Author Topic: Gaskets  (Read 226 times)

Offline richard5933

Gaskets
« on: October 25, 2019, 11:35:42 AM »
I was looking for new gaskets for the lights on the rear of my 4108, and found that they are not generally available. This is not the first time I ran into this. My original gaskets are made of some type of oil-empregnated fiber material, but I did have one made of a foam neoprene gasket material. That gave me an idea.

I was able to get a large sheet of 3/16" thick foam neoprene gasket material online for about $15. Since the lights use a simple round gasket, I thought these would be an easy test for my laser machine. It's one of the few machines I kept when I closed my wood shop a few years ago, and it's been handy for things like this. My concern was that the machine would burn the material instead of cut it neatly - as an earlier attempt to cut rubber gaskets ended in a charred mess. But, it did quite well and produced a neatly-cut gasket with only a tiny bit of soot around the edges.

The new gasket was used to install a new red lens on the rear of the bus today, and I think I'm onto something here. So, I ordered some 1/16" and 1/8" material to use for other gaskets. My next project will be the gaskets for the corner marker lights, which might be a tad more difficult since they are not a simple circle.

I'd be willing to attempt reproduction of other gaskets out of the foam neoprene if others need them. The only thing I'll need is an accurate template and/or accurate dimensions. One easy way to get that is to scan an original gasket if you have one. Another way is to cut a template from thin cardboard and scan that. I suppose scanning the lens itself would also be helpful. With a scan, I can have the software trace the scanned image to make a cut file. The only cost would be for materials & postage, which is not much.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Custom Coach "Land Cruiser")
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Offline freds

• Platinum Donor
  • 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
Re: Gaskets
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 05:25:11 PM »
Very interesting idea, I found a couple of links that might interest you.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Custom-Gasket-Laser-Cut/

https://www.stockwell.com/laser-vs-waterjet-cut-gaskets/

https://www.gasketfab.com/downloads/LaserProcessing-Mar15.pdf

Maybe try freezing the material, cut, freeze, cut, freeze cut, etc?

Experiment with the power level required.

Interesting story related to Laser cutting, I was volunteering at the local high school in the technology lab and the kids kept messing up placement and wasting the plastic. I suggested that they turn down the power level and cut paper first. They all went great idea!!!

The instructor then informed me that the plastic was donated and the paper came out of his budget LOL!

They were also not allowed to use a paper cutter, so they also had a wide body engineering printer which was variable length, we used that as a paper dispenser to get paper for the laser cutter!!!

Offline richard5933

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
Great links. Thanks.

The hardest part for me when I first got the laser machine was learning how to make the cut files. Once I realized that you can put most anything onto the scanner bed to get a rough design, the rest was a piece of cake. Corel has good tracing features, so anything I can scan can usually be made into a cut file.

I use thin card stock for my trial runs. Much easier to work with and allows me to test fit without wasting the good stuff.

I've also used the laser machine to engrave back-lit switch panels and reverse painted panels. Makes for a very professional finished product.

I've had the machine for years and am still finding new ways to use it.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 (Custom Coach "Land Cruiser")
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
Located in beautiful Wisconsin
KD9GRB

Offline freds

• Platinum Donor
  • 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 09:42:03 AM »
Great links. Thanks.
I've also used the laser machine to engrave back-lit switch panels and reverse painted panels. Makes for a very professional finished product.

I've had the machine for years and am still finding new ways to use it.

Dang that is a very professional looking display that you engraved!!!

What materials do you use to produce it?