Author Topic: This May Be a Crackpot Idea  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
This May Be a Crackpot Idea
« on: October 26, 2019, 05:05:36 PM »
Two of the window sets on each side of my 5a are blocked off on the inside.  When I got the bus, they were fitted with some sort of fiber board and painted black.  These panels began to warp and separate, so we removed them.  A neighbor of mine had a commercial printer, and he was able to print a long panorama of our local Joshua Tree National Park that we then mounted to those windows.  This looked great for a while, but then the inks began to fade and after about 4-5 years they were terrible.  I painted over them with silver paint, and that was okay for a while.  Now the decal that was painted over is severely peeling and has to be removed, and we are also painting the bus, so something else is needed.

I am not going to skin over the windows.  That would look nice, but I think there would be problems with expansion in our desert sun.  I am considering several alternatives to just covering each window with a panel and painting them.  One thought was to cover them with mirror tiles, either glass or plastic.  Does that make sense to anyone?  Any other suggestions?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline richard5933

Re: This May Be a Crackpot Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 05:19:40 PM »
Covering the inside or outside? Not sure that mirror tiles would work on the outside, if that's what you're talking about. Inside? Sure, why not?

If you're looking for something that will look good from the outside, then perhaps just painting them with the same paint you're using on the exterior, only do it from the inside. The color will be the same on the outside, and it will be protected against scratching since the paint is inside. Then I'd cover with something insulating on the inside to keep the heat from the sun from coming through, and then add an interior trim panel to hide the whole thing.
Richard
1974 GMC P8M4108a-125 Custom Coach "Land Cruiser" (Sold)
1964 GM PD4106-2412 (Former Bus)
1994 Airstream Excella 25-ft w/ 1999 Suburban 2500
Located in beautiful Wisconsin

Offline chessie4905

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »
On our 4104 they were covered with formica paneling which was painted black on window side. Nowadays, you may want to cover the inside with sheet foam board,  then panelling or whatever. Consider that any usual water leakage around window can cause mold and rot over time. Seal the window well.
GMC h8h 649#028 (4905)
Pennsylvania-central

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 05:47:53 PM »
Sorry if I was not clear.  Those windows are walled in from the inside behind bathroom, kitchen, closets, etc. Whatever we do must be on the outside.  I guess painting them the same as the rest of the bus is an option. It may look a bit odd though, but within my range of oddness.

Offline richard5933

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 06:13:47 PM »
Sorry if I was not clear.  Those windows are walled in from the inside behind bathroom, kitchen, closets, etc. Whatever we do must be on the outside.  I guess painting them the same as the rest of the bus is an option. It may look a bit odd though, but within my range of oddness.

I've seen lots weirder things than painted over windows. If the over spray on our first bus is any indication, it's possible paint the gaskets as well as the glass, but I'm not sure I'd recommend that. Any good paint shop should be able to get the paint to stick to the windows with some degree of success.

If it is going on the outside, then I'd definitely avoid the mirror thing. I cannot see that ending well once someone in the next lane gets the sun bouncing in their face from your mirrors.
Richard

Offline Van

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 06:27:25 PM »
Lin, Just replace the decal with another made from 3M wrap material, printed or not.
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:00:14 PM »
Lin,

If you did "skin over" the windows, and reinforced them at similar(or shorter) intervals, and used the same or thicker "skin" material, heat would not be a problem.  That said, we each do what works for us.

I skinned over my middle 4 windows(removed and reinforced openings actually) and am happy to have no leaks.  My plan whenever I get a nice paint job is to "paint" the windows back on!  Since my remaining windows are deeply tinted, you really can't see in anyhow, so painting them a deep gray/black would make the bus look like a seated coach.

And you thought you had a crackpot idea!

Steve T
Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:08:07 PM »
Be careful that whatever you do doesn't heat load the glass and crack it.

If you paint over, using a different shade/colour on the frames makes all the difference in curb appeal.

Breaks up the "I used a hose" to paint this...

Lots of good tips here, I like getting some fresh 3M vinyl to put on them.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline freds

• 1980 Prevost Original Motorhome
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:47:56 PM »
Lots of good tips here, I like getting some fresh 3M vinyl to put on them.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior

Go for the curb appeal!!!

Online Jim Blackwood

• Call me Doc, or call me arsehole, just don't call me late to dinner.
  • I'm 25% Farnsworth ;-)> 1996-MCI 102DL3
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 08:52:11 AM »
I like the vinyl idea, I will be keeping all of the windows but will eventually change out the ones in the living areas for new frames with sliders. The rest will probably need something for appearances sake but as they are already tinted, maybe not much. Curtains in the bathroom, opaque panel in the shower, that sort of thing.  Maybe a solar blanket behind the fridge or something like that.

Jim
I saw it on the Internet. It MUST be true...

Offline richard5933

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 09:17:20 AM »
Our Custom Coach came with draperies on all the windows. When they are closed, the bus looks pretty cool from the outside. You couldn't tell if it wasn't an executive coach or a high-end charter with them closed. They put dummy draperies between the kitchen and bathroom walls and the windows so that the curtain line went the full length of the bus.
Richard

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
Like Van the Man said, ours has 3M vinyl wrap on it and has been on it for over the 10 years we have owned it and before for the PO of 10 years. It sticks to the outside and he said they just layed it on, pushed out the air bubbles and cut arount the inside of the frames, done. Ours is black but they have many colors. :)

https://www.fellers.com/fellers-shopping/cat/colored-patterned-wrap-vinyls/sub/colored-wrap-vinyl/set/3m-vinyl-wrap-all-colors
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline windtrader

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 11:37:04 AM »
Dave,Are you suggesting that the 3M vinyl film can hold up for 10 years or more? I had not considered vinyl rather than paint due to much shorter lifespan. If I get 10 years or more, especially if bus is stored under cover, it is an option going back on my project list. If I do pursue this option, I'll have a pro shop do the sides and windows rather than attempting DIY.
Don F
1976 MCI/TMC MC-8 #1286
Fully converted
Bought 2017

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
Dave,Are you suggesting that the 3M vinyl film can hold up for 10 years or more? I had not considered vinyl rather than paint due to much shorter lifespan. If I get 10 years or more, especially if bus is stored under cover, it is an option going back on my project list. If I do pursue this option, I'll have a pro shop do the sides and windows rather than attempting DIY.

I would agree with that. Holding up over ten years would make that an very interesting option.  Especially in my case since two of the windows have cracks that could be nicely hidden.  Some online info seems to suggest that it is an easy DIY project.  Is that true?

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 09:38:28 PM »
There are many different types/grades of this "vinyl" that may be suitable for busnut use.

The discussions on here would be oriented towards the heaviest of these.

The lighter ones, with the printing, and able to see through, would NOT give you years of service.

The lighter variety do not drag through the trees very nicely either...

Be sure you and your vendor understand what you want, and that your needs and wants are in balance.

No unhappy busnuts!

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal