Author Topic: Swinging door handle disconnected  (Read 1174 times)

Offline tyreman

• 1982 MC9 8V71
Swinging door handle disconnected
« on: December 10, 2018, 08:47:50 AM »
(1982 MC9) Well the door handle that opens and closes the front door apparently just came lose as I was attempting to close door this weekend. How do you get underneath the dash to investigate what came off? I noticed it was operating intermittently weird, not latching closed securely once or twice but nothing consistent. Then right before it let go it made a strange noise and wouldn't close completely then heard something fall behind dash. Now door is completely free floating and needs to be secured by the dead bolt to keep closed ...heavy sigh... ???   

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Re: Swinging door handle disconnected
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 09:03:12 AM »
Remove all the panels on the vertical surfaces of the dash front, and the covering over the door arm/hinge.

If you're lucky, one of the bolts/pins has dropped out of the linkage.

Some of the covers over the defroster motors and duct work can be removed...

A mirror and a flashlight are important tools for searching for the bits that dropped down "behind there".

Be very careful that your fingers don't get crushed while working on this. An assistant or the wind moves the door at the wrong time and you loose a finger.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline tyreman

• 1982 MC9 8V71
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 10:18:10 AM »
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping for something a little less intrusive but this thing isn't a F100 pick-up. And I just had to have a coach!   :o

Offline edvanland

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:49:08 AM »
Welcome to the world of Lord what have I got myself into. Love it, good luck
Ed Van
MCI 7
Cornville, AZ

Offline tyreman

• 1982 MC9 8V71
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 06:48:24 AM »
Well it's a Christmas miracle, I took the middle panel out with the two snap screws, vacuumed the debris of 36 years out and found all the hardware except one thin washer (that I believe wasn't there to begin with and caused it to back off) after looking at it several minutes I figured how to reassemble it. It did have a spring of some type that was laying there broken too but I couldn't see where it should reattach and it doesn't seem to affect the operation as the door acts like it did before.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal