Author Topic: Roof Raised Insurance  (Read 3492 times)

Offline mmanning

Roof Raised Insurance
« on: September 21, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
I have been following Jcparmley's thread about raising the roof of his MCI 102c3As with interest, but I'm particularly interested in potential problems with insurance and campgrounds. (I didn't want to derail the current discussion on that thread so I figured I start a new one)

I understand it right now, getting insurance for a bus conversion is not all that hard, but does it get hard with a roof raise?  I know that some campgrounds look unfavorably at some bus conversions, do they have a bigger problem with a roof raised franken bus?
Stewartville, MN (just south of Rochester, 1.5 hours south of Minneapolis)
78’ Silver Eagle Model 05
8v71 no turbo
Allison HT740-D
My Bus

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Re: Roof Raised Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 08:49:00 AM »
If a busnut wants to talk themselves out of an insurance policy, I guess that's easy to do. Just keep talking to the underwriter, you'll scare 'em off soon enough?

As for the coach appearance if it looks like crap, and you present yourself to the front desk looking like crap, you aren't likely to be allowed in to the campground.

If you brush up against any of the negative stereotypes, chances for entry diminish.

Coach should be clean, busnut should have a fresh shirt and be presentable at the desk.

Laying on the air horn in a dirty tank top and hollerin' "We're here!" likely won't get you admitted...

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline oltrunt

• A fine BCM outting
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
Having her in a tank top probably will help.  The horn?  Not so much.  Jack

Offline Branderson

• Retired Army, 1974 MCI8, 6V92
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:44:17 AM »
I have been following Jcparmley's thread about raising the roof of his MCI 102c3As with interest, but I'm particularly interested in potential problems with insurance and campgrounds. (I didn't want to derail the current discussion on that thread so I figured I start a new one)

I understand it right now, getting insurance for a bus conversion is not all that hard, but does it get hard with a roof raise?  I know that some campgrounds look unfavorably at some bus conversions, do they have a bigger problem with a roof raised franken bus?

I'm not familiar with a franken bus but if it looks like a schoolie then you are going to run into problems with some campgrounds whether you have a raised roof or not.  My roof was raised but you can't tell b/c it was professionally done.  I'm kind of confused about the insurance question b/c to me it shouldn't matter at all whether you have a raised roof or not. 
- Brad

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »
I don't ever recall this exact question being discussed and I doubt it has ever been court tested. I expect the short answer is if you're in an accident and the insurance carrier determines that the raised roof somehow was material to that accident then you won't have insurance. I am however having trouble imagining what circumstances could ever occur that would make a roof raise relevant in an accident investigation.  I guess if you do such a bad job of welding in the extensions that your roof blows off and blinds the school bus behind you that would qualify but otherwise I don't see how it would ever arise.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 01:19:51 PM »
Roofs have been raised for 50 years I never heard this question before, you know people buy buses with a factory roof raise,people that do their own usually look good every now and then you see one and ask wth has happen but rare   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline mmanning

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 01:38:26 PM »
I didn't think there would be an issue, but I really don't know anything about buses; so I thought I would ask. 
8v71 no turbo
Allison HT740-D
My Bus

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 01:46:18 PM »
Might be a problem if you hit a low bridge.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline buswarrior

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 04:20:30 PM »
Don't freakin' ask your insurer...!!!

You do understand that the insurer is NOT your friend?

With enough stupid input from newbies, the entire hobby will get taken out of the game???

For no good underwriting reason, might I add...

Have your confessional in the box at the local church...

Why would you have a confession with the devil insurer?

Amerika, where did you go wrong?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Offline mmanning

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 05:30:09 PM »
I don’t know what you are talking about.  I told my State Farm agent all about my plan to install a retired jet engine and fill the bays with JP8.  He was totally cool with it, but suggested I try Proggresive for better rates.
8v71 no turbo
Allison HT740-D
My Bus

Offline buswarrior

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 05:31:58 PM »
That's the spirit!

But, if the agent didn't ask about the fuel, why did you tell him?

happy coaching!
buswarrior

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 08:20:56 PM »
The insurance agents don't know squat about raising the roofs on coaches. It should not be a subject of discussion when dealing with them. Some coaches are taller than others, and that is all they need to know. As long as you are not creating or harboring a "Frankenbus" with questionable design and appearance, someone should insure you and some outfit should let you in their campground. Just do not refer to your coach as a bus, and BCM should change their name to Coach Conversion Magazine.  8)
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2018, 03:09:53 AM »
That would help.😉
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2018, 07:28:30 AM »
But wouldn't that mean your jet engine wouldn't be insured? That's not good, if it got bumped it would cost a lot to repair. That's what insurance is for right? Anyway don't they usually ask if you have done anything? So you say, "Yeah, lots..." and explain stuff like why you had to use self tapping screws to attach the side panels that were coming off, and that mod for the air bags,  and the generator that overheats and sometimes makes sparks and how you don't understand why nobody makes plumbing joints that don't leak, and... maybe ask if he knows how to keep that diesel smell out of the inside, and who makes the best wood burning stove anyway? You know, the usual stuff.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »
Might be a problem if you hit a low bridge.

Jim

Or if it came off going down the highway and landed atop the motorist behind you  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal