Author Topic: Is it legal to drive a DL3 without the back bumper?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Maker of cool things
  • 1996 MCI 102DL3
Re: Is it legal to drive a DL3 without the back bumper?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2018, 11:45:34 AM »
Good to know.
We tentatively have a deal, pending the cause for the bumper removal. He thinks it's in good shape, we'll see. They are going to put it back on the bus and check it out to make sure it is roadworthy for the trip down. I've inquired as to if and how much for them to to ferry it down here, I feel that would remove some of the concerns and probably be worth the tariff. Should streamline the paperwork a little too. Hope to hear back today some time.

I'm much more excited about this than the money I'm spending justifies. Not sure why that is exactly but it sure is nerve wracking waiting on their next response.

Jim
Information, without Knowledge, is useless.

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Maker of cool things
  • 1996 MCI 102DL3
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 03:35:21 PM »
Looks like we've got a deal.

Jim

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2018, 03:58:33 PM »
That is exciting!

Love the D buses.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline tuccitown

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2018, 04:02:05 PM »
ˊ ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'F'¯'''''L ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'[``…'¾`` ``` ``` ``` ```
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'[```…ʹ[` ` ` ` ``` ``` ```
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `#````ˆ[```` ``` ``` ``` ``
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `'#``…``'[`… ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` `
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` #…`````'F`` ` ` ` `` ``` ```
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ƒ¯```````'[__` ` ` ` ` ` ` ``` ``
` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ƒ¯````````ʹ¯¯¯¯''''''''''''¯¯¯¯¯¯™[ `
gµµµµµµµµµµµµµµ_µ™`````````````````````````'# `
'₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫F¯…`````````````````````` ` ²q[¯ ` `
ʹ₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫¾````````````````````````````ʹ} … `
›₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫#`````````````````````````__µr… ` `
³₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫…`````````````````````````¯[ … ` `
`₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫$``````````````````````````_F … ` `
`]₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫₫#````````````````````````ʹ''''[… … ` `
`'₫₫₫₫₫₫₫F''''']₫#___`````````````````````` '# … ` `
…₫₫₫₫₫₫₫bµ₫₫₫₫$¯''''¹uuuuuɷuɷuɷuɷuɷuɷµ#¯ ` ` ` ` `
…'''''''™''''™'''™''''™™ … … ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` … … ` ` `
` … ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` … ` … ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` ` … ` ` ` ` `.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1979 GMC H8H649-053 Conversion in progress.
1955 GM PD 4501-377 Converted.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline windtrader

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »
At long last - Congrats!!
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline richard5933

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
Congratulation! Safe travels!
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Current Bus)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
My bus never had a rear bumper from the day I bought it. 18 years and 85,000 miles and counting, never a problem. I actually have one lined up, but have to make a trip to MT to get it. One of these years.
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline dtcerrato

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2018, 07:04:22 PM »
Welcome to the madness...
Dan & Sandy
PD4104-129 since 1979

Offline lostagain

• MC5C
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2018, 09:00:36 PM »
Looks good! You don't even have to paint it.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740

Offline sledhead

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2018, 04:05:16 AM »
Congrats!

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp cat
 home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Maker of cool things
  • 1996 MCI 102DL3
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2018, 06:13:23 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments! I feel like a kid in a candy store. Pretty uncommon for a guy my age, I can tell you.
I'm guessing all y'all want to hear a little about it. First, I met my cost target. I'm having the seller deliver the bus, as that simplifies and streamlines the process. Not cheap but under $1500 to get it here from Connecticut. I've asked them to transfer title as an RV instead of a commercial vehicle and hope that will deal with that not so small issue. Since they do a regular trade in vehicles hopefully that will be easy for them. (They maintain a fleet of 1500 vehicles. DATTCO) It also means it will arrive in driveable condition. No small consideration.

First, the bumper question since that is the title of this thread. Story is, the bus was replaced with a newer model and was being used as a training vehicle when one of their regular buses suddenly needed a rear bumper. So they snagged this one. The damaged one was repairable so it was fixed and will be reinstalled on this bus. I suppose if that isn't good enough for me I can scrounge a replacement.

They used the bus under contract as transport for a band or group of musicians exclusively but did not say if the bus was bought new or used for that purpose. I guess I should ask but I'm not sure it makes any difference. Anyway, there is no lavatory and I'll just have to look and see if there ever was one. That may not make any difference either, depending on how the floor was patched, but I did notice that rear window looks a shade odd. A number of the seats are not there, some space at the rear and also the front was used to store instruments and there are a number of cheap cabinets on board. It looks like all the overhead bins are intact. Some sort of backdrop cloth is draped over the rear bulkhead and there is a clothing rack. Mileage is 595K. There is some rust in the engine compartment, which will need some attention but hasn't gone too far from the photos. A little rust on the airbag stanchions. I only had one photo but it looked like mainly surface rust. It's a '96 model, with the B500 transmission, not sure which engine but it's a 60 series. Tires have over 10/32 tread (up to 17/32), not sure of the sidewalls or age.

I'm pretty happy with the color. It's a lot of red but I guess I could always add some graphics if it's too much. It could probably use a fresh coat of clear and there looks to be some staining down the side in a couple spots. Looks like there's a small scuff at the bumper/entry door. Plenty good enough for now.

It'll be 2-3 weeks before it is delivered. Then out come the seats. The plan is to evaluate then, possibly retain the overhead bins, and possibly plan a trip to Elkhart to shop for surplus items to outfit the bus. The floor may be sound as it may not have gotten the daily mopdown treatment. If so I plan to find a suitable floor covering and disturb what's already there as little as possible. Ditto for the roof and side walls. Let the cabinetry cover the existing windows on the inside and maybe use day/night shades for the rest. Beyond that is "read and run" as we used to say in the whitewater rafting trade. Learn as you go. Lay out the floorplan with masking tape and begin making it liveable. I see three options for tanks. Buy them, make them, or possibly the best option, convert some stainless I have on hand to the purpose. That could be a sweet setup and possibly also the least expensive. I should be able to cut down an existing tank to make at least 2 and maybe part of a third. Initially I'm thinking 200/150/50 gal but I'll have to do some measuring and figuring. The charger/inverter will be an interesting challenge and I might do a homegrown version. HF starter/chargers have the basic ingredients and can be added on to, it's not that complex. And I haven't forgotten about the backpack toad idea either. Not an easy solution, but nothing worthwhile ever is.

Jim

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Maker of cool things
  • 1996 MCI 102DL3
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2018, 06:25:29 AM »
Tuccitown, I'm curious. What was that graphic supposed to be?

Jim

Offline luvrbus

• Gold Donor
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2018, 06:35:14 AM »
Enjoy and take care of the rust or the air bags will be through the floor ,the Alcoa's and wheels studs are worth 1/2 of what you paid for the bus,? the tag a follow a long steering or stationary   
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:36:57 AM by luvrbus »
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2018, 06:42:53 AM »
Tuccitown, I'm curious. What was that graphic supposed to be?

Jim

I wondered too, looking on my phone. It shows up properly on a computer screen.

Big thumbs up!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Maker of cool things
  • 1996 MCI 102DL3
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2018, 06:53:38 AM »
Oh, right! That's pretty cool.

No clue what tag axle it is, or much else about the bus really. I suspect some of you like BW could tell me a lot about it. Like, did it come equipped with leveling or kneeling for instance. Plenty of exploring to do once it gets here.

I'm fortunate to have been around my brother a lot, who has owned and operated a Pete for a few decades now. Same engine too, that's a plus. I think he's on his 3rd or 4th engine by now. While I don't have all the big wrenches I might need, I know where to get them, and the size doesn't scare me.

Depending on just how much rust is actually there, the airbag stanchions may or may not need to be disturbed. Hoping not, but close inspection will tell. I do have welders. I can weld overhead if need be. But I'd rather not.

Jim