Author Topic: Holes in oil bath air cleaner bottom  (Read 3907 times)

Offline OKIE9ERS

Holes in oil bath air cleaner bottom
« on: July 14, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
Giving my 8v71 its 1st oil change since I got it...
Was going to service the air filter...the nuts holding the bottom on felt like they hadnt been touched for years...got inside and scraped easily 2 inches of solid crud off the bottom...uncovered 2 small holes in the  bottom pan...explains the oil(not alot considering) on the muffler..
Will JB weld work on this pan? Actually never used the stuff..
Thanks
'81 MC-9 8V-71
4SPD DANA

Offline luvrbus

Re: Holes in oil bath air cleaner bottom
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
Toss the POS and replace it with a paper ECO system 1100 CFM your DD will love you,that is not a good sign a oil bath filter not being serviced 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline OKIE9ERS

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2018, 10:13:08 AM »
Thanks...will do just that later..for today to have something on it had my guy who installs fenders and such at work weld it up...ive run across eco air filters a few times at work...definitely going to look into it
'81 MC-9 8V-71
4SPD DANA

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 11:49:31 AM »
My bus came to me with dry oil bath filters, for who knows how long, and a dusted engine.  It literally had a quarter inch of oily sand in the air box when I took the blower off to look inside.
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
So what is involved in changing to paper filters in a gmpd4106? Where do you get filters?. Is there a kit or simply clean out the oil and put in a filter?

And while we?re talking about filters how does one go about changing fuel filters to spin on as well?

Thx

Fred

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »
So what is involved in changing to paper filters in a gmpd4106? Where do you get filters?. Is there a kit or simply clean out the oil and put in a filter?

No. One needs to revamp (so to speak) ALL of the existing goes in the scrap bin.
Donaldson ECO Filter:

And while we?re talking about filters how does one go about changing fuel filters to spin on as well ?

Same, one needs adapters: Detroit Diesel spin on fuel filter adapter (typical):

Thx

Fred
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »
JB Weld will work on the oil bath air cleaner reseviours. Need to clean, etch & oiless. We like the oil baths. Eventually when we were experiencing more & more pin holes due to age, we finally just cleaned all the pans & poured a layer of polyester resin with fiber reinforcement to cover the entire bottom of all the corroded pans. They've performed like new for lots of years since then. Nothing wrong with the oil bath air cleaners IMO
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 06:27:55 PM »
Nothing wrong with the oil bath air cleaners IMO

Agreed.
Until they aren't serviced.
In-fact lack of service netted the paper filter industry.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »
You can get the adapters of Fuel and oil filter spin-on heads here. Look under whatever engine you have and then click filter fuel or oil and they will have them. about 50 to 60 each but well worth it.

https://dieselpro.com/detroit-diesel-parts?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI85e6wfyf3AIVh4F-Ch3aPATZEAAYASAAEgL5J_D_BwE
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 06:45:49 AM »
Agreed.
Until they aren't serviced.
In-fact lack of service netted the paper filter industry.

Oil bath is a old technology times moves on,it is well documented by DD paper filters are better at filtering at all speeds not just full throttle like the oil baths.I hated when you went to field and found somebody fires off a 6-71 with oil baths filters full of water   

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 01:01:07 PM »
I looked at the oil filter adapter as listed from Diesel-pro( for the 8v71) and it looks like you take off the old (canister ) filter, then screw on the adapter and then put the spin-on filter on. Do you suppose It is REALLY as simple as that?

Regards
Feed

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 01:04:00 PM »
I looked at the oil filter adapter as listed from Diesel-pro( for the 8v71) and it looks like you take off the old (canister ) filter, then screw on the adapter and then put the spin-on filter on. Do you suppose It is REALLY as simple as that?

Regards
Feed

yep it really is  8) I use the oil filter adapter but for the secondary and primary fuel filters I buy the bases for spin on they are cheaper and the filters are standard plus 1 less connection to cause a problem that is JMW

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 10:33:43 PM »
What  fuel filters do you buy. Is it then a matter of finding what base they will screw on to.
Also do you need a primary and secondary filter. My Ram Cummins comes stock with one filter although I added a second spin on filter that filters finer particles. Is  the principle the same.

I presume the recommended filters for an 8/71 are specified for a reason.Flow, Etc.

Thanks

Fred

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:56 AM »
You may want to look at a Davco 380 from a truck wrecking yard those you can buy for 50 bucks and forget about fuel filters and the priming issues that some owners are plaque with   

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »
So does the Davao 380 replace both the existing primary AND secondary filters?

Regards
Fred

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal