Author Topic: RV Campground Woes  (Read 5075 times)

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
Re: RV Campground Woes
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2018, 04:59:42 PM »
The code nazis are common north of '49 too but they are not everywhere.  I don't know how it works in the US but I expect it is similar.  In our little village there is literally no building code.  We have paved streets, sewer, treated water, garbage pickup - everything you'd expect in a larger urban setting but no building code.  That means that I can do my own wiring without impacting my insurance.  I can and did build a new shop without getting permission from anyone.  I can park equipment on my property without worrying about some busybody coming along to tell me I can't deal as I please with my own property.  That doesn't mean we don't have busybodies and it isn't a free pass to create a mess.  Council can and does act if somebody gets too out of line but it does mean that I'm not paying taxes to have some asshat come harass me whenever I step outside my house.  I expect there are similar little villages in the USA - you'll just have to look until you find them.  Or pack a suitcase full of greenbacks and immigrate.  Hell, just bring the empty suitcase and our nitwit government will give you free room and board indefinitely.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »
The HOA came after me, and I put them out of business by representing myself in Court.  Got all my money back plus some. 
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2018, 06:57:54 PM »
BOTN, what's your weather like?  I am SO SICK of being regulated!-----Jack

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2018, 06:59:41 PM »
BOTN, what's your weather like?  I am SO SICK of being regulated!-----Jack

Great in the summer but winter really sucks.  That what the wheels on the bus are for.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2018, 07:22:14 PM »
I can deal with some regulations,the friggn property taxes piss me off you never own a piece of property you work your @$# off for years then lease your property from from some county,state or city.
It never ends you never own it,we have a 5 acre piece of ground nothing on it just desert in Scottsdale my taxes are almost a $1000.00 per month on bare ground. Hell I never made that much money in a month when I went into the workforce in 1958.
It's sad I shouldn't be paying school taxes I haven't had a kid in school in over 35 years and schools don't need a 50 mil dollar football field when only a few are selected to play football.off my soap box now   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2018, 07:41:20 PM »
we have a 5 acre piece of ground nothing on it just desert in Scottsdale my taxes are almost a $1000.00 per month on bare ground.

I thought it was only California that had crazy situations like that. I assume that they have not provided any water or sewage connections to this bare lot, and no utilities. That is flat insane.  :o
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2018, 08:17:37 PM »
As Bob said the little town of Tok in Alaska is like he described, no building dept. no building code, no taxes (inc. real estate!) That's why we purchased there. Didn't know places like that still existed! The roads are graveled and plowed in the winter, fire & police depts. Airport (tiny) No sewer but septic. As you roam through the side streets - one minute you're looking at a tent & a pack of sled dogs, the next minute your looking at a beautiful high end log home. No one bothers anyone and there's pot luck dinner at the church every Sunday. On the other corner of the continent in Florida is our acreage nestled into the National forest with no visible neighbors in site. The police dept. is your fence line, the dogs, & eventually Smith & Wesson if it came to that. We're originally from the NE, got too crowded so we moved south. Most of our best earning years were out west in Cali, beautiful geography, great weather, too much asphalt & traffic on it, too many people, too many rules, too many campsites that won't rent to an antique bus. So here we are enjoying life our way. No matter where you're at - it still develops. A couple side line habits to get away from tight is avoid week ends when retired (now), put the 4X4 in 4X4 & leave 90-95% behind, or put the boat in the hole in the water & screw the straight line streets & dotted white lines. :-)   
Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

Offline windtrader

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2018, 08:23:42 PM »
DE - Crazy CA property tax is just that, insane. Insane in both good and bad ways depending on your situation. Prop 13 limits the property tax to 1% of assessed value upon purchase. The assessor can adjust the property value at most 2%/year. Since property prices are quite high, that one percent puts the hurt on pretty well. $1m property is $10,000 in base tax. Then there are plenty of ad valorem and parcel taxes piled on depending on how nuts(liberal) your local voters are. So tax bill can easily be over $1k per month.

Now, the good part. The longer you own the property the lower the tax becomes relative to its market value. For instance, I have property that was assessed Prop 13 way, way back and since the initial assessment was so low, 2%/year just does not add up much. With the annual property tax at $1200/YEAR on property valued at $1m today you'll never wipe the grim off my face, ever.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2018, 08:41:46 PM »
I thought it was only California that had crazy situations like that. I assume that they have not provided any water or sewage connections to this bare lot, and no utilities. That is flat insane.  :o

No it has all the utilities and I had to pay the connections fees for future use that was 10 grand ,this is a commercial tract on a corner but taxes are too high IMO and the sorry SOB's turn down every development plan I submit to planning .I have owned that track for 18 years now long before Scottsdale grew that direction.Phoenix,Mesa,Tempe and the surrounding towns are not that bad it's just Scottsdale that is a real PITA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2018, 09:08:25 PM »
DE - Crazy CA property tax is just that, insane. Insane in both good and bad ways depending on your situation. Prop 13 limits the property tax to 1% of assessed value upon purchase. The assessor can adjust the property value at most 2%/year. Since property prices are quite high, that one percent puts the hurt on pretty well. $1m property is $10,000 in base tax. Then there are plenty of ad valorem and parcel taxes piled on depending on how nuts(liberal) your local voters are. So tax bill can easily be over $1k per month.

Now, the good part. The longer you own the property the lower the tax becomes relative to its market value. For instance, I have property that was assessed Prop 13 way, way back and since the initial assessment was so low, 2%/year just does not add up much. With the annual property tax at $1200/YEAR on property valued at $1m today you'll never wipe the grim off my face, ever.

That true Don but when you sell it CA rips your @$# with the capital gain tax selling your home where most states don't

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2018, 02:54:38 AM »
Dear Clifford, being as I am a card carrying concerned member of Anti Thread Drift, I put up a little thing in Off Topic.  So here you go ... 

READ MY LIPS.

<><><>

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2018, 06:00:51 AM »
LOL Don I do hope the guy finds a place but he can forget about Scottsdale and move on

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2018, 08:27:28 AM »

I wonder if I could live in Huggy in Oregon.  She is not a rv but a House Car.

Guess i will have to get my lawyer involved.  Only thing worse than a gov employ is a lawyer.

O I forgot they are the same thing  LOL

How about that box car okie

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline edvanland

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2018, 08:41:34 AM »
Cliff we rode by Hwy 260 & I 17 yesterday and tried to find where you are talking about. Guess we will have to go back in the truck with air because we were on the trike celebrating Janet's birthday and our wedding anniversary and it was to hot to dilly dally we had been in the high country by Strawberry nice and cool.
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »
Cliff we rode by Hwy 260 & I 17 yesterday and tried to find where you are talking about. Guess we will have to go back in the truck with air because we were on the trike celebrating Janet's birthday and our wedding anniversary and it was to hot to dilly dally we had been in the high country by Strawberry nice and cool.

Ed it's on the north side directly across from the convenience store,you will see the for sale sign on ours. The park is going to be north on the river,it is really going to be a park with lots for sale not a regular rv park.I wanted a John Deere dealer ship on ours but a guy that owned 4 dealerships put a kibosh on that idea

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal