Author Topic: Fuel Filter With Internal Check Valve  (Read 363 times)

Offline Lin

• Silver Donor
  • 1965 MC-5a
Fuel Filter With Internal Check Valve
« on: January 11, 2019, 10:50:58 AM »
My generator has been annoyingly difficult to start after sitting idle for a while.  I guessed that the fuel was draining back to the tank and maybe a check valve was needed. I removed the existing inline fuel filter and found that it did have an internal check valve that had ceased to function.  I have been looking for a replacement but can not find any.  I know I can just get an easily available inline filter and a separate check valve but wondered if anyone knew of a unit with both.

I did find a couple of industrial ones that were very expensive.  The one I have looks just like a Wix 33033 but Wix says they do not have any with a check valve.

You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Gary Hatt - Publisher BCM

• Publisher - BCM
  • Help Team
    • Bus Conversion Magazine
Re: Fuel Filter With Internal Check Valve
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 11:55:13 AM »
Call Dick Wright at http://wricointernational.com/ and he will tell you what you need.  I don't think he stocks them but I was having the same problem until I replaced the fuel pump on my Series 60 and was going to get one for myself. I solved my problem so I no longer need one.  Dick's number is (541) 744 - 4333  Right now he is packing to get read to travel to Indio for the winter so he won't have much time to chat.

Gary
1967 Eagle with Series 60 Power Plant
Gary@BusConversions.com

Offline Lin

• Silver Donor
  • 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
I called him.  He said he has not seen one like I have for a very long time and I am best going with separate check valve.  Thanks

Online sledhead

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 01:01:13 PM »
if you have the space I would go with separate units that way the filter would be easier and cheaper to replace and you should not need to worry about the check valve for a long time

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline chessie4905

• Platinum Donor
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 02:08:01 PM »
If it were me, I'd keep them separarte. Otherwise, every time you look for a fuel filter, you have to make sure it has the built in checkvalve.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Lin

• Silver Donor
  • 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »
Point taken.  If it were a commonly available item, it would be different, but hoping to find an NOS unit in a pharaoh's tomb is too much to hope for.

Offline RichardEntrekin

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 06:11:01 PM »
Or you could use a lift pump with a check valve in it. Very common. It solved my hard to start issue on the genset.
Richard Entrekin
99 Newell, Detroit S 60
Subaru Outback toad
Inverness, Fl

Often wrong, but seldom in doubt

Offline Lin

• Silver Donor
  • 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 10:11:18 AM »
Richard, if the check valve does not solve it, maybe the fuel pump itself is a problem.  I have thought about putting an electric fuel pump inline if that is the case depending on how difficult it is to get an actual replacement pump.  The only thing about that is finding the right power supply for the pump, and finding a pump with low enough pressure.  Something I saw on the web said that it should be less than 2 psi.  I would have to do further research to see if that is accurate.

Offline Geoff

• Geoff & Sherry's RTS Conversion Pics
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »
A 4-6 psi electric fuel pump is what I use.  Automotive stores sell a universal low pressure pump.
Geoff
'82 RTS AZ

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-) 1996 MCI 102DL3
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »
I use a low pressure pump on things like the forklift and the mower, (both diesel) and it works well to lift the fuel to the injector pump. Most injector pumps have a check on the fuel return that will pop at a preset pressure so it does no harm to exceed that. The common generic pumps I've seen are rated 2-4psi and 5-9psi. I like the higher rated pumps for most things.

Jim
Information, without Knowledge, is useless.