Author Topic: First Time Greasing  (Read 4728 times)

Offline GnarlyBus

First Time Greasing
« on: May 04, 2019, 01:01:05 AM »
Any tips for someone who's never greased a bus before?

My big question: How many tubes could I need?

I'm thinking of ordering Valvoline Synthetic Moly fortified grease online for like $6 each. I've had the bus for 4 years and its greasing history is unknown. Paid a mechanic to grease it (even gave them the map from the manual!) and upon later inspection they did a handful of zerks on the steer axle and that's it. :(

How many tubes of grease? I've read that some people shove like 15 tubes into their tag axles?!
1984 MC-9 w/ 6v92TA & Allison 740
Oregon Summers & Arizona Winters
Full-Time since 2015

Offline chessie4905

Re: First Time Greasing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 03:39:35 AM »
$6 each? I buy a dozen to start. You don't want to run out in middle of job. Jack up each side of front axle before greasing kingpins. Wipe off each grease fitting with a rag before applying grease. Some will probably need dried buildup scraped away with a small screwdriver first. Mke sure great is going INTO fitting, instead of all around it. Be sure the connector on end of grease gun goes on securely. Frequently, dirt gets into the outlet ad it won't keep from leaking grease. Most ends are able to be disassembled, cleaned, and little fingers reversed if worn excessively. An outfit makes and end that securely clips on to end of fitting with a release lever to remove. I recently got one, but haven't tried it out yet.

https://locknlube.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8LTmBRBCEiwAbhh-6O2uj_8YoQdfwRcW1FDUD0V_dF24u0VVmL9ND3vLcbFUlmFs9lh6WBoClqgQAvD_BwE
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline sledhead

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 04:53:56 AM »
you might want to get a air grease gun . that is what I use and when I first greased my mci the regular pump grease gun would not penetrate the old dried out grease . then I bought a cheap air grease gun and after I used it on the nipples a few times I could go back to the pump gun

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/pneumatic-grease-gun/A-p4270328e

I use a 24" rubber hose line on mine to get into the tite places

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 05:19:19 AM »
All good advise.

HUGE support for proudly buying a powered grease gun, pneumatic or cordless, whatever your budget will withstand.

Nobody greases properly when they get tired...

Ditto on putting a longer hose on it, right there in the store where the grease guns are, there are proper high pressure extension hoses and couplers. It is not uncommon to have to stretch your arm way into there, and there's no room for the gun. Again, the more contortions, the more fatigue, the sooner your greasing standards start slipping...

Check the tag axles, they often have a different larger fitting, you'll need to source one of those from an industrial supplier, civilian sources won't know what it is. Remove the fitting and take it with you to get the match.

Buy LOTS of grease, you'll use it next time, and store it properly, if you didn't know, tubes standing up, with the sealed end down, plastic cap end up. Lying on their side, they start leaking out and make a mess.

And it isn't a bad thing if it takes two days... there is a lot of time and physicality to get the bus into the air, and then all this crawling around and stretching and pushing, then the bus is still in the air and all that stuff has to be gathered up and put away... fatigue makes mistakes... going back fresh tomorrow isn't a bad thing... or the day after that...

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Utahclaimjumper

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 05:24:25 AM »

Check your manual,, various areas take different types of grease. This is one area that one size does not fit averything.>>>Dan
Utclmjmpr  (rufcmpn)
 EX 4106 (presently SOB)
Cedar City, Ut.
 72 VW Baja towed

Offline richard5933

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 05:26:10 AM »
If you use a powered grease gun, be aware that there are certain fittings which still need to be done with a hand-pumped gun (or with extreme caution). On my bus things like the speedo drive on the transmission and a few remote zerk fittings all have to be done by hand. The remote fittings especially - I found a huge mound of grease under the end of one where the remote extension tube had ruptured. I'm guessing there was a restriction in the flow where the extension tube connected to the original zerk location, and the powered gun just kept pushing the grease through.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 05:32:36 AM »
invest the 20 bucks in locking coupler for the grease gun they are well worth it and buy a good grease gun like a Lincoln plus a box of zerts .Be safe stay out of harms ways you dealing with 10,000 lbs of pressure , when I work for Cat a friend of mine was killed by a grease zert when he removed one under pressure
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 05:37:34 AM »
invest the 20 bucks in locking coupler for the grease gun they are well worth it and buy a good grease gun like a Lincoln plus a box of zerts

And don't buy the zerts/zerks/fittings at the cheapy store, they don't go into anything, threads are crap, rust badly very soon...

These aren't a place to save pennies, buy good ones from industrial grade supplier/name brand.

Yes, I love my Lincoln pneumatic too, if it fits the busnut budget, just do it.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 05:44:40 AM »
Yep HF grease zerts/zerks suck and good ones are not cheap @ a buck ea

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 05:47:33 AM »
Didn't think I'd be that impressed with a cordless battery powered grease gun until I got one as a present. (Milwaulkee brand) But it sure makes a chore much easier. No longer any need for a third hand. Those locking couplers look good too, That's going on the list. I don't know how the cordless gun compares to air powered for sheer pressure, probably not as good. But it's way more portable.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2019, 06:00:23 AM »
You will love the Locking coupler I use the 2 handle type I like it better than the 1 lever for releasing

Offline DoubleEagle

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 07:17:42 AM »
The locking coupler I use is a South African design that was from either Northern Tool or Gemplers with one release lever. I have not seen a 2 handle type. Sounds even better, who makes it? One thing is for sure, a locking coupler is highly desirable.
Walter
Dayton, Ohio
1975 Silvereagle Model 05, 8V71, 4 speed Spicer
1982 Eagle Model 10, 6V92, 5 speed Spicer
1984 Eagle Model 10, 6V92 w/Jacobs, Allison HT740
1994 Eagle Model 15-45, Series 60 w/Jacobs, HT746

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 07:20:50 AM »
The locking coupler I use is a South African design that was from either Northern Tool or Gemplers with one release lever. I have not seen a 2 handle type. Sounds even better, who makes it? One thing is for sure, a locking coupler is highly desirable.

Lock/Lube $29.00,I have one of the XL ( extra long) I like real well too 

Offline GnarlyBus

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2019, 10:52:58 AM »
Very helpful tips!

I'm grabbing one of the Milwaukee M12 Cordless Grease Guns and adding a Lock Lube. The YouTube videos sold me on those.

I guess I'll get 20 tubes to get started.
1984 MC-9 w/ 6v92TA & Allison 740
Oregon Summers & Arizona Winters
Full-Time since 2015

Offline lostagain

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2019, 12:51:56 PM »
If you are greasing regularly, it doesn't take that much grease. I do mine every time I come home from a major trip, like South, and it only takes less than 2 tubes. That's only a couple of pump strokes per fitting. Oh and I grease the drive shaft U joints more often than that. If you've seen a drive shaft fly off because of dried out U joints, you'll want to keep it greased.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal