Author Topic: Resurrecting Dallas and Cat Farnworth's PD-4103  (Read 6654 times)

Offline Numbskulls

Resurrecting Dallas and Cat Farnworth's PD-4103
« on: August 16, 2018, 12:52:12 PM »
Hello BCM community!

I am new to this bus forum, but my bus isn?t!  I did not know that when I first contacted the forum to join.  Since I was approved to join I found out that the previous owner of the bus I purchased had been a moderator on the forum!  I purchased the PD-4103, from the iconic Dallas and Cat Farnworth.  Since I joined I have had members share absolutely hilarious stories with me about Dallas and Cat, but of course, Dallas in particular.

When I met them, they were nothing but warm, fun people to be around and Dallas spent hours with my son, my boyfriend and I telling us all about the vehicle we were getting ready to take home.  I had to make payments to them over a few months in order to afford it, but they knew it was going to a good home.  Irregardless, when it was paid for and we were there to bring it to its new home Dallas kept offering for us to store it at their RV park if necessary.. it was very hard for him to let it go, and because of that, it broke my heart taking it.

My plan for the bus was always to update it inside and live in it.  But because of financial constraints and because I decided that a career change was necessary for me, my plan has changed. I decided to make her into a tour bus!  I really love the idea of sharing the Americana history that goes along with this bus fascination I have.  When we took up the flooring, however, we discovered that the majority of the sub-floor needed to be replaced.  It is now done but I am in need of some help in order to get my dream off the ground. 

With the blessing of The forum owner Gary, and the help of Phil Lyons, I have gotten approval to post my GoFundMe campaign that I had set up.  It has been out in the world, and not doing very well, people out there, don?t understand our fascination I guess, even more reason to make this come true.

I have added one of only 2 pictures I have of Dallas and the bus at the RV park they were living at.  I apologize I don't have his face. I have also included a link to the website I created, with homage on the history page and a link to my GoFundMe campaign page. I will post before and after pictures along the way. And, of course, be there in whatever way I can for the members here.

https://numbskullsbus.wixsite.com/numbskullsbus/bus-history

https://www.gofundme.com/numbskulls-vintage-bus-austin

Any help would be so greatly appreciated!  I will post before and after photos and keep y?all (I AM in Texas :) ) updated.

Warmest,

Kelli

Offline chessie4905

Re: Resurrecting Dallas and Cat Farnworth's PD-4103
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 07:06:20 AM »
???
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline edvanland

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »
We all spend big bucks restoring and maintain our beast,  I for one do not appreciate you asking us to donate our money to your project and I don't care why you think we should give you money. Now if this is not appropriate then delete my response. My 2 cents worth nothing more. Thanks and I for one am glad you are doing what you are doing just not on other peoples money. Let the flames begain.

Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline Numbskulls

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »
I sincerely apologize.. Upsetting anyone was the last thing I wanted to do! I had thought getting approval was sort of setting the temperature but I was devastatingly wrong it seems. When I joined I got so much wonderful feedback from people and when I posted my funding page.. Nothing. I am truly sorry if I offended anyone that was the last thing on my mind.. I will remove my post immediately.. Thanks for letting me know..

Kelli

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
You went through the channels not like you were doing a scam , leave it up it will disappear anyways in time,who knows a few here may get to feeling generous and contribute lol you never know,I don't think you can delete it now anyways without Phil doing it for you       
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Numbskulls

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 03:59:35 PM »
I tried to delete it... I don't know how to🙁.. I am so sorry!  I have asked Phil to help me. You guys seem like a great and close group of guys.. I don't want to jeopardize any comraderie that is way more important in my book..

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
Just in case you never noticed Kelli,the red carpet is not rolled out here for female posters, why I have no idea there has been few over the years with great ideas but don't hang around and deal with it  lol fire away guys but its the truth 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Your not the first and won't be the last.
There have been others on these boards who have asked for and got.
In fact there are plenty here who solicit for parts (and get them) with no bullshit attached or implied.
Kinda like ... I think the word would be hypocrite.
Parts are money too.
Here's a thought, don't want to give, don't.
Let the flames commence !
IDGAS.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Numbskulls

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 04:34:57 PM »
You guys are awesome just as I suspected! As far as being female, I was one of the first female Electrical Designers in a decidedly male dominated Engineering world and hung in there for 30 years. I grew a thick skin a long time ago.. I actually love the comraderie and the bullshit! I can and will hang with the best 😊.. Here to fan the flames!

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
Stick around, lots of info here.

Busnuts are all broke, that's why we roll our own.

Wait patiently, you'll find your credentials/background able to contribute to the collective.

Gender is meaningless, smarts and willingness to contribute is what counts.

But luvrbus does have a point...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline plyons

• Administrator
  • Bussin' in Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 11:05:13 AM »
Greetings bus folk!

Just a bit of clarifications ; I've been bussin' around & working so haven't had a chance to post earlier & Gary has been offline as well.  Kelli's post is an approved post.

Bus Conversion Magazine does not generally allow this type of post for our members to ask for money, but because Dallas and Cat were huge supporters of the Forum & very involved & helpful, we made an exception to our rules this time.  No one has to make any kind of donation if they do not want to, but if you feel the urge to help out, then that is up to you. 

Dallas was one of the original moderators and helped get this site off the ground, and Cat sometimes posted several times p/day w/ birthday wishes and helped build community. Many knew Dallas & Cat's bus, so it was fun for those of us who knew them to see it revived.  And clicking on the link on the site posted by Kelli brings up some very interesting history.  I believe Gary will be posting some of it to his Facebook page.  More on that soon. 

Sorry for the delay in getting this out -
Kind Regards, Phil

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Administrator
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
This is a very interesting piece of history. I clicked on the link provided and read all about the PD-4103 and also the Wiki information and found it an interesting read.   You may want to do the same.  I am all for anyone restoring and resurrecting these old buses and hopefully one day we can run an article about this bus in Bus Conversion Magazine.

Gary
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversionMagazine.com

Offline Numbskulls

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2018, 11:54:39 AM »
Thank you Gary and Phil! We are working on her everyday in the blazing Texas sun! But amazingly the engine AND air conditioners fire right up! Thank you Dallas! You guys are the best and I feel blessed to have found y'all and to own this beautiful bus 😊

Offline Numbskulls

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2018, 01:01:21 PM »
A couple of gems we just found! Dallas loved Cat😁.. So cool! And this never opened t-Stat.. Apparently GMC use to send parts cocooned in WAX!

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2018, 01:37:32 PM »
No comprende
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal