Author Topic: MCI Removing the Lav  (Read 5116 times)

Offline Aviator

• With enough thrust, Pigs fly just fine
MCI Removing the Lav
« on: February 19, 2007, 07:33:58 PM »
Hi All

We are currently looking for an MCI ( -9 -12 or A3) to convert and we are planning our work flow.  How hard is it to strip out the Lav and more importantly, the lav holding tan?  Does the tank have to come out through the bottom via the engine bay, or can you remove some floor and pull it up through the top??  My dad is a retired -Hound supervisor and they never had to get them out so he's not much help in the matter.   ::) (they just fixed leaks while they were in the bus)

Thanks

Larry
Larry
1992 MCI 102C3
Northwest Indiana

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: MCI Removing the Lav
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 07:27:21 AM »
Hi Larry,

Welcome!

The MCI lav's are a difficult task for sure... The Lav itself is not so bad to remove. Just alot of screws and the flooring

may be a challange. The truely hard part is to remove the tank. The tank is supended from underneath the lav

in the engine bay. You will need alot of sawzall blades to cut the stainless steel straps and they are hard to get to.

It took 2 of us almost one full day to remove the tank......Yea, Lots of cursing that day. "It's a Shi**y Job"

Let us know when you are ready and we can coach you through it.

Good luck with your purchace!

Nick Badame-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Tin Lizzy

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 07:36:11 AM »
Took me about 4 days of part time hard work by myself to get that sucker out!!!!
They built those bathrooms bomb proof for sure. The tank was indeed the hardest part. There is a few layers covering the tank and the straps were hard to find. tight space to work in didn't help either.
I was sooooo happy that the bathroom had not been used for a long time and the tank etc was bone dry. The base for the walls etc were tough too.
I think I took a skill saw to the floor to get it out finally.
Harry
Tin Lizzy
1972 MC 7
Calgary, Alberta

Offline ChuckMC9

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:54:03 AM »
OK, it ain't that hard. I was scratching my head and cussin until I posted asking for some help over on BNO. The gentlemen talked me through it - once I had the experts' help it came out in a jiffy. The secret is the two mystery bolts that aren't at all immediately obvious. It does come out through the streetside ER panel. It is a dirty job, but really, in the overall scheme of building a conversion it really plays a small role.

If/when you get ready, just repost and we'll guide you through it.

We can also share a tip on the floorpan removal inside the RR.

Good luck with your search!

Offline Jerry32

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:52:11 PM »
ChuckMC9   I'll Remember  you when I get mine home and need to pull the lav.   Jerry
1988 MCI 102A3 8V92TA 740

JerryH

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 06:23:07 PM »
The lav interior wasn't that tough to remove.
The tank below was more difficult, but once I figured it out ... it went (somewhat) quickly -- all things being equal. 

But nonetheless, it was the nastiest process of the demo of the interior.  Have your latex gloves and dust mask handy (in general) ... but especially for the restroom removal.

Good luck.
Jerry H.

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 06:49:33 PM »
Hi Larry, Welcome to the 'bussin world!
FWIW, get one of the ex-NJTs and you don't have to dink with restroom removal.   
There are a good many coaches used for shuttle and commuter routes that didn't have restrooms. 
Finding a restroomless bus may be tedious...?
If you buy from a dealer, they'll often remove the RR for a fee.  May be worth what they charge? 
Jerry, you are going to need that restroom during your trip back to the Left Coast!  You found any co-pilots yet?   May I volunteer Kyle and Jon since they already have firsthand experience driving your bus!  ;)
Cheers, JR

JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal