Author Topic: 6v92 damage, Odessa TX  (Read 2344 times)

Offline aaronjweiss

• mewithoutYou (band site)
6v92 damage, Odessa TX
« on: November 14, 2018, 09:33:02 PM »
Greetings,

Anyone know a good two stroke diesel mechanic in the Odessa/Midland TX area?

I'm on tour with my band in our 1990 MCI 102c3 w/ Detriot 6v92 engine. After a few days of sporadic overheating issues, this morning we noticed coolant spraying out from the purge tank overflow tube with a pitch black oily quality. The oil pressure & temp. were holding and the bus was strong and the oil dipstick looked clean, no bubbles or steam, etc. We drove about 500 more miles like that, then stopped for lunch, shut down the bus, topped off the coolant, and when we started it back up & checked the oil it was frothy. We saw a bit of water dripping from the drain pipe coming from the passenger side of the engine, then a whole bunch coming from the drain pipe on the driver's side. Any guesses as to what we're looking at?

One shop, Stewart & Stevenson, said they could look at Tuesday of next week (they're also $148/hr, but maybe their work is worth this much?). Another shop was even more backed up, said closer to 2 weeks. Another garage said they'd just remove the engine & send it to El Paso to be rebuilt (where apparently the labor's cheaper & they're less busy). We're hoping to minimize our time on tour renting replacement vehicles, and of course find a fair price, so not sure what our best move is. Feeling pretty deflated & unsure what to do next. Any advice here?

Thank you, Aaron
Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA

Offline luvrbus

Re: 6v92 damage, Odessa TX
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 06:13:29 AM »
I have a friend in Midland Tx his name is Marty Golden his shop is next door to the Flying J he is not in the repair business but will know of a 2 stroke person in the area to help you and he is a bus owner.He is in phone book there I changed phones and don't have his number check with him
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:26:57 AM »
There used to be a Shop years ago that worked on the 2 strokes on  West County Road around the 8600 or 8800 block (north) on the West side of the road. They did all the Well Service Rigs and Pumps that ran in the area. Still a lot of them running in the oilfield. Was there a year or so ago when I was out there. I'll see if I can get the address.

Offline muldoonman

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 06:29:32 AM »
Hope this helps,,,,

J and J Engine Service. Odessa Tx.
8621 N County Rd W (F.M. 1882, Odessa, TX 79764
 (432) 367-6902

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 06:03:04 AM »
Did you find help ?

Offline lostagain

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 08:05:55 AM »
Clifford, we met Marty and his wife at the Pahrump rally a couple of years ago. They were in a real nice Eagle. He taught us how to pronounce "yall" properly. He said don't use the apostrophe, just say "yall". He is in the "ol" business, not "oil", lol. He said in Texas they have ol in their hair and gas in their bellies. We enjoyed the time with them and would certainly look them up if going through Midland area.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 08:10:01 AM »
Clifford, we met Marty and his wife at the Pahrump rally a couple of years ago. They were in a real nice Eagle. He taught us how to pronounce "yall" properly. He said don't use the apostrophe, just say "yall". He is in the "ol" business, not "oil", lol. He said in Texas they have ol in their hair and gas in their bellies. We enjoyed the time with them and would certainly look them up if going through Midland area.

JC

yep Marty and I communicate well  ;D he has 3 Eagles he just installed a series 60 in his new build he is working on

Offline aaronjweiss

• mewithoutYou (band site)
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 04:08:20 PM »
I couldn't find a number for Marty---I did get ahold of J & J, but they were 3 weeks backed up, so looks like we're gonna have Stewart and Stevenson look at the bus this Tuesday. Hoping the damage isn't TOO extensive...thanks everyone for your help!

Aaron W.
1990 MCI 102c3
 6V-92TA

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
I couldn't find a number for Marty---I did get ahold of J & J, but they were 3 weeks backed up, so looks like we're gonna have Stewart and Stevenson look at the bus this Tuesday. Hoping the damage isn't TOO extensive...thanks everyone for your help!

I'll get Marty's number for more options for you

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:09:37 PM »
Aaron,check your PM for Marty's number

Offline neoneddy

• Youtube Build Log
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
Hoping you can get out of there without a full rebuild.  Keep us updated.
Raising hell in Elk River, MN

1982 MCI MC9

6V92 / 4 Speed Auto (HT740) Video Build Log - Bus Conversion & RV Solar company we now started thanks to our Bus

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2018, 07:00:05 AM »
Hoping you can get out of there without a full rebuild.  Keep us updated.

Sounds like he has a inframe in his future with new heads @ S&S that will be a 15 to 20k lick

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 07:15:25 AM »
He needs to find out why it sporadically overheated before the engine chocked.  Cooing system investigation must be on the list also.

David

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal