Author Topic: Spot Free rinse for washing coach  (Read 3526 times)

Offline richard5933

Re: Spot Free rinse for washing coach
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 05:41:49 PM »
The newer softeners like Apex use ground coconut shells and Charcoal, no salt. People with bad hearts should not use salt based softeners. :)

Don't you mean people on salt-restricted diets?

Not that much salt actually makes into the water - it's not actually added to the water at all directly, it's used to cycle the resin beads.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 05:44:00 PM »
Nope Also for people with bad hearts. That is what the Doctor told my buddy that just had two stents of 4 put in.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/is-my-water-softener-raising-my-blood-pressure-1763997
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline richard5933

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 06:02:41 PM »
No - I got what you meant. Someone who has been told to stay away from salt because of things like high-blood pressure should do so.

What I meant was that a generic term like 'bad heart' can mean so many things, and not all of them are at all related to salt or high blood pressure.
Richard

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »
Yes we agree in this case I should have said. But there is Sodium also which after filtering and before regeneration that is added to the water through the softening process. Yes it suspends the resin beads as it takes out Calcium and Magnesium until it is slowly used up and has to be added to it is expelled through the process in the water system. And less sodium for anyone is a good thing IMO.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 06:10:55 PM »
Yes we agree in this case I should have said. But there is Sodium also which after filtering and before regeneration that is added to the water through the softening process. Yes it suspends the resin beads as it takes out Calcium and Magnesium until it is slowly used up and has to be added to it is expelled through the process in the water system. And less sodium for anyone is a good thing IMO.

I don't drink soften water that crap is salty tasting
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Van

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 06:45:29 PM »
De-Ionized water I heard works well. I see over on the POG FB page Some have made portable units for the coach for a spot free rinse. It is what my mobile guy uses, no towel drying involved cept for the glass.
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 09:54:29 PM »
Clifford I agree and would not have the sodium based for that reason. The ranch just got one that uses the coconut shells instead of the salt and you don't taste anything but water. It even takes out rust and cleans the system of the calcium that has built up over the years. It took me 3 hours to plumb it into the main system. There are 5 filters in the system. Water taste good like water, lol
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:12 AM »
Never liked softened water. Always felt like you didn't  get all the soap off in the shower. One could plumb it to just the hot water taps to avoid consumption. I can see it's  necessity in a boiler system.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline richard5933

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2019, 04:50:22 AM »
Never liked softened water. Always felt like you didn't  get all the soap off in the shower. One could plumb it to just the hot water taps to avoid consumption. I can see it's  necessity in a boiler system.

Live in an area with truly hard water and you'll see the necessity in ALL systems. Before we had the softener, it was a monthly routine to de-calc all the faucet aerators, all the shower heads, and most other plumbing fixtures. White clothing looked gray, shower/tub nearly impossible to clean without strong chemicals, etc, etc, etc. Hot water heaters only lasted a few years, and I never knew if a shut-off valve would function after a few months due to build up.

The small amount of salt being added back to the water in a softener is minuscule in comparison to using one box of packaged soup mix. You just have to adjust the amount of salt in other areas if that is a concern.
Richard

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2019, 09:56:14 AM »
We have hard water too. Lots and lots of limestone around here. Just boil it longer to soften it. Water softener salt is just another drain on the wallet. What happens to the brine when flushing it?
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2019, 10:39:31 AM »
We have a settling  tank, Kenetico system with a extra iron out unit the water is still nasty,the dogs won't even drink it, our water table is 13 ft and is fed by the Colorado River lol makes you wonder what flows in the Colorado.My well is 160 ft deep and I have tried moving the pump up and down looking for better water for 15 years with no luck 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline GM Junky

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
There are a myriad of ways to do this but this was my cheap janky redneck way. Enjoy. Summer boredom is setting in.

I have a 40 foot tour bus, Ford Expedition extended length, a 23 foot Rockwood Roo camper and my golf cart. That’s a lot of real estate to wash. I was tired of paying $80 for my bus to be washed at blue beacon, and the truck washes were getting expensive too. I don’t mind washing my toys every now and then by hand at home but the spot free rinse aspect was something I couldn’t get around and I couldn’t ever dry them before they self dried and the spots settled in.

Solution:
I went to Walmart and bought a 5 gallon water cooler jug. Filled it with the reverse osmosis water that Wal-Mart sells at their water machine and brought it home and strapped it to my cart. I took a 12 volt pump I had lying around and plumbed a vinyl hose on the intake end, popped that down into the jug and plumbed a garden hose to the outlet end of the pump. I took a hose sprayer I had in my toolbox and drilled a teeny weeny hole in the end so that when I pulled the trigger it would just mist out of the hole. I wired the pump directly to the golf cart battery (temporary setup) and now when I wash my toys, I do one section at a time and rinse it with my spot free RO water. The cost to fill the jug at Walmart is $1.95.  So for less than $2 I can wash my toys and rinse them spot free now. 5 gallons rinsed by bus and my trailer.

Improvements:
I need to get a proper misting head from a garden sprayer because my drilled hole mod leaks a lot of water down my arm and wastes it. A lot. I’ve used a garden sprayer to rinse my Bus in the past and I could do the entire bus with 2 gallons of water so I’m wasting a lot with this setup. I’ll fix this shortly.

I would like to wire up the pump with a fuse and  a switch on the back somewhere to turn it on and off. Pump has a pressure switch that kills it when pressure is reached but when I’m not using the system I just want to turn off power to it.

I made a ghetto metal strap/bolt setup to hold the throttle pedal to keep the cart idling so I didn’t kill the battery. I ran this setup for well over an hour and it worked perfectly. But I’d like to actually build some sort of pull cable for idling that goes directly to the carb so that I can still set the parking brake if I’m ever not on level ground.

I have a harbor freight retractable 50’ water/air hose that I think I’ll install for easier hose handling.

I know this is a janky setup, but I thought I’d just throw it out there. Summer boredom project I suppose. Worked good though. Short video at the bottom of this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EitD-SaNNP8

Try using "Jet dry" automatic dishwasher stuff or I believe it's called something else, that works well too.

Offline TomC

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2019, 09:49:36 PM »
We have the hardest water here. I just use Dawn dishwashing soap and with the sheathing action, no water spots appear. Dawn is what professional window washers use too because of this. Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal