Author Topic: Roof Raised Insurance  (Read 3498 times)

Offline mmanning

Re: Roof Raised Insurance
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2018, 01:52:08 PM »
I suppose if a insurance agent ever got worried you could calm them down by insisting that you will use lots of sticks and staples, just like all the other “high quality” RV’s they insure.
Stewartville, MN (just south of Rochester, 1.5 hours south of Minneapolis)
78’ Silver Eagle Model 05
8v71 no turbo
Allison HT740-D
My Bus

Offline Scott & Heather

• Scott & Heather's buses: MCI-9 & MCI-102
  • MCI-9 & MCI-102
    • Fresh Day Music
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 12:45:14 AM »
Both of our coaches have roof raises. 9”. I know I don’t have the most gorgeous coaches in the world, but I’d hardly call them Frankenbuses. I sold the white one but I can say without a doubt and in response to the other thread on the subject, if you’re considering a roof raise, absolutely do it. It’s a game changer. I’d never ever own a coach without one. For more reasons than my fingers care to type right now.

But no, my insurance company had no idea I raised my roofs and doesn’t care. And no, campgrounds don’t care. Just do it right.
Scott & Heather
1984 MCI 9 6V92-turbo with 9 inch roof raise (SOLD)
1992 MCI 102C3 8v92-turbo with 8 inch roof raise CURRENT HOME
Click link for 900 photos of our 1st bus conversion:
https://goo.gl/photos/GVtNRniG2RBXPuXW9

Offline silversport

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »
My 4106 was raise 7 inch over 25 years ago, has never been a problem, except to tall to lowboy tow. 
1962-GM-4106

Offline Brassman

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 01:30:49 AM »
I think that in the skoolie world now the thing to do do is gut the interior, raise the roof, close it in, and spray foam it. Most don't get that far.

After you take your two thousand dollar bus and do at that work most give up. Franken buses everywhere! And if you want to talk insurance tell them about your roof deck.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 04:49:16 AM »
I don't understand asking the question because the answer is in the policy fine print.  If there is zero mention of modification from stock, the answer is "who cares".  If there is a clause stating that modifications from stock must be disclosed, then if you don't disclose you are committing fraud by asserting under contract to something that isn't true.  If there is a clause that the vehicle can't be modified mechanically from stock, then ditto.  I recall some time ago trying to buy tires for my truck that were a different size from stock, the vendor (a very large national chain) refused quoting insurance regulations - theirs or mine I don't know.  I also recall that some young peoples hot rods (the little import burners) were getting called out for illegal modifications including adding lights to the underside of the vehicle.  But read your policy fine print and ask questions about that....
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2018, 06:45:24 PM »
We're going to try to say this quick without getting too far off thread. We really admire tall raised 40 & 45' coaches. It's like owning a big home which we do, & lots of acrerage to the property lines. BUT we love our original 35' turtle for the places it will go that a bigger rig couldn't think of trying but also are discouraged in it because it won't go places that our class C S&S would go. Catch my drift.. We are getting older but when the bus goes as far as it can, & then the toad goes as far as it can - -we're not as motivated to take the back packs & keep going as we used to be.
Okay let's get back on thread & worry about our recovery if we suffer a loss. Oh by the way, since we retired, we dropped a lot of (comp & collision ( on bus, & boat) so we can spend it on something that's more fun. We've been having trouble downsizing so this is a move to support that strategy if an upset does arrive. Carry on, I fell better now.

Dan & Sandy
North Central Florida
PD4104-129 since 1979
Toads: 2009 Jeep GC Limited 4X4 5.7L Hemi
             2008 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4 4.2L IL Vortec

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal