Author Topic: Relocating Wabesto  (Read 11500 times)

Offline Jcparmley

Re: Relocating Wabesto
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2019, 09:34:23 AM »
What type of thermostat were these hooked up to?  That I think is the route to go as each room and bay can have independent control. 

All it takes when using a diesel fired heating system are the small heat exchangers less work and takes less space than ducts.I had those in each bay of my Eagle and the fans have very little draw plus mine had a thermostat for each bay,this is what I use they come in all kinds of configuration's 1 to 3 fans .I have a dozen or more of these I going dispose of when I clean the shop out this winter   
1989 MCI 102c3 6v92TA Mechanical

Offline richard5933

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2019, 09:50:35 AM »
What type of thermostat were these hooked up to?  That I think is the route to go as each room and bay can have independent control.

Ours had 12v fans, and the thermostats were simple low-voltage RV style thermostats. I believe that the thermostat actually controlled a small relay located next to the fan, to keep from having the full current of the motors running through the thermostat.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2019, 10:24:33 AM »
The auxiliary heating unit that came stock in the coach is there for a reason...

Northern operating busnuts will be cold inside the coach, and the engine will be running cold...

Nothing worse than deadheading an empty coach with one of the pre-emission 4 strokes...if the aux heater wasn't firing, you couldn't get to operating temp, and it was cold inside...

Fool around all you want, but make sure it remains capable of supplementing the coach HVAC, and the engine, when it's winter outside.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2019, 10:39:33 AM »
My plan was to get the Wabesto working again so I have the engine preheat and bringing it the engine up to temp.  I was also thinking of using the Webasto to heat the coach while driving.  The PO unhooked the Webasto so it isn't working at all now.  That I know is not good.  Getting the engine preheat/heat back to the way it was designed is my goal.  My debate is how I want to do the cabin heat.  Either small heat exchanger or the large OTR heater core through ducts. 

Jared

The auxiliary heating unit that came stock in the coach is there for a reason...

Northern operating busnuts will be cold inside the coach, and the engine will be running cold...

Nothing worse than deadheading an empty coach with one of the pre-emission 4 strokes...if the aux heater wasn't firing, you couldn't get to operating temp, and it was cold inside...

Fool around all you want, but make sure it remains capable of supplementing the coach HVAC, and the engine, when it's winter outside.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2019, 02:55:50 PM »
Unwittingly, busnuts turn the camper into a dank tube, with poor air circulation potential.

The stock HVAC handily takes care of air exchange, provided it is functioning as designed.

The stock HVAC is already there, nothing else to do?

Most busnut "aftermarket" solutions don't do the job in winter conditions, insufficient BTU, hot spots, cold spots, poor distribution...

Is my bias showing?

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2019, 03:58:28 PM »
Stock HVAC is fine when on the road but would be like a bandage on a elephants @$# from a mosquito bite  when camping,
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2019, 04:19:10 PM »
That's my bias also. If it ain't broke... If it is broke fix it of course, but it'd be lots of hours and dollars to set up something that will work as well. Not to dis the individual radiators, that's actually fairly cool if you're building from scratch AND electrical power draw is always a concern. You could even go in for a set of the old passive cast iron room radiators if that was your thing. I'm sure there would be something modern that would work better.

But we've learned from central heating that that airflow is generally a good thing, just have to find a way to balance that against current demands. Plenty of ways to skin this cat though. Presently my thoughts lean towards a fairly inexpensive Variable Frequency Drive or VFD. You can get those on ebay for around a hundred bucks for about a 1-2hp drive but it can run the blower motor at any speed you want. Might have to swap out the motor for a 3 phase one... well this gets a little more involved. That'd work fine for shore power and you could cut your airflow down and even regulate it based on your thermostat, but then it wouldn't run on DC. The VFD converts input power to DC and then uses that to generate a 3 phase output but I'm sure the DC section is much more than 28v so tapping into the DC section wouldn't work either. That'd mean driving it off your inverter OTR, maybe not the best solution.

OK, maybe look at retaining the DC motor and using a solid state speed controller on that. I know they make such things but I haven't really worked with them so that would take some research. I expect I will look into it but not this week. It should be a viable solution though.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline windtrader

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2019, 05:42:57 PM »
All it takes when using a diesel fired heating system are the small heat exchangers less work and takes less space than ducts.I had those in each bay of my Eagle and the fans have very little draw plus mine had a thermostat for each bay,this is what I use they come in all kinds of configuration's 1 to 3 fans .I have a dozen or more of these I going dispose of when I clean the shop out this winter   
Humm.. I used the term "duct" inaccurately. There are no true "ducts", heat exchangers with integrated fans are what pushes the heat into the space. There are water lines running from the Webasto to each "duct" or heated air outlet.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline sledhead

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2019, 04:56:56 AM »
I have and like these heat ex changers . They come in one fan 2 fan and 3 fan units and the fan is a muffin 12 volt that is quiet and uses very little power . all you need is 5/8" or 3/4" heater line to and from each heater so you can put them almost anywhere on separate thermostats

https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/Heat-Exchanger-Cozy-III-EXE-103-0EX-EXE-103-0EX.htm

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2019, 05:30:53 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Where do you have these located in your coach?  Do you have any trouble with air flow or cold spots? 

I have and like these heat ex changers . They come in one fan 2 fan and 3 fan units and the fan is a muffin 12 volt that is quiet and uses very little power . all you need is 5/8" or 3/4" heater line to and from each heater so you can put them almost anywhere on separate thermostats

https://www.parts.rvhydronicheaterrepair.com/Heat-Exchanger-Cozy-III-EXE-103-0EX-EXE-103-0EX.htm

dave

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2019, 05:43:17 PM »
Luvrbus

If you are thinking about getting rid of those old exchangers could I have them?  I sent you a PM but then I read on the forum that you don't check those often.  Thanks

Jared

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2019, 08:17:11 PM »
Luvrbus

If you are thinking about getting rid of those old exchangers could I have them?  I sent you a PM but then I read on the forum that you don't check those often.  Thanks

Jared

I am going to rid myself of the exchangers but it will be later while I dispose of stuff when the cleaning starts,you can build exchangers yourself like a friend did he use automotive heater cores from a wrecking yard with muffin fans and told me he only spent 20 bucks each.Must work good for him he lives in Canada 

Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Jcparmley

« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2019, 08:31:59 PM »
Clifford, if you don't mind, just let me know when you are getting rid of them.  It may be a while until I am at that stage.  If you don't need them I could really use them.  I appreciate it. 

Jared

I am going to rid myself of the exchangers but it will be later while I dispose of stuff when the cleaning starts,you can build exchangers yourself like a friend did he use automotive heater cores from a wrecking yard with muffin fans and told me he only spent 20 bucks each.Must work good for him he lives in Canada

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2019, 08:49:08 PM »
Red dot makes individual heater units also.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline sledhead

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2019, 05:14:16 AM »
heat exchange heating units

1 in bed room 1 fan unit

1 in crapper room 1 fan unit

1 in bath room 2 fan unit

1 in kit 3 fan unit

1 in living room up front 2 fan unit

1 in each bay in basement

all are on separate thermostats

when any thermostat turn on it turns on muffin fan,zone pump and boiler that cycles on and off as needed 

If you look in the pic you can see the heating vents near the floor 1 is a cold air return and 1 is the heat vent with the exchange right behind the vent . When the heat is on it heats up the floor in front nice on the feet as well

very easy to control heat anywhere and no cold spots   

dave   
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal