Author Topic: Old ups trucks  (Read 4769 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Old ups trucks
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2018, 12:59:05 PM »
The Hybird buses have been around for quite awhile, MCI is on their 2nd generation now,and coming with the J- 35 ft a total electric bus 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline windtrader

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2018, 04:03:51 PM »
It seems the range hurdle is mostly solved for transits. On an average day around town, the electric capacity seems acceptable. Same for cars. For most daily commute and around town use, range is not a big issue. Additionally, as stated, for those with longer commutes to work, many office parks are adding charge stations.

Even for longer trips, like between SF and LA, range is 335 miles for a Tesla. OK, pretty tight but I believe there are charge places along the way where you can catch a meal break and get enough amps back in to eliminate the worry.

This is today, and we all know how quickly tech is advancing now.

As for self drive, it's a subject of which I have very little detail knowledge. It seems sensor technology is there, control (drive-by-wire) is there. It's the algorithms which need improvement. Huge black hole to me. I still stand by my assertion that based on how glued drivers are to their phones while driving on the road, I'll take my chances with the AI in the cars.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2018, 04:44:45 AM »
Indeed the technology will improve to the point where electric vehicles are as reliable with the power and range as gasoline and diesel. But for now, a hybrid is the best of both worlds.
I have a cordless weed eater that really has a killer amount of power when starting out but after about 15 minutes it get to the point where it barley has enough power to knock over a blade of grass before it needs a few hours of charge.
Same with all electric cars, truck and buses. They have to do much to improve and get over with the public first.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2018, 04:55:57 AM »
The view of the future: "Bus conversion for sale... In great condition. Fully electric battery powered, great range and power. Will sacrifice..needs batteries replaced..... :P
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline windtrader

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48:56 AM »
needs batteries replaced
That's the truth. One thing not discussed much here is the lifespan and replacement cost of the battery bank. Will just have to wait and see, yes, it has been a long time already, what will supersede lithium.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2018, 10:28:16 AM »
I have a cordless weed eater that really has a killer amount of power when starting out but after about 15 minutes it get to the point where it barley has enough power to knock over a blade of grass ...

Which equates to the current degree of motivation and attention span of the average 15 year old's doing chores today... :P
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2018, 10:35:14 AM »
HEHE when I was 15, we didn't have a battery powered weedeater. It was the type with a cord so there was no excuse to not finish because of a depleted battery.
I enjoyed using it anyway but the cord could be a pain. :)

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
We didn't have weed eaters. We had to use grass shears.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »
We didn't have weed eaters. We had to use grass shears.
A tool I still detest. I think my mother gave us each one as a birthday gift. :)
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 05:16:32 PM »
We also had a self propelled reel type mower at the cabin. Did a nice job but wouldn't cut of those dang buckhorn stems no matter how many times you ran over them.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
Ha!  Same mower when I was a kid.

(edit:  I just realized that self propelled didn't mean hand push so ----)

I mowed both front and back yard for a buck.  A buck four bits with an edge trim using some sort of stick thingy with a rubber roller and a steel star shaped blade.  To get the edger to work right required a twist of the low back and a rapid shove of the tool--killer tool.  Speaking of killer "hand" tools, I can still feel the low back pain caused by the famous Hula Hoe!  Come on guys, lets get this battery run time thing sorted out while I can still walk!  Jack

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2018, 11:38:59 AM »
The autonomous cars will bring back the land yacht, with balloon tires, soft suspension and deep comfy seats. Owners will insist on being able to read their newspaper (or tablet) and drink their coffee undisturbed and there's no hope of doing that in any of today's cars. Too "sporty" and "European".
To tell a snowflake from a wall you just need binocular vision. Those problems are pretty minor. BUT what about the algorithm that decides you must die to protect (insert whatever)? I can see problems there. So how's that work with a bus? And then there's the whole hacker issue. Do you really want your autonomous vehicle to allow outside access?

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline Bill B /bus

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
Man! Did we get off topic. Great discussion.

My choice would be a hybrid vehicle. Electric with LiOH battery, diesel constant speed engine  and dynamic braking. LiOH battery because of high charge rate and max use of amphours, down to 10% charge without damage. Diesel engine because of max efficiency. Small engine, turboed and constant speed for tuned intake and exhaust.
Because of Navy experience, 9 years on submarines as an electrician, I detest wet cell batteries. Constant maintenance. But the alternatives are four to five times the cost form storage batteries. 

Bill
Bill & Lynn
MCI102A3, Series 50 w/HT740

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
The autonomous cars will bring back the land yacht, with balloon tires, soft suspension and deep comfy seats. Owners will insist on being able to read their newspaper (or tablet) and drink their coffee undisturbed and there's no hope of doing that in any of today's cars.
I think the word for that is "bus"!   That description pretty much covers traveling by bus  -  OK, maybe not by Greyhound, but that's what luxury bus travel is in most parts of the world these days.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline Slug

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2018, 02:24:25 AM »
An Australian couple has just finished a trip right around and up the center in a Tesla using swags and using outback Pub free camps   (Buy and stay deal) but not forced
They just asked to use the power to recharge, also used a App that lists share power places around the country. In so doing this asked if the pubs wanted to be put on the app and most said yes
Not quite ready for buses yet, now where's my 500 mile long power lead
Now back to the missing UPS trucks
M A N 16-280, 40ft, 1985, air brakes, air suspension
280 hp turbo 5 speed, under conversion

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal