Author Topic: Digital navigation options  (Read 9620 times)

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
Re: Digital navigation options
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2018, 08:35:57 AM »
Never trust just one GPS.  Multiple GPSs are much better.  ;D
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2018, 09:31:17 AM »
I used maps in the past, because I like to plan my route ahead, but I also have the truck GPS. 

Maps are hard to read while driving, and if your co-pilot is incompetent at map reading, or you don't have one, then the GPS is way to go.  I use the Garmin Truck&RV GPS because I hate to turn around and waste fuel.  You can easily lose an hour trying to turn around.

I work at a military base with ONE GATE OPEN for CARS, and a separate very nice WIDE TRUCK GATE.  At least once a month, I am delayed getting to work because some TRUCK driver follows his cheap GPS, and/ or can't read ENGLISH and ignores the NO TRUCK sign at the end of the road. 

I used to have a separate car GPS for travelling, but now most rental cars have a built in GPS, and if not I can use one of the Apps on my phone to guide me adequately in a car.

I use the Garmin, because it seems to be the most user friendly, and they are the original GPS company(after the US Military).  Good map books are nearly impossible to find.  The free ones offered by states at their rest stops are good, but unwieldy, so the GPS and Google Maps are my route planners now.

Steve T
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2018, 09:34:00 AM »
You have to watch a GPS real close when leaving Jerome AZ to Prescott they will route you down 89A if you haven't been that route it is a real treat in a bus with a tow vehicle, hair pin curves with steep grades with 20 mph speed limits with 40 ft restrictions  BTDT   
Did that (slowly) from Prescott to Flag. NBD :)
Well, yes, the mpg dropped off.
try Wilhoit to Prescott.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
I do like the interchange pictures that pop up on newer Garmins that indicate which lane to be in. I hate when they designate a road by it's name instead of route number.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline richard5933

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
For those using the paper maps only, how do you handle the fact that they are out of date before you even buy them? At least the Garmin can be updated for free as often as necessary, and it seems that they do a pretty good job of keeping things current.

I think that once upon a time there were paper maps which were kept current, but I'm not sure that's the case anymore. A good friend's family used to run a map store in Milwaukee - they shut down since no one was buying the paper maps anymore. When I lived in Dallas there was a company called Mapsco which published a spiral-bound set of maps for the Metroplex. It had updates published all the time. I just looked and don't see anything listed newer than 2017.

The paper map is really good to get an overall visual of the route and to confirm that the GPS didn't miss a large freeway just beyond the next hill, but I wouldn't want to rely solely on paper maps anymore.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2018, 12:12:17 PM »
I have to admit that after using a GPS for the past 15 years, I did go out and buy a paper truckers atlas last fall.  I found that it is easier to see the BIG picture on a complete map rather than only seeing a 4" diagonal map of the U.S.A.  The BIG map was easier to plan routes on. 

Offline sledhead

« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2018, 02:25:49 PM »
my wife Karen uses the rand mcnally map like this to make sure the gps is working right and at stops it is nice to get a better idea where we are

https://store.randmcnally.com/2019-large-scale-road-atlas.html

most years the map is the same just the year has changed so we try to buy a new one every 3 years or so and by that time a new one is needed

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline richard5933

« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2018, 03:03:51 PM »
If the highways around Milwaukee are anything like the rest of the country, a 3 year update cycle would leave you high and dry. The highways around here were built decades ago with left-hand on & off ramps. Over the past 10 years or so they've been rebuilding nearly every larger interchange and many of the smaller ones to bring things to the modern ages. The roads & ramps are changing so often around here that even with updates every three months the GPS can't keep up. I don't drive through many of the intersections on a regular basis anymore, so the feature on the GPS telling me which lane to be in for exits is a huge help, and I have yet to see a paper map with that. On top of that, there's been a push to update and rebuild bridges all over, and having up to date height & weight information is something that the RV GPS will be able to do.

For setting an overall route paper maps win hands down. For navigating through that route I'll take  GPS any day unless it's a route that I'm already familiar with.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2018, 03:24:08 PM »
...so the feature on the GPS telling me which lane to be in for exits is a huge help, and I have yet to see a paper map with that.

Great point, especially when driving thru Los Angeles too on I-5 when it goes from 10 lanes to 2 lanes over several miles with lanes that keeps disappearing.  It is nice when it barks "Be in either of the two left lanes".  Also, I am not married so having a GPS tell me where to go is just like having a wife.  8)

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2018, 03:35:56 PM »
I plan a lot of routes by looking at Google maps on the computer. Nice that they give 3 choices of routes with different travel times. I only get the free maps at the state welcome centers. About every three years, I'll buy a spiral bound McNally at Walmart or Flying J near by.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline sledhead

« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2018, 05:34:04 AM »
when you live in the great white north ( Canada ) most of the gps I have used over the years there is only 4 roads ( 400 series hwy's ) like interstates . so when you go off them you get a lot of

" CURVE AHEAD " 

and it comes up a lot !

but yes I would not be without one ( or 2 ) because you have to 

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Fred Mc

« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2018, 06:07:01 AM »
"Also, I am not married so having a GPS tell me where to go is just like having a wife."
Thats fine but its only part of the equation as being retired you no longer have an employer telling you WHEN to go" . :)

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2018, 06:28:23 AM »
And having a choice of voice prompts, like British or Australian or several others. Wife has had disagreements with Judy over directions. Interesting conversation sometimes.lol
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2018, 07:12:01 AM »
First i look at a road atlas, then i look at map quest, then if there is any question about the route that i want to go on i will use google earth to take a close look and get see how busy the road is and if it is paved or not, and how many lanes it has. Then what i do is write down where and what i have to do....such as exit numbers, hiway number changes etc.  Put that paper  where i can either take a quick look at it or have my wife read it to me. 
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2018, 04:56:34 PM »
We have the big Rand McNally map book and our smart phones. If I am driving DW tells me where to turn and what exit to take or asks which way are we going and then she figures it all out with both, Oh and she was a dispatcher for a large moving company for 10 years and that helps too. :)
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal