Author Topic: Is it legal to drive a DL3 without the back bumper?  (Read 12811 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Is it legal to drive a DL3 without the back bumper?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2018, 06:37:28 AM »
If you just purchased the bus most places don't care if you have plates are not if you are going to build a rv,I driven buses from point A to B many of times with no plates.I had more problems with mine than I do most. it was titled as a RV then changed to commercial plates DOT with all the marbles, I had to go through another inspection to change back to a RV plate   
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline richard5933

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2018, 06:45:53 AM »
Insurance

Even if they are going to transport it to you, you should be sure to have it insured before it is moved. Once the bus is yours, then you are the one with a potential loss if something should go wrong along the way.

When we bought our first bus there was over a month in time between buying it and me going to pick it up and take it home. I called and arranged insurance immediately, even for the time before I physically took possession of it.

I did this to protect against any damage to the bus. But more importantly I did this to provide liability in the event that someone was injured, even with the bus sitting still. Things happen with no way to predict or prevent them. Even more so when the bus is not in your possession. If you are the owner, then you're on the hook if there are any problems.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 06:56:18 AM »
I doubt that this outfit took this bus to a Detroit Dealer since they are big enough to have their own service facility, and chances are they are not going to deliver it unless it is properly titled and plated with one of their employees driving it across state lines as a commercial activity. If Jim picked it up in person he would need insurance coverage on a proposed RV that has not been changed yet, and he would still be running the gauntlet of several Northeast States that can be severe (you would have to pass through New York). As Cliff said, he has rolled the dice. There was no mention of service records with the bus, which would be helpful.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2018, 07:22:17 AM »
Insurance

Even if they are going to transport it to you, you should be sure to have it insured before it is moved. Once the bus is yours, then you are the one with a potential loss if something should go wrong along the way.

When we bought our first bus there was over a month in time between buying it and me going to pick it up and take it home. I called and arranged insurance immediately, even for the time before I physically took possession of it.

I did this to protect against any damage to the bus. But more importantly I did this to provide liability in the event that someone was injured, even with the bus sitting still. Things happen with no way to predict or prevent them. Even more so when the bus is not in your possession. If you are the owner, then you're on the hook if there are any problems.

If you have the right policy it covers you for transportation of a a vehicle you just purchased for 30 days mine does and she writes a binder to cover it for damages lol but I don't have Progressive.If they deliver the bus the seller is responsible for the insurance till it is delivered not Jim

Offline richard5933

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2018, 07:48:51 AM »

...If they deliver the bus the seller is responsible for the insurance till it is delivered not Jim

Technically you may be correct, but if there is an 'incident' or if someone is injured the attorneys are going after anyone and everyone involved. I've also seen purchase contracts from dealers that specifically mention they have no liability or coverage on the vehicle once the vehicle is sold (before delivery).

Easy enough to get ones @$$ covered, especially if he has a policy like you've mentioned.
Richard

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 08:01:28 AM »
Technically you may be correct, but if there is an 'incident' or if someone is injured the attorneys are going after anyone and everyone involved. I've also seen purchase contracts from dealers that specifically mention they have no liability or coverage on the vehicle once the vehicle is sold (before delivery).

Easy enough to get ones @$$ covered, especially if he has a policy like you've mentioned.

If the seller delivers he carries the insurance Jim has no idea what the guys name is to list him as a driver on his policy.I have a friend that delivers new KW and PeterBuilt trucks all over the US the insurance is on him till it reaches a dealer or company and he hands over the paper work and keys

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 10:02:04 AM »
I suspect that would have to be the case, even though this company often uses a contractor and will in this case. They aren't going to leave themselves open that way. I'm pretty sure KY has the 30 day rider for new purchases as well.

I think the only real question would be in the case where a breakdown occurred during delivery. Then who's responsibility is that? Mine because title has been transferred (assuming that has occurred yet), mine because the purchase price has been tendered (Prior to delivery but timing of the delivery charge is somewhat negotiable), or theirs because technically the bus is still in their possession and delivery of the goods as agreed upon has not been made? Good valid arguments can be made for each perspective. I don't honestly believe we will have to find out.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline Jim Blackwood

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »
On re-titling as an RV, if it comes down to it I can try that in no less than two states and perhaps as many as six or even more. I do have friends who will look out for me. So one way or another that is going to happen. How much time and trouble it will take may be another question, but I have the time and I'm well acquainted with trouble.

Jim

Offline Jim Blackwood

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 03:29:22 PM »
I have several photos from under the bus but I don't have much of a clue what to look for to tell if it has tag axle steering or which version of it. The photos don't show a wide field either, so it's even tough to tell which axle is being viewed. What should I be looking for?

Jim

Offline windtrader

« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2018, 07:56:28 PM »
My understanding of the 30 day rule is current coverage is applied to new vehicle. In the case of the new vehicle being one that has no existing coverage, that rules likely does not apply. For example, you may have liability only coverage on cars, go out and buy a new car, and expect it to have full coverage. No go joe. The current coverage but no automatic increases to coverage just cause you bought a new car.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2018, 03:49:25 AM »
My understanding of the 30 day rule is current coverage is applied to new vehicle. In the case of the new vehicle being one that has no existing coverage, that rules likely does not apply. For example, you may have liability only coverage on cars, go out and buy a new car, and expect it to have full coverage. No go joe. The current coverage but no automatic increases to coverage just cause you bought a new car.

depends on the insurance co and the agent lol I have had the same agent long before the internet was around,I still have automatic coverage for a rental car collision and liability.Good insurance co's cover the person not the vehichle 

Offline richard5933

« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2018, 04:10:04 AM »
Another one of those questions where it's nice to have an agent that's familiar with your particular situation. A simple phone call to our agent and I'd have answers to questions like this. Even though I believe I have coverage on new vehicles, I still call each time I'm looking to buy a vehicle to be sure nothing has changed in the policy or in what they require of me.

I do remember buying a vehicle out of state once, and there they required that I provide proof of insurance on THAT vehicle before they could process the paperwork for me to get temporary plates to drive away.

Since a bus is without a doubt much different from an auto, this is something I'd want to verify before assuming coverage was present. Also, since the vehicle still has seats and is not technically a motor home, it might be a good idea to ask the insurance agent if getting MH plates is enough for them to write the policy as a MH, or if underwriting will require bus coverage until the conversion is physically made. They may see the presence of seats in the bus as an added liability and not be so willing to provide coverage as a motor home, but rather insist on a commercial policy. In that case the automatic coverage, if present on the policy, would probably not apply.
Richard

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2018, 04:36:33 AM »
That why you have a agent he looks out for you and you pay for it,no way would I buy insurance from the internet or over the phone lol and if they advertise on TV it makes me leery too.I set down with my agent every year and we go over our coverage to get the best bang for the buck with a good insurance co   

Offline Jim Blackwood

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »
The seller has told me that it will be covered by his insurance and with his tags on it until it is delivered. Once it gets here the first thing will be to remove all the seats and that should be finished in a couple of hours. Then the next trip it makes might be to Elkhart, about a 4-1/2 hr trip. Unless I don't have tags on it by then. I've heard there are a lot of surplus RV parts there. I'm thinking stove, refrigerator, shower, toilet, maybe some tanks or genset, maybe even an inverter/charger. Stow all that and bring it back. But before I do that I want to do some mechanical inspections. Brakes, bull gear, oil analysis, things of that nature.

That should get me started.

Jim

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2018, 08:39:01 AM »
Once it gets here the first thing will be to remove all the seats and that should be finished in a couple of hours.
Jim

Only if you have a half dozen helpers. It will take longer than you think for everything you do on a bus. It always goes quicker in the mind, but reality screws the dream up.  ???
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal