Author Topic: Update: I'm an Idiot, overheated my engine in the Black Hills  (Read 2491 times)

Offline neoneddy

• Youtube Build Log
Well, I learned I can't pull our van up 6% grades in 90 degree heat for 3 miles for one.   I shot the IR gun at the Thermostat housings and it read 210 or so.   I thought I was done for... maybe still am, but read on.

Once it cooled off a bit it fired up and idled down to normal temps, then on the next hill we unhooked the toad.  That seemed to do the trick, pulled into the KOA.

I got to thinking as I had no cell service there in the Hills, and got some degreaser and cleaned out the radiators, topped the coolant up (seemed a little low) and checked the transmission fluid, it took a gallon, but now it's reading a bit high, but I'll fudge on that side.

On startup this morning she spewed some white smoke but I gave it a little throttle and it cleared up right away (Normal-ish, it got cold into the 60s last night)

I could use a refresher course on "How to Drive in the Hills" maybe.  This time I tried something different.   Before I'd get a run up from the bottom of the hill and ease off the throttle as speed and rpms dropped until it shifted.  I didn't think that was lugging it, but maybe it was.    This time, I down shifted early and gave it the beans (watching the temp of course) keeping the RPMS higher and thus the fan moving more air.   Going up the Hills it did want to climb into the 190 range again sans toad, but I think that's expected on a longer 6% grade.   I also tried to keep the RPMS up on the downhill as well, again keeping that fan moving air, but never wanting RPMS to reach above governed speed.   

Power seemed ok, I could accelerate to 35 or so up the hills in the lower gear and I'd just cruise right there.   One thing that is horrible here is the stop lights at the bottom of hills, it's brutal going up.

So I'm sitting at a park with the bus in Rapids City, while the family is doing some activities and I'm supposed to be working (I was, now I'm updating you jokers) feeling blessed to not be stranded and to have you guys to guide me and ask questions to.

We plan on running a good portion of it tonight with cooler temps,  spend the night some place and hit it early to be home before noon.

Still looking for some tell-tale signs of damage from you guys if you know of any.

Raising hell in Elk River, MN

1982 MCI MC9

6V92 / 4 Speed Auto (HT740) Video Build Log - Bus Conversion & RV Solar company we now started thanks to our Bus

Offline luvrbus

Re: Update: I'm an Idiot, overheated my engine in the Black Hills
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:51:41 PM »
Watch your air box drain tubes it will show there first
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 06:35:59 PM »
Watch your air box drain tubes it will show there first

This guy is way too hard on himself Clifford.  Really don't consider his problem adverse enough to label himself an idiot, we all get our share of time in the barrel with these monsters (buses). 

Maybe he is at most, just a little behind the learning curve, we have all been there at one time.

Sure makes all the money I spent to upgrade to the Detroit and Intercooler setup - Desert Package (misters) worthwhile when I read stuff like this Clifford.  So here is the, good news!  I am no longer falling down, yeah, no poopy.  But I am subject to random gravity checks during the week. 

BCO

Offline neoneddy

• Youtube Build Log
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 07:19:15 AM »
What am I looking for in the drain tubes? Smoke? Fluid?

1982 MCI MC9

6V92 / 4 Speed Auto (HT740) Video Build Log - Bus Conversion & RV Solar company we now started thanks to our Bus

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 08:37:11 AM »
What am I looking for in the drain tubes? Smoke? Fluid?

Look for antifreeze coolant,water or excessive oil the tubes will tell it all
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »
I think what Clifford is saying is that you can tell a lot about these beasts by what comes out the drain tubes, just like people... ;D

Couldn't resist. Sorry :D

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2018, 11:51:20 AM »
Different reasons for oil at drain tubes. Excessive oil out the drain tubes on my 8V92TA was Blower Seals. Hope yours didn't get hot enough to get o rings on liners.

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
Instead of having the airbox tubes draining straight down onto the ground, you can easily have them go into a small catch can through some short lengths of clear PVC tube, then you can see exactly how much oil is coming from each bank.   I did this a while ago, well worth it.   I use 3/8" OD black poly tube from each drain valve, 3/8" ID clear tube and a pair of 3/8" elbow barbs into a 1-gal plastic jug.   Easy!

John     
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline neoneddy

• Youtube Build Log
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
How much oil should I be expecting?  It's always dribbled a little.   I suppose if there is water in there I'll see it separate.
 Right now my dip stick shows  below F, but  it's backed-up into my driveway which is on a nice downslope so the oil is sloshed up to the front of the sump.   Over 1,292 miles  it covered the toad pretty good, it's done that since I got it though.  It read near F every-time I checked in the mornings, so far oil looks clean, not milky or anything. 

She fired up this morning, almost aggressively so, not a single puff of white, just a tick of black.

1982 MCI MC9

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal