline opus

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 08:26:17 PM »
That sure would be cool looking.  I've never seen a better bonded paint than a school bus.  I've seen how they bake it on.  I'm afraid the metal and paint are one.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 09:49:58 PM »
That sure would be cool looking.  I've never seen a better bonded paint than a school bus.  I've seen how they bake it on.  I'm afraid the metal and paint are one.
Same here.   The original paint on my bus's aluminum body panels is never going to come off without a fight (I think it's structural load-bearing paint), but on the steel below the windows it can be persuaded to come off with some moderate aggression on my part.   On the fibreglass (sorry, fiberglass) it comes off easily, but that's only on the roof caps and front and rear ends.   When I repaint my bus I'll sand and degrease as much as possible while leaving the original paint in place, and only remove original paint from the FG.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline brmax

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 02:34:01 AM »
On a cool 70-80 degree day, use some house wrap for run off gathering. With this apply on some strip eze type remover, or apply how ever to the recent paint coating.

Cover these small manageable areas say a 6 x 12’ with plastic and tape this securely for awhile. This helps and although this works good it is still a better process in mild temperature weather as mentioned.
My idea ( scrape hell, put more stripper on ) and follow mfg. recomendations for applications and materials removed.

Good day

1992 MC9
6V92
Allison

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
Chances are pressure washing will take more off, but not all of it. Experiment with strippers on small areas, and then pressure wash again. The temperature and length of time the stripper is on will determine how easy it comes off without affecting the original yellow. Use weaker ones like citrus first. Using a brush is not embarrassing, but then, using a roller might be.  ;D
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline opus

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 02:00:10 PM »
I did the stripper thing...paint stripper that is.  It worked but made the yellow soft, plus RIVETS galore.  There will be no hand work done at all for this.  I cant do it, nor do I care to do it.  I'm thinking rat rod, lol.

It may not look great but rest assured, it is mechanically 110% with meticulous maintenance.

Offline brmax

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »
Great Work!
In the coming months when all the green is off, hire some youngsters to wash it 4 different times in this summer.  :)
The trick is that they can only use red scotch brite pads, 1 each and the real ones.
You couldnt get a better prep for rat rod dupont primer.

Rock On!

Floyd
1992 MC9
6V92
Allison

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal