Author Topic: Cell Phone Booster?  (Read 183 times)

Offline tyreman

• 1982 MC9 8V71
Cell Phone Booster?
« on: November 12, 2019, 11:38:38 AM »
What have folks used for a cell phone booster? We use the bus quite often to a location that has a very weak signal and would like to be able to use phone as a hot spot for data and video streaming. After much research I am thinking of actually getting a house unit vs a specific RV/truck model (i.e. Cell Phone Booster for Home Office 4Bands Cell Phone Signal VS weBoost Drive X RV) since I plan on using it only when stationary and having a temporary mast antennae run up when we park.  It has longer supplied cord, more power and uses 120v.  Thoughts?

Offline neoneddy

• Youtube Build Log
Re: Cell Phone Booster?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:29:09 PM »
I have a surecall model that allows up to 75db boost, it's for a home.

I've had trouble with it.  First thing is make sure to have a Yagi antenna, an omni directional will feedback too much.  You need to try and get 40-50 feet of seperation minimum, which is hard to do on a bus, even with a mast.  I've had good luck a few times, but it's been hit or miss, but I've had a hard time getting full seperation.
Raising hell in Ham Lake, MN

1982 MCI MC9

6V92 / 4 Speed Auto (HT740) Video Build Log - Our Bus Conversion Website

Offline sledhead

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:19 PM »
I have used a wilson cell home booster that has been in 2 coach's and works great . Mine is older but similar and is 8 years old and not a 4g

https://wilsonamplifiers.ca/weboost-connect-4g-signal-booster-kit-refurbished-470103fr/

same idea ant. on roof at the back and inside ant. up front

dave
dave , karen
1990 mci 102c  6v92 ta ht740  kit,living room slide .... sold
2000 featherlite vogue vantare 550 hp 3406e  cat
1875 lbs torque  home base huntsville ontario canada

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:32:43 PM »
We've had several boosters.  The only ones that worked consistently for us are the type with a flat plate that you set your phone against.  The ones with the inside and outside antennas haven't worked for us but the other type has been great.  They take a bit of getting used to because your phone is tied to the plate antenna but its not that big a deal.  You can use bluetooth to get to the phone and set up a wifi hotspot for internet access.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)
My website

Contrary to popular belief, wise men do not learn from their own mistakes
They learn from the mistakes of others.

Offline buswarrior

• '75 MC8 8V71 HT740
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »
Don't screw around, these busnut/boaters have it all under control:

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Cheri and Chris make it their business to test and rate all the hardware and cell connections to lead a nomadic lifestyle.

They are right on top of all these matters. For the price of membership, don't waste anymore of your time, just join, do a ton of informed reading, and choose the bits you want to buy.

Happy coaching!
Buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area

Offline tyreman

• 1982 MC9 8V71
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 08:01:06 AM »
Thanks all, good info to digest. I will update with a review after next trip to The Creek! :-)